main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Downfall" (K/J, NJO AU) **COMPLETED 09 March!!**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Okay, I know, the last thing I need right now is to start ANOTHER 'fic, what with having to finish "Aftershock", and needing to update "Not Of This Fold" and "When The Tide Comes", but . . . I had to.

Title: Downfall
    Author: DantanaSkywalker
    Timeframe: NJO
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo
    Keywords: K/J, timetravel
    Summary: Kyp Durron is given a second chance. But is it a good thing?
    Notes: Came up with this one after reading "The Unifying Force". Song lyrics at the beginning of every chapter are from "Downfall", by Matchbox Twenty.

--Chapter One--

Wonder how you sleep
    I wonder what you think of me
    If I could go back
    Would you have ever been with me

-- Matchbox Twenty, "Downfall"

Between Zonama Sekot and Coruscant
    30 Years after the Battle of Yavin

He was flying for all he was worth. His ship, such a wonderful ship, was trying its best, as well. But they were surrounded by a virtual cloud of coralskippers.

He knew it was over moments before the firestorm engulfed him. He turned his eyes to Coruscant, the new Yuuzhan-tar, where his heart went with a young woman who, for all he knew, was already dead.

Then his ship was falling silent, and the molten plasma of the coralskippers' attack was eating through the hull. He felt the ship die.

His last, dying wish was that he could have seen her again, held her. Even if she didn't want him. He wished he could have done things over.

Moments later, as space pulled at his battered form, he remerged with the Force.

----------

A docking bay
    The Sernpidal system
    27 Years after the Battle of Yavin

A shudder wracked him, his feet hitting the solid durasteel floor, and Kyp Durron's gloved fist closed around the ladder attached to his X-wing. The memory of his ship falling apart around him was still fresh in his mind. But he was standing next to the X-wing that was undeniably his.

Cheering broke out around him. He looked up, towards the sound, and saw a young woman striding towards him. She'd just pulled off her flight helmet, and dark, damp hair hung around her tired and angry face.

He realised with an almost detached fascination that he was experiencing it all over again, the moment after the second battle of Sernpidal, after they'd destroyed the worldship, when Jaina Solo had slapped him.

As Jaina stormed towards him, he wondered if this was a dream, if he hadn't died, and he was dreaming. If it was a dream . . .

Kyp caught Jaina's upraised hand and used it to tug her close. "Not this time, Goddess," he growled, and his mouth crushed down on hers.

He realised two things immediately: Jaina wasn't responding as she always did in his dreams . . . and this was very real.

Jaina stiffened in his arms, shocked and furious. She shoved at his chest, breaking from the seal of his mouth with a curse she'd picked up from her father.

"What was that for?" she demanded.

Kyp stared at her, still too shocked to move. This wasn't a dream. Did that mean everything else had been a vision? Some horrible vision of a possible future?

Then she slapped him.

-------------------------------------------------------

Dana

2. EBrooklynW

EBrooklynW Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    Hehehe Kyppie got slapped.

POST MORE NOW!

Chocolate covered Kyps for you if you doo...

~EBW

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Okay. :D

--Chapter Two--

I want you to be unused
    I want you to remember
    I want you to believe in me
    I want you on my side

The Sernpidal System
    27 Years after the Battle Of Yavin

Jaina wasn't sleeping well. She'd spent several hours in her bunk, alternately fuming, crying, and attempting to sort out the very strange actions of Kyp Durron.

He'd kissed her.

Kyp Durron had kissed her.

The thought of it brought back that strange flutter in her stomach. She felt her cheeks grow warm. Kyp had kissed her. She'd been thinking about it almost non-stop for an hour.

Jaina drew her knees up and wrapped her arms around them. She couldn't sort out why he'd done it, but she knew she'd enjoyed it, even as angry with him as she'd been. And it brought back all those thoughts she'd had back on his ice base, and on Chandrila. Force, every time she thought about him lately, she got that fluttery feeling. And now he'd gone and kissed her.

She pondered the question of him teaching her, taking her on as his apprentice. What had his motives been? Was this kiss something that had developed before or after that request?

Jaina got up and started pacing. This new development just made her more confused. She'd been feeling betrayed when she'd gone after him, and then he'd distracted her rather well, replacing that anger with a new one. How dare he grab her in front of everyone and kiss her like that?

She stopped, remembering the confused look on his face, the sudden smirk when he saw her. He'd anticipated her action. How had he done that, when she herself hadn't known until she'd reached him that she was going to slap him?

He'd watched her approach, then grabbed her . . .

Not this time, Goddess.

"Not this time?" she wondered aloud. "I haven't slapped him before."

His use of "Goddess" to address her surfaced in her memory again. Where had that come from? He'd called her Sticks before. That, or Rogue Eleven. Or Munchkin.

Where had "Goddess" come from?

And why did Kyp look so much older than he had just hours before?

A moment later, she was running out the door.

----------

Kyp lay on his own bunk, staring at the ceiling.

Had it all just been a dream?

There was, of course, another possibility. The Force could have shown him the future, to prepare him for it.

Or . . .

The Force had given him a second chance.

Kyp closed his eyes tightly, shuddering. If the Force had granted him that, surely it had a purpose for him. It had left him with his memory intact. Memories and knowledge that could save lives.

That could save the life of Anakin Solo.

His eyes flew wide and he sat up. He could do it. He'd been briefed on the mission to Myrkr. He could prepare, could go along . . . or stop Anakin from going.

As soon as he had the thought, he stopped. No. Anakin's self-sacrifice had let the others live. The mission had been to stop the voxyn. If Kyp interferred . . . he could cause more damage than everything he'd ever done in his life combined.

He looked at his hands. They were the same hands he'd been seeing every day for years. He couldn't see anything different-

Kyp's green eyes widened. There was a scar at the base of his thumb. He distinctly remembered getting that on Mon Cal, in his apartment, when he'd been trying to open a food canister and had sliced his hand on a rough edge. And the new scar running across the back of his wrist was from Caluula.

It wasn't a dream.

A chill shot through him as his mind raced.

He had a crystal-clear memory of that morning. Both of them. He could remember with perfect clarity what he'd had for dinner the night before Sernpidal . . . and before Coruscant.

Somehow, he was more than two years back in time.

A pounding at his door startled him out of his stupor. He jumped to his feet and went to answer it.

Jaina shoved her way in and stopped in the middle of the rather cramped room, hands on her hips. "Why di

4. EBrooklynW

Apr 11, 2003
    o_O I like this magic... I say post and you post!

so POST!

Chocolate covered kyps for you....

~EBW

5. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Very interesting so far, Dana. Cant't wait to see what else you come up with. :)

~~Jilly

6. Jez_3-14159265358979

Jez_3-14159265358979 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    Dana girl. it's good to see ya.

Jez

7. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Holy cow! Screw the symposium tomorrow, Dana. I loved this. If I ask for another post, can we get one? Dang. Dang dang dang. I loved this part!:

Kyp caught Jaina's upraised hand and used it to tug her close. "Not this time, Goddess," he growled, and his mouth crushed down on hers.

He realised two things immediately: Jaina wasn't responding as she always did in his dreams . . .

LOL!! My guess is, she was a bit more...responsive in his dreams?

Kudos to Jaina for picking up all the little things that are out of place. But why did Kyp pass out? No! Kyp must not pass out...it makes me want to hug him.

Considering it's Kyp, though, I don't think that's a bad thing...

Oh! And then you flashed back to the future/current Jaina. Whatever. So...how does that fit in?? Unless, the future/current Jaina (depending on how you look at it) doesn't die, and wants Kyp back. Ah ha...is that why his going back in time could be a bad thing?

-Mia

8. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    This is confusing. But I like confusing. Great start! Do keep posting!

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    EBW - o_O I like this magic... I say post and you post!

so POST!

Chocolate covered kyps for you....

Ha. No magic, I just felt like posting.

. . . But I'll take the Kyps. :D

Jilly - Very interesting so far, Dana. Cant't wait to see what else you come up with.

Thanks. This is going to be an . . . interesting one.

Jez - Dana girl. it's good to see ya.

You, too. :) How ya doin'? How's the Marine? ;)

Mia - Holy cow! Screw the symposium tomorrow, Dana. I loved this. If I ask for another post, can we get one? Dang. Dang dang dang. I loved this part!:

Well, I'm gonna be there . . . eventually . . . Really.

LOL!! My guess is, she was a bit more...responsive in his dreams?

Well, yeah, if it's HIS dreams!

Kudos to Jaina for picking up all the little things that are out of place. But why did Kyp pass out? No! Kyp must not pass out...it makes me want to hug him.

Considering it's Kyp, though, I don't think that's a bad thing...

I'm not sure. I don't explain that.

Oh! And then you flashed back to the future/current Jaina. Whatever. So...how does that fit in?? Unless, the future/current Jaina (depending on how you look at it) doesn't die, and wants Kyp back. Ah ha...is that why his going back in time could be a bad thing?

You'll see . . .

Elfsheen - This is confusing. But I like confusing. Great start! Do keep posting!

Thanks. It's meant to be a little confusing. Imagine how KYP feels!

--Chapter Three--

Come on and lay it down
    I've always been with you
    Here and now

Somewhere in space
    27 Years after the Battle Of Yavin

Kyp woke to the infirmary, and an overwhelming sense of confusion. "What?"

Movement drew his attention, and a moment later, Jaina appeared beside him.

"You're awake," she said with relief. "I was worried. You've been out for three days."

"Three days?!" He tried to sit up. "I'm supposed to be on my way to the 'Errant Venture'!"

Jaina pushed him back down. "Hold on, flyboy. You're on the 'Venture'."

His breath slowly left him. "Oh. So . . How are Luke and Mara? And Ben?"

"They're fine. It's you I- we've been worried about." Jaina's smooth brow furrowed. "How did you know they named the baby Ben?"

Kyp opened his mouth, then closed it. He sighed. "Jaina . . . I can't tell you."

She snorted. "What, did you have some big vision? Is that why you blacked out?"

He hesitated. Well, it was the perfect explanation, handed to him on a silver platter. "Yes. I . . . had a vision."

She sat in the chair by his bed. "Tell me."

Kyp swallowed. "I saw Mara, and Luke, and Ben. I . . . also saw other things."

"Like what?"

"Things I can't tell you right now, Jaina. Things that . . . I know you're mad at me, for the worldship, but Jaina, it was necessary. I know you can't see that right now, but it was."

She looked at him for a moment, then asked, "Did you see that in your vision?"

"Yes. That was in there, too." He looked into her suddenly trusting eyes, and couldn't tell her. Not yet.

Jaina looked at him for several long moments, then said, "I'm going to meet up with Uncle Luke and Aunt Mara. Um . . . Do you want to go with me?"

She stopped, and felt like kicking herself. Where had that offer come from?

He must have sensed her awkwardness, because he said, "No, thank you. I'd probably better rest some more."

"Okay." Jaina nodded, perhaps too enthusiastically. "I'll, uh . . . see you later."

It wasn't until she'd reached her own quarters that she'd forgotten to ask him all of her burning questions.

----------

Lying on his bed several days later, Kyp outlined his plan.

Everything he'd done and regretted, he wouldn't do.

Everyone he could save, he would.

And Force help him, he'd keep Jagged Fel the Sith away from Jaina.

He knew that he wouldn't see Jaina for several months

10. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Not confusing, intriguing. And I look forward very excitedly to more :)

11. EBrooklynW

Apr 11, 2003
    Lets try this again because I KNOW its magic

POST MORE NOW!!!

well Magic and I know you have the majority of the chapter 4 written
    So POST!

very intriguing. I Like this story... I want KYppie/Jaina Mush! LIKE NOW!

~EBW

12. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    ooo...this is cool! So different and unexpected! please get more out soon

EJ

13. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    This is terribly interesting...I like your recent plots that are so completely different than anything else on the boards...

I wonder, though, in his attempt to "fix" things, will he ruin everything? 8-}

Is it too soon to ask for more?

14. Jez_3-14159265358979

Jez_3-14159265358979 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    Dana I"m doing great. and the marine is not to bad either.... ;) i was in slc last weekend but got sick and had to come home early. anyhow.... MORE please.

Jez

15. JainaDurron

Aug 8, 2002
    Hmm. Very intriguing yet again. I can tell this is going to be interesting. Looking forward to more.

~~Jilly

16. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Ooh! Yeah, visions, eh? Nice recovery.

Kyp Kyp Kyp.... Eeeeep. Dana, I really wish I'd gotten a better look at that notebook!!! Your handwriting isn't that bad. *bg*

-Mia

17. SaberBlade

SaberBlade Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2001
    Wow, another fic from Dana that I can definitely obsess over.

And Force help him, he'd keep Jagged Fel the Sith away from Jaina. LOL! Loved it. I hope he doesn't mess things up by trying to fix things.

I liked the interplay on the "Goddess" title. I hope Kyp keeps slipping up and calling her that and confusing her. ;) A confused Jaina is always good, especially around Kyp.

I also liked the fact that Kyp has obviously dreamed about Jaina. Seemed like something he would do.

What's going to happen with (30 years after the battle of Yavin) Jaina now that she knows Kyp is gone?

-Saber

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks for the comments. I'll reply in detail in just a minute.

Okay, now, after this chapter, I'll need some suggestions. What things do you guys think would change? I've got a limited amount of space in which to cram a couple of years' worth of stuff.

--Chapter Four--

Give all that's within you
    Be my savior
    And I'll be your downfall

Eclipse
    28 Years after the Battle of Yavin

Jaina was startled when she walked into the cafeteria and found Kyp Durron leaning back in a chair, hands behind his head, staring at the ceiling. Instantly, the memory of his kiss six months before made her face heat, cheeks a deep pink.

His feet suddenly hit the ground and she found that he was looking at her, dark eyes intent. She swallowed, feeling fluttery all over again.

"Stop it, Solo," she muttered.

Having no real alternative, Jaina went over and joined him.

"I'm surprised to see you here," she said.

"Called here by Luke," he said. "Have to do what Master Skywalker wants."

Though the words were typically flippant, it was said without his usual rancor towards the Jedi Master, and Jaina blinked. She was more and more aware of Kyp's sudden change.

Actually, he'd been different since Sernpidal.

"Why are you so eager to please Uncle Luke?" she asked.

Kyp eyed her in silence for a moment, then said, "There are things I need to discuss with Luke."

"More vision stuff?"

He hesitated, then said, "Yeah. Something like that."

"Wow. You always said you were more powerful in the Force . . . I don't think even Uncle Luke's had so many visions."

His lie prickled at him, but Kyp managed to say, "Not too many . . . Just extremely detailed."

Jaina glanced at her wrist chrono. "Well, if you wanna talk to him, now's the time. We're meeting in twenty minutes."

----------

She found herself standing next to him at the meeting, which was entirely of Jedi except for her father's presence. Jaina tried to ignore him, but for some reason, she was hypersensitive to his presence.

Cilghal was discussing her findings regarding the voxyn. Jaina found her attention drifting, lingering on the handsome Jedi to her right. Annoyed with herself, she jerked her eyes back to the Calamarian Jedi.

"Myrkr," Cilghal was saying.

What were they talking about? She'd missed a lot, apparently. A mission to Myrkr? Yes, they were planning a mission to Myrkr to destroy the cloning facilities.

Anakin volunteered, and Jacen. Jaina rolled her shoulders and sighed. Might as well make it three for three.

Her parents started arguing. Jaina glanced at Kyp, and saw he was watching not her, but Anakin. And he had the most pained expression she'd ever seen on his face.

A chill washed over her. That was what Kyp wasn't telling her. Something was going to happen to Anakin.

"You can't go!" she said suddenly, turning to her youngest sibling.

Everyone looked at her.

"Why?" Anakin demanded.

Suddenly, hands were on her shoulders. Without looking, she knew it was Kyp.

"He has to, Goddess," his voice murmured in her ear. "There's no other way."

She turned, looked up into his eyes, brown in the light of the infirmary.

"Don't worry," he said, loud enough for the others to hear. "I'm going along, too. I'm expendible, right?"

----------

"I don't want you to go."

Kyp looked up at Jaina's voice. She was in the door of his bedroom. He hadn't even heard her come in. He sighed.

"I have to, Jaina. I know what's going to happen. I figure . . . maybe the people who die . . . Maybe I can keep them from dying."

She clenched her fists. "Something's going to happen to Anakin, isn't it? He's gonna die."

He crossed over to her in the blink of an eye and wrapped his arms around her. "Jaina . . . I will do my best to keep that from happening. I swear to you."

"How? By sacrificing yourself?" She shoved against his chest. "I don't want- I don't want anyone to die. There's been enough of it on our side."

H

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Risste - I don't believe we've met. Nice to meet you. :)

Not confusing, intriguing. And I look forward very excitedly to more

Thank you. :) I can't take all the credit for it, though. A lot of it is due to my plotbunny. And Chris Carter. Oh, and the guy who wrote "The Wizard of Oz".

EBW well Magic and I know you have the majority of the chapter 4 written
    So POST!

Done. :)

very intriguing. I Like this story... I want KYppie/Jaina Mush! LIKE NOW!

Also, done. :)

Eowyn_Jade - ooo...this is cool! So different and unexpected! please get more out soon

Thanks, I'm glad I still have it in me to be different. Oh, and chapter 4 has been posted. :)

Jedi_Jaina_Durron - This is terribly interesting...I like your recent plots that are so completely different than anything else on the boards...

Blame Troy Denning. After he kept Jag and Jaina together, I just had to do SOMETHING.

I wonder, though, in his attempt to "fix" things, will he ruin everything?

Hmm. You'll ahve to wait and see.

Is it too soon to ask for more?

Never too soon to ask. :)

Jez - Dana I"m doing great. and the marine is not to bad either.... i was in slc last weekend but got sick and had to come home early. anyhow.... MORE please.

That's good to hear. So when are you coming down next?

JainaDurron - Hmm. Very intriguing yet again. I can tell this is going to be interesting. Looking forward to more.

Interesting . . . but right now it's shorter than I want. I need more detail, more . . . stuff! It's not nearly as in-depth as I want, and I'm struggling.

Mia - Ooh! Yeah, visions, eh? Nice recovery.

:p

Kyp Kyp Kyp.... Eeeeep. Dana, I really wish I'd gotten a better look at that notebook!!! Your handwriting isn't that bad. *bg*

It's better than YOURS! What surprised me is that you were trying so hard to get my notebook.

SaberBlade - Wow, another fic from Dana that I can definitely obsess over.

Heh heh.

I liked the interplay on the "Goddess" title. I hope Kyp keeps slipping up and calling her that and confusing her. A confused Jaina is always good, especially around Kyp.

Yes. Most excellent. Mwaahahahaha!

I also liked the fact that Kyp has obviously dreamed about Jaina. Seemed like something he would do.

Duh!

What's going to happen with (30 years after the battle of Yavin) Jaina now that she knows Kyp is gone?

Hmm. Very good question.

Okay, okay, I'm being very unhelpful, but like I'm gonna just blurt out the answers! [face_laugh]

Dana

20. JainaDurron

Aug 8, 2002
    Very nice. And the almost kisses...

Hmm. What to keep and what to change? Well ultimately anything he changes is going to REALLY change things in the long run. I don't know, Dana, it's really hard to say.

~~Jilly

21. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    *groan* This isn't gonna be good. Changing the past is never good...is it??

Edit:

It's better than YOURS! What surprised me is that you were trying so hard to get my notebook.

LOL, I wanted a peek at the outline of the story! I can't resist time travel stories. And my handwriting is exactly why I got myself a Pocket PC, thank you very much, which did come in very handy tonight. ;)

-Mia

22. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    It's still a bit confusing but i can see something through the mists...or it's just too early to read..since I can't sleep!

Keep going! Going to update your other story too soon?

23. EBrooklynW

Apr 11, 2003
    I'm thinking the next time you give me "mush" You will make it ACTUAL mush.. with the kissy and cuteness.. none of this self denial stuff.

So Post 5 and get Mykyr over with and then gimme mush. Totally,

Good Post BTW

~EBW

24. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    so quick to update! Bravo! wonderful post!

EJ

25. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Same. :) I'm engrossed. Can't wait for more. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.