JCC Dr. Sleep

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Let me be the first to comment on Stephen King's long-awaited, much-anticipated sequel to "The Shining."

Here goes:

I haven't read it.
  2. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    Is it supposed to be any good?
  3. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
  4. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I reserved it at the library about a month and a half ago... I am 35 of 115 holds.

I'm very much looking forward to this and I expect it to be good. But then I love Stephen King. That and I very much enjoyed the sequel to The Talisman done with Peter Straub.
  5. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    They interviewed King on NPR this morning about it.
  6. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Never read the original book.
  7. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Danny boy the psychic detective...sounds goofy enough to be awesome.
  8. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The original book was...awful. Kubrick did the man a favor turning it into a classic of modern horror, and yet to this day King still complains about the adaptation.
    The Shining mini series was an adaptation done precisely to King's exact specifications. And it sucked, exactly how you'd expect.

King has his strengths as a writer, but horror novels isn't one of them.
  9. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I so disagree with you. The Shining is an awesome book and I walked out on the Kubrick movie. I think that started my dislike of Jack Nicholson too, since he tends to play that exact character in every movie. The mini series was just what I had wanted to see.

But thanks anyway for thinking you speak for everyone.
    Last edited by Healer_Leona, Sep 24, 2013
    DarthBreezy likes this.
  10. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Shawshank Redemption, and to a Lesser extent Green Mile - that's good stuff. Stand by Me - quite lovely. But Cujo? Carrie? The Stand? it seemed kind of bad then, but now it also seems horribly dated.
  11. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
  12. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    I agree with you all around... Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile are both great. I can't stand his horror stories. I've tried to read The Stand so many times. I almost feel I have to finish it because not doing so would be letting it conquer me... can't bring myself to do it, though. I've never been a big Stephen King fan. So yeah... for now, the awful book "wins." So I'm not waiting in any line to get this new thing.
  13. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    If you dislike his horror stories so much, wtf make this thread?
  14. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    We're not allowed to make threads about things we don't like now?
  15. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Interesting interpretation of the question...

but that's a real question for jababbbababab. I'm curious why post about a book it sounds like he has no intention of reading since when he plainly stated the original was awful.
  16. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
  17. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    I don't know... possibly to talk about how he doesn't like Stephen King's horror stories... and then people can either agree or disagree with him, and a resulting conversation can take place.
    Last edited by harpua, Sep 24, 2013
  18. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Perhaps had he used "I" comments like you and I did I would have seen how that was the intention. Not just telling us they are awful, sucked, bad when clearly not everyone thinks that.
  19. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    Purchased and downloaded to my Nook. Can't start reading until Thursday because of work schedule...
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  20. Zapdos Force Ghost

star 5
    i have never read anything by him, but this thread makes me a little curious.
    i would be interesting in hearing what exactly makes his books so great/awful, if anyone would bother to share
    Last edited by Zapdos, Sep 24, 2013
  21. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I really should get one of those. I stopped buying books when I moved to a smaller place.

Zapdos, I love his imagination. But then I've always loved horror/fantasy books. You'd have to try one to know whether he's an author you'd enjoy.

it's funny, but I'd read Carrie, Salem's Lot and The Shining before I even realized it was the same author.
    Last edited by Healer_Leona, Sep 24, 2013
  22. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    You all missed the rules. You can only talk about stuff you like. If you talk about stuff you don't like, the white ponies in the sky won't fart rainbows anymore.

On topic...I used to be a much bigger Stephen King fan than I am now. I agree that his non-horror books are superior, but it's funny that he's best known for his horror books.

My favorite book of his? On Writing. It's not even fiction.

I have his JFK assassination novel on my Kindle list but haven't gotten there yet.

As far as The Shining...the book was OK, the Kubrick movie scared the hell out of me, but I have no real interest in a sequel.
  23. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Yeah, I had to read "On Writing" for an English class a while back. I liked that one... still have it.
    Jabbadabbado likes this.
  24. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    i just can't sleep for more than two or three hours a night. i go through my days in a halfie stupor, all heavy-lidded and mini-bats flying back and forth in front of my eyes.

help me, dr. sleep.
    Zapdos likes this.
  25. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    I have never read a single King book.

Anything and everything Kubrick did is awesome every time and always.

The end.
    Mortimer Snerd likes this.