main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Dr. Nerdcalm (or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Speculation)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Hellhammer, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I've been looking at the posts here and the increasingly louder overreaction at every single thought that someone presents.

And honestly, I don't get it.

There is way too much negativity around here for something that is in fact a very positive thing. A great many people have actually been presenting interesting, original, thoughtful and well argumented theories and ideas but that seems to be fading away under the weight of sheer panic because of nothing.

[​IMG]

We're getting new movies: This is something I thought that, somewhat morbidly, we'll never see during Lucas' lifetime. That it would have to come to the Maker himself actually passing away before we get some new Star Wars stuff. Luckily enough (both for him and us), it turned out it wasn't true. We're getting new movies. New movies all over the place. Something for everyone to enjoy. I find that very thought cheerful and something to look forward to. Not every one has to be a masterpiece, but I relish the thought of watching brand new Star Wars content every year. Even if I don't like every single one, we'll still have the OT, PT and the Saga as a whole. New movies won't diminish their value.

We know nothing: That's the fun part. Not the frustrating part. Yes, I'd love to get some news. No, I won't "go mad" if there aren't any. Speculation is fun. People want everything instantly but, simply put, it's not so fun to get everything at once. Many people who have been around during PT speculation fondly remember those days now. Yes, there were crazy ideas, yes there were insane theories that didn't turn out to be true - but it was fun. That's the whole point of all this, in the end. Entertainment. Creating fond memories. Not knowing everything instantly is not a bad thing. Enjoy it while it lasts, we'll have more than enough time to dissect every aspect of the movie once it's out.

The movie isn't out yet: A large portion of negativity seems to stem from what people have already constructed in their heads as the "worst case scenario." We're all doomed if this or that person is cast or if this or that happens or if Palpatine comes back or whathaveyou. But...you know what? We haven't seen the movie yet. Something that sounds like a great idea on paper may be horrible in execution - but also what sounds horrible when written down on a fan board may actually be a great thing when it's executed properly. As I said, there are many interesting and friendly discussions around all sorts of theories here, but don't already decide to hate the movie before it even started filming.

It is a good time to be a SW fan: Again, this is something none of us could've dreamed of just a year ago. And it's happening. Some may not like the idea of so many movies, but...give them a chance before you decide. Watch them, then make up your mind. Keep an open mind. Why focus on the negative? Why always think of a worst case scenario? Why always talk about what would make you mad or angry or what would ruin the franchise for you? There are so many things to be positive about, yet as time goes by more and more discussions descend into negative prejudice instead of enjoying what's ahead of us. Positive overhype is dangerous, yes, you can build up expectations that can never be met - but to be honest, that makes more sense to me than already deciding to hate a product even before it's production has started.

We have a thread solely dedicated to negativity, what will get you mad enough to walk out of a movie - so why not have a thread dedicated to positivity and optimism?
    What are you actually looking forward to in these movies? What makes you happy about these movies? At the very least, what doesn't upset you as it seems to upset so many people?

I, for one, am not upset by anything we have heard so far.
    I am not upset by the fact we haven't really heard all that much.
    I am happy we're getting more of the franchise that brought us all here and I think we should be focusing a bit more on the positive side instead of going all hysterical before there is anything to go hysterical about.

So what about you?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We should consider making this thread a sticky.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I wholeheartedly agree with your entire post. I don't know why fandom tends to always go to the negative, but it's not just Star Wars fans that do it. I feel like if people would stop focusing on what they see as negative and focus on why they are here in the first place, everyone would be much happier. :)

I too, am not upset by anything we've heard or not heard. I actually find the lack of news funny, not that I wouldn't welcome some news because I totally would, but I'm okay where we are too. Maybe it's because I'm easy to amuse and am usually not really that disapointed with things that I'm excited about because I try to go with no expectations as to what I'm going to see.

I'm happy that we are getting this chance that none of us thought we would ever have. I'm excited to be excited about everything... the first teasers, the first trailers, etc.

4. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Bravo.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Maybe you should wrote this into some Stoneboards. ;)

6. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I concur for the most part. I take exception to the casting bit though, since we ultimately pay for the movie to be made I don't want it tarnished by someone I don't like. Case in point -- BATMAN! My all-time favorite superhero will be ruined forever for me and millions of fans who loathe Affleck as an "actor." Justin Timberlake as The Riddler? Why not Casey Affleck as Robin and then you have a 5 star disaster.

IF this type of scenario were to happen to my beloved my all-time favorite movie franchise and mythology I will flip. Sorry, but I will. So we fans do have a legitimate right to be cautious about all the casting news and rumors. That said -- and I said it about a week ago -- I've pared down my list of people I won't tolerate. That is to say I would give Gosliing and, gulp [face_sick] Effron a fair chance if that were to happen. DiCaprio I've learned to like a lot better than his early days thanks to Inception. AND the two latest actors that auditioned, especially the girl are what IMO we're looking for -- fresh faces that are capable and bring no preconceived notions or biases.

Overall though, as the op said I'm having fun because this is the fun part. Right now. Fun. What we're doing.

7. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    You don't pay for the movie to be made. The studio does, probably to somewhere around the tune of $200 million so they will cast based on who they feel will fulfil the roles the best in creative terms but also ensure audiences turn up (though as this is Star Wars it's possible the balance will be more in the creative end of things). If you/ we don't like the look of who they cast or the trailers or the reviews we don't have to see it and that's when they won't get our money. But we'll all be there opening night anyway.

Rabs, LunarMoth, Immortiss and 3 others like this.
  8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Bravo, sir!

Very well said and I wholeheartedly agree! =D=

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  9. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Skimmed it. I don't want to feel guilty about being negative. It warms my black, black heart.

10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I think the fact that we have a 27 page thread complaining about the format the movies are going to filmed in just goes to show how desperately this thread is needed.

11. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    There'll be melt-down if we actually get something to worry about.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Huzzah for Star Wars!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Considering how utterly useless Jedi we'd all evidently make we don't really deserve Star Wars right?
    We'd all run right off the bat teary-eyed and whining down to Palpy going "unlimited power! give it to me now!"

14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    You're not looking at it right. Disney expects to make more than 200 million. Therefore we DO pay for the movies to be made, just retro-actively. In the case of Batman, the fan outrage may force WB to make a change because it will be highly doubtful that they will make back the money they will need to spend to make the movie in the first place. Same with SW. IF Disney decides to go rogue and cast some controversial they end up holding the bag for the bill of the movie, like you said about 200 million. Ask them how they feel about Lone Ranger: Cost 215 and made 88. Ultimately, the fans do have some power, as you said we can choose not to go if we don't like what we're hearing about casting, story or whatever.

However, I don't think we're going to have a problem. Thus far every move has been aces:

- Kathleen Kennedy
    - Michael Arndt
    - JJ Abrams & the Bad Robot gang
    - John Williams
    - Presumably the Big 3
    - Going back to London

It's all been very promising.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  15. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    dont panic!.... written in large friendly letters on the cover.... :)

16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I agree. While for me its been hard to NOT panic due to the lack of news, I keep telling myself that I've seen the same exact thing with Star Trek reboot and all ended well there.

17. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Echo, sorry dude, you're over-estimating fan sway. If everyone voted with their wallets you'd have a point. Not saying I don't get the upset some casting causes, but bearing in mind the similar uproar that has preceded people like Michael Keaton in the first Batman and Daniel Craig as Bond, only for both actors to excel and for the films to storm the box office, I'm not sure the suits give too much thought to fan rage. If the creatives believe in an actor and the financials back them up, the studio won't ever have a problem. The majority of the audience don't care and will turn up anyway and the fanboys will kick up a stink then buy their tickets. The fans have no power.

I agree with you that LFL/ Disney have made all the right moves so far. And this particular piece of casting should be fairly well received.

18. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Trek fans went through the same things, on Trekcore, and Trekbbs, JJ Abrams like to keep a tight lid on things.

FinleySlade likes this.
  19. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    All is well , nothing to report for now. I am sure that when the time is right we will see tons of toys flooded into the stores.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    For me there is very little to complain or be negative about. Sure there might be a casting decision or something that I'll disagree with but at the end of the day we're getting new Star Wars movies and ten months ago I wouldn't have believed that in my wildest dreams. This is a franchise I've loved since I was young so when I walked out of the theater eight years ago after seeing ROTS I was admittedly a little saddened that I would never have the opportunity to have the experience of a new SW movie ever again. Now I probably won't have to worry about that in my lifetime and I'm very thankful to Lucas, Disney and everyone involved for bringing SW back where it belongs. So yeah I'm very enthusiastic for these new films to say the least. :D

JediWheelz, JainaSoloYJK and Echo-07 like this.
  21. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    You make a pretty good argument. However, I still don't agree. At least completely. I don't believe that fans don't have a say. If your premise is correct then why isn't Justin Bieber cast in everything? His fa base alone would pay for any movie he'd appear in. If the Producers don't care what the fans think or how they'll react then why aren't more "fad-ctors" cast in things? And specifically for Keaton/Batman and Craig/Bond I'll just take your word for the outrage, but honestly I don't think you have much of a case. Both of those properties have been reincarnated over and over again over the years. I don't think their respective fanbases are really that big or vocal or intense at least compared to Star Wars.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Just call me Mr. Proton.

23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Bieber isn't cast because he can't act and no director, producer or studio exec would want him in their movie (unless it was a Justin Bieber movie).

Producers do care, but about the final product rather than the fans themselves necessarily - or actually the most vocal of the fans. Because they care about getting the film as good as it can be they'll have their own views on who will be right for the role (of course also, sometimes the sales and marketing teams will have a list of actors that they can raise the finance off, which is why you get 'hot' actors who seem to be in everything, and actors that every fan always wants but who won't get the movie financed because box office).

With franchises like Batman or Star Wars, the audience is pretty much built-in so the decision makers will have a freer-hand to pick who they believe is right for the part rather than who will necessarily raise the money. Marvel are very good at this and the deals they offer to the next big things that they cast are tight, because they know their movies will make said Next Big Thing, Big Things.

So with Affleck the conclusion has to be that the team involved looked at the best actors that were in the right age range and look, looked at who was available (scheduling plays a massive part in the whole thing) and decided (not unreasonably, I don't think - I'd say Ben Affleck has proved himself a pretty good actor with the Town and Argo) that Ben Affleck will do a good job as Batman.

And this is where I come back to the Daniel Craig/ Michael Keaton examples - in both cases the decision makers completely ignored the fan outcry (and we can throw Ledger as Joker into this mix too) and were completely vindicated when not only did everyone turn out in droves to see the films, the supposedly disastrous cast members absolutely nailed their roles.

Darth Claire likes this.
  24. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    This and only this is what matters. I'm wondering if GL isn't trying to teach us all a lesson here - he's made the ultimate Jedi Sacrifice and 'let go' of what he held so close for so long, and passed it on to others who could carry his legacy into the future. Yeah, some of us thought he'd lost it and gone to the Darkside for a few years there...he's redeemed himself and his Legacy. I'm all for it, whatever it may be. =D=

25. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Hell, if this were my site, I'd make it part of the Terms Of Use Agreement. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.