main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, GA Downtown Atlanta Traffic on I-75/85

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Frank-0-Sport, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank-0-Sport

Frank-0-Sport Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2003
    Greetings ...

Looking forward to being at DragonCon 2008. Hope you all are too!

Does anyone have the latest news on the I-75/85 downtown road project that is still in progress? If the key exits to Williams Street are still blocked off, DragonCon attendees like myself will need to know the best alternate route (if such exists) to and from the convention.

Thanx-A-Lot, Enjoy and Be Safe, Frank-0-Sport

2. Cosmic_Knight

Cosmic_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    After seeing your post I started looking into this.

Here is the a website for Georgia's road closure and traffic conditions: www.georgia-navigator.com

It does not mention any specific exit closures, but it does mention this:

DOWNTOWN ATLANTA: AVOID I-75/I-85 SB THIS LABOR DAY WEEKEND
    9 pm Fri. Aug. 29 - 5 am Tues. Sept. 2: Major lane closures are scheduled at the I-75/I-85 southbound merge (Brookwood Interchange) this Labor Day Weekend:

- I-85 southbound: Reduced to 2 lanes at the I-75 merge
    - I-75 southbound: Reduced to 1 lane at the I-85 merge

This work will cause EXTREME SOUTHBOUND DELAYS in Midtown and Downtown Atlanta, and on both I-85 and I-75 southbound nearing the work zone. Motorists attending Downtown events are strongly urged to use MARTA. Drivers traveling to areas outside of Atlanta should use I-285 and go around the city.

This link is given for more information: Labor Day Closures

3. Frank-0-Sport

Frank-0-Sport Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2003
    Greetings ...

Thanks CK. I have figured out that coming up the northbound part of the Interstate may not be as bad as the Southbound would be. Still, I have worked out a couple of alternative routes in and out of the downtown area.

For the record, I will be coming up from the Columbus GA / Phenix City AL area on I-185/85. I plan on staying at a motel in Stockbridge, coming and going from there on I-75.

At the web-site you referred me to, the construction alert message is good, but fails to provide specific EXIT NUMBERS, which some folks might identify with better than exit names. Took me quite a while to figure that the "Brookwood Exchange" is the point north of downtown where I-75 and I-85 join together.

Thanx-A-Lot, Enjoy and Be Safe, Frank-0-Sport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.