main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson DOWNTOWN LIGHT PARADE - Saturday December 9th

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by dialswiftjustice, Nov 3, 2006.

1. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, to me, this sounds kind of cool. It will be in the evening so out sabers would look great. It would cost $50.00 to enter a float, additional 30.00 per vehicle (I put in a call to see if the floats have to be self propelled or can be towed),

We would be in the non-profit category

but otherwise if we wanted to walk it it would cost just 25.00, but its a long walk

The application has to be in by December 1st and the parade is Saturday the 9th. We could also win a cash prize.

Here are the rules
    http://www.downtowntucson.org/cmsFiles/06POLapp.pdf
    What think you?

EDIT title change requested

2. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    Check to make sure our weapons (sabers, blasters) aren't banned. Other than that, sounds cool.

3. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    I think it costs alot for us to walk or drive in a parade for THIER event...I would think they might be greatful to have us show up in all our glory, but I guess not. If we can participate while handing out TFF, 501st, and ULTRASABERS cards then it may be worth the costs. Make a poll on this Dusty. I am in...I just think its a little expensive.

4. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Its not 25.00 per person, if thats the way I made it sound, it 25.00 per group. So I dont think its that bad, plus we would be seen by hundreds lining the streets, and the last thing they would expect is to see vader and lightsabers in a holiday parade! plus this is a tucson event, and are we not a tucson non profit??

5. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    It would appear that lightsabers would be allowed under General Rule No. 2, once again, though, NO WEAPONS FOR THE WOOKIEE!(stupid humans!!!)

If I read the application form properly, it would be 50 bucks for the group, 35 bucks if we have a vehicle up to fifteen feet long, and 25 bucks for the group which allows ANY members, who want to, to walk with the vehicle. So we are looking at a ballpark figure of $110.00 if we drive a vehicle and walk, or $75.00 if all we do is hoof it.

I have a conceptial idea for the float. "WHY ONE SHOULDN'T GIFTWRAP A LIGHTSABER". Think of a Christmas tree in flames!(fake flames)

6. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, lets hear who wants to do this?

then lets hear who wants to try and build/have a "float?"

7. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm sorry to ahve to bring this up but....

You want to maybe build a float? How long did it take to build the backdrop?

Sure sounds like it's too much to do in a short time.

Just IMHO. I'm not even in Tucson so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.

8. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    the "float" can be as simple as a flat bed trailer with star wars table cloths around the sides, or we can just march in it

9. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    First things first. Does anybody have a flatbed trailer or know where we could get one on loan?

10. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    No offense, but personally, I don't think this could work out. I mean, how long have we been working on the backdrops? A float is just a little bigger of a project, and we have like 3 weeks. Its not that it doesn't sound fun, but unless we got a really neat float together, got enough people to give money, and got enough people in costume commited to it, its not gonna work. I can't imagine being in a Wookiee suit walking an entire parade in the sun in stilts and fur, with kids yelling at me and music blaring everywhere. Just my 2 cents...

11. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    I cannot imagine it, either, Mike, since the parade begins at 6:00 PM, well over an hour AFTER sunset.

Seriously, if we choose to enter, we can do one of the following things:
    1. All of us walk. The website didn't show a map or state the route's length. This is an obvious concern.
    2. Some of us walk, some of us ride in the back of a pickup truck. We have enough trucks available to do this.
    3. Make a bonafide float. This will be the toughest of the three. For my idea, "Why You Shouldn't Giftwrap a Lightsaber", we would need a fake Christmas tree that can be "broken" in two, an old chair that we can cut in half, and a way to make smoke, plus some mini-fans, lights, and strands of white silk.

12. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005

I thinkwe shuld nick name Mike Nay-Say!!

First, this was an idea, I have not committed the group, nor would I without a consensus. Second, a float is not required there are going to be alot of walking groups. Third, we do not need to make it extravagant, just use light, I called the rep today and she said as long as it uses light, it can just be a decorated truck! Hence my suggestion about the flatbed with star wars table cloths on the sides. We could have the less mobile characters on the flatbed, or stage a duel with darth and some other jedi scum. Or ALL be ont he truck and trailer. I thuink a straigh up flatbed with characters on it waving lightsabers, maybe throwig glow sticks tot he crow would be cool, we can have some banners (I can make them) on either side saying Merry Sithmas or something, and wrap ropelgith around the dark and lightsides. We can also have music playing fromt he flatbed, an if time permits (I am well aware we only have a few weeks and no money), make something simple like a Mustafar set with a small brown fabric covered volcano (red rope light coming down from the top). Keep in mind we do not need to have something like a rose parade float, I think some people are put off by the term float, we really just need something the less mobile and vision imparied helmeted ones can ride on.
    Also the map is actualy here, I posted a link to the application only

http://www.downtowntucson.org/

Here is the route
    [image=http://www.downtowntucson.org/cmsFiles/06_POL_Map.jpg]

I just thought since this is an annual Tucson Event attended by hundreds it would be a great way to let them know we exist. Plus it wuld help cement us in the minds of the city as a bonafide charity group

And Tucson Roller Derby will be there!!

13. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    But next year we build.....

http://www.alexkung.com/scale/atst/atst.htm

14. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hey guys, since Cat asked me to keep an eye on the boards I'm going to say:

1. This needs to be put on the agenda for the next meeting and voted on - it is a heavy expense during a month that is already expensive. To ask people to commit funds at this late date is not very sensitive.

2. Consider it for next year and start planning it for next year now. That is one of the reasons the Howl-o-ween event was so successful. People can donate funds along the way towards the entrance fee and you could even look into a sponsor.

3. Have you considered attending this as a spectators inside of participants? This IS, after all, the Fan Force and not a strictly costuming group. Part of being in Fan Force is getting together to do things - not just doing appearances and charity events. :)

Also, attending the event will give you an idea of what the different entrants have done and what the expectations are.

15. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Thanks Jada, this definetly needs to be put on the agenda, but the event is only two weeks away from the meeting, so if we decided to build something we would have even less time so I brought this forward as soon as I found out about it.

If we advertised a sponsor we would not be able to enter under the nonprofit category.

You're absolutely right this is not a costuming group, and I should have made it clear that non costumed members can walk or ride to!

16. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Nothing says Christmas in the Old Pueblo quite as much as Jedi and Sith hacking away at each other with green and red lightsabers.

"Ooooooooooh, feel the warmth of the Holidays, Sith Scum!"
    "Yeah, well "Jedi" this!"

17. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I'm just pointing out that this group is almost exclusively doing events that are charity/promotional in nature. You have a wonderful opportunity to scout out this event to do proper preparement for next year.

It would be prudent to get your ducks in a row rather than rush into this and throw everyone into a tizzy to get this ready during the already busy and stressful holiday.

btw - has anyone even called Cat and discussed this with her?

18. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    No one has been committed to anything yet. All that has been done on this thread is an idea for an activity has been suggested. We are discussing the details so when this idea is proposed at the meeting on the 19th, we will have a more concrete proposal and can answer any possible questions that fellow members are bound to have.
    At that point, AND ONLY AT THAT POINT, will the GROUP DECIDE whether or not to participate.
    IF, and I repeat, IF the group decides to go with this idea, we will only have three weeks from the meeting date, and two weeks to get the application in, before the event itself takes place. That is why we are talking about it NOW, less than two weeks before the November meeting, to try to get as much of a headstart on this project IF the GROUP DECIDES to go with it.

Your suggestions are fine, but what I resent is the tone of your opening line. Are you suggesting that because Cat isn't here, we aren't allowed to discuss any new proposals or ideas without her or your blessing? That is how it sounds to me. If I'm wrong, then I apologise, but I wasn't aware that I needed anyone's approval to discuss ideas to present at meetings.

19. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    As a Chapter Representative Cat is the facilitator/moderator of this forum. She gives guidance and direction to the group and is responsible to theforce.net message board staff. For an event this major with a possible expensive cash outlay she should at least be made aware of what is going on.

You can discuss whatever you want as long as it is within in the Rules of Conduct and the Terms of Service. I am concerned about the group that I was very active in burning out because people are overcommitting to events and projects. As someone who is a bit more removed I can see how much is on the plates of the group. I'm pointing out what needs to be pointed out. Mike pointed it out, Damien pointed it out and I am.

20. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    chill out "ya'll"

its a good idea..for a chance at recruitment, and publication.

This is supposed to be a HOBBY..not Bicker Fest 101.

The glass is half FULL

21. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    I called jake today to find out when Cat is going to be back in town for this reason. I dont wantt o bug her when she is seeing her kids, and after all, as Jack said, all this is is discussin, and Cat has, several times, referred to meembers to talk about upcoming events to vote on whether we want to participate (like referring to Chris at the last meeting reference the wish tree event).

The cool thing about this event is we can go either way. Build something, tow something, or just walk. I spoke to the director today who said he really doesnt care as long as lights are used in some way, and he seemed excited to have lightsabers involved.

He even said, "this would be a great opportunity to promote your group"

SO please dont think we are committing to anything, I have only asked questions. I asked a ton of the guy, so does anyone have any I might be able to answer??

22. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    I saw the map, but what is the actual distance in miles to be driven/walked?

23. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    It is going to be two miles long from start to finish with a aprty at armoroy park to follow until 9 (but we are not obligated to stay for that)

I had an idea for the float, we take th backdrops an dput them on it, death star on one side, and stars onthe other, set up blinking light on the starts (or through the back) so we have more lgith effects, and then back light the death star backdrops. We would have to set them up in a triangle type way fromt he back and front of the flatbed so the points face each other so the crowd on either side can see them. Then maybe put out banner strung in between them, and several posters of our work (which i can print up) fixed to the sides of the flatbed.

24. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Very good idea, use what you have and it's kept simple and effective.

25. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Who thinks they can particpate as of now ( I know we have yet to vote on it) I would like to start working on some posters, but I dont want to unless I know they will get used.