main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Downtown L.A. Road Trip

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Just a FYI to let FF-ers know that today's the day for the first LAFF Road Trip to downtown Los Angeles and the convention center area. As soon as we get back my little intrepid band will put our notes and pictures together, and begin the process of giving you all the information about L.A. and Southern California that you'd ever want to see. You'll know it as well as we do, before we're done :).

Wish us luck -- it's going to be hot out there today. We may have to find a cantina to drop into [face_laugh] .

2. Underpaid_Soldier

Underpaid_Soldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Awesome! Thanks so much, may the Force be with you!

3. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    Great! Thanks so much! Have fun! We are all looking forward to your report! :)

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Don't forget the bag of bricks!!
    [face_laugh]

5. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Have fun with that and I'm looking forward to the report!! :)

6. SSDExecutor

SSDExecutor Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    That will be a huge help, thanks in advance ValedaKor (and anyone else who can make it)! I can't wait to see what you post - and don't forget to include you cantina stop if you make one ;)

7. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Ya know, the enthusiasm level was very low when I mentioned this... LOL. However, I will do my best to have them see the error of their ways, and I'm very sure we'll see a "trip with bricks" very soon. Or not.

8. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Thanks guys for doing this. It's great to see the LA FF coming together in the way the Indy Knights did as far as researching and giving those of us who've never been to LA before information about the city and the con center. A list of hotels and distance from the con center would be very much appreciated. I will probably be trying to arrive either sometime sunday or monday before the con and plan on spending one day in Hollywood at Universal and visiting other places. One day will be devoted to Disneyland from open til close. And one day will be spent either in San Diego at the zoo or Sea World and then hitting up a beach for a sunset over the ocean, something I've never seen before. Of course, I'll have the girlfriend along for the ride so I also am interested in some of the clubs/bars in the area as well as a list of concerts/events happening at the staples center or other places that week. Then of course on Thurs the con begins and we'll be pretty much sticking to local bars/restuarants in the area in the evenings and doing con stuff. Keep us informed of what all there is to do so we can make the most of our trip!

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll be up in the neighborhood for Superman Returns at the Chinese Theater at the end of the month. I'll try and spot any other small things that you guys don't catch/notice (not that there should be much; I mean, you guys only LIVE there. :p )

10. Psxjedi76

Psxjedi76 FanForce Chapter Rep star 4 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    thanks guys for doing this

11. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Well, our trip was quite a success despite the heat (90 degrees F)! For this trip, our goal was to explore the area immediately around the Los Angeles Convention Center. We got a look inside the LACC, scoped out places to park, and visited two nearby hotels. VK is going to do a nice little write-up of all this stuff but since I was the designated photographer, I'll post the pictures for those who expressed interest. Any questions, just ask... :)

Los Angeles Convention Center Photos

Hotel Figueroa Photos

Holiday Inn City Center Photos

Blue Line (nearest rail station) Photos

GoogleEarth Map (with parking and hotels):
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/theatrejedi/Star%20Wars%20Celebration%204/C4%20Prep/Maps/LACCGoogleEarth.jpg]

Mapquest Map:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/theatrejedi/Star%20Wars%20Celebration%204/C4%20Prep/Maps/LACCMap.jpg]

12. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Thanks for posting the pictures
    LA live they are building a hilton on there along with other things right???

13. buggyvirus1

buggyvirus1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    Talk about uping my excitement. These pictures are awesome, and Hotel Figueroa is so close (though not as close as Holiday inn.) You guys did a big favor taking pictures and scoping the place. Thank you so much. I can't wait to recieve more info!!

14. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yep, at least that's what the signs say!

Thanks to NP for posting the pictures. It was an inspiring day, to say the least. I for one didn't realize how much parking there actually is around the convention center ('course, with the way they are building downtown, hopefully it will all be there by this time next year). And we walked ALL the way around -- and I swear, it was 100 degrees down there on the street LOL.

One thing that's immmediately noticeable -- even though there was an event going on at the South Hall (L.A. Home Show) there was no traffic; none. Just not a lot going on in that part of town on weekends. Now, no, this doesn't mean that the streets won't get busy, just that regular city traffic disappears on the weekends.

Anyway, when I get my thoughts together, I'll post the information we gleaned. I'm resting now at home :).

15. SSDExecutor

SSDExecutor Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Ditto to that buggy, those pics really got me excited about it too! Thanks for running around out there and grabbing those for us!!

16. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

You all ROCK! :)

Much appreciated, and it looks really pretty there too! did you see that blue sky??? so cool! :)

17. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Yes, the skies are clear and blue here in LA. I took some pictures of the Convention Center last Monday, which would be the same time as the C4 was last year (does that make sense?). I'll post the pictures later. The weather here is totally opposite of what it was like at Indy at C3. Now I just jinxed it so there will be a torrential downpour next year ;). We at the LAFF are happy to help the Fan Force out in answering questions about our beloved City. Feel free to drop by our forum too!

18. Underpaid_Soldier

Oct 3, 2003
    Thanks so much for taking the time to check out the area and take photos, we really appreciate it!

19. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Thank you very much for taking the time to help us out of towners out this way. =D=

20. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
  21. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Hooray for NaboosPrincess!!!

Wow, you worked FAST!

I have video, I just have to get to a Mac so I can edit it and put the results up on YouTube.

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Just an FYI -- and to show you how first I can let you guys know things LOL. I had posted a response to this stating yes, it was a Hilton going up; today, in the Los Angeles Business Journal the word is out that Marriott International is taking over the contract. There's going to be a Marriott Marquis and a Ritz-Carlton in the space.

The article goes on to state that "the 1,100 room convention center hotel is the crown jewel of the L.A. Live project, which also includes a 7,100-seat theater, shops, restaurants, a nightclub, movie theaters and ESPN's new West Coast broadcast center." Unfortunately it doesn't talk about a completion date for all this; and based on the hole in the ground that's there, they'd have to work 24 hours a day to have all of this done by May of next year. I believe I read somewhere that it's scheduled for completion in 2008.

23. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    At least it will be ready for 2009 and Celebration V.

Too bad it won't for Celebration IV.

24. Underpaid_Soldier

Oct 3, 2003
    Just imagine if it was completed before CIV, there will be a lot more rooms for the travelers, not to mention outside-the-convention activities (theater, shops, restaurants). You wouldn't have to walk around downtown LA to find a place to eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.