JCC Dr. Sleep

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah, it's a decent book. I got a lot out of it.

I have a huge respect for King. He's had a bigger impact on Hollywood than any writer living apart from Rowlings. He just can't write horror.
  2. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    Omigod it's so good I can't stop reading.
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  3. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It really is a throwback to his early work. The narrative pace makes it very entertaining, and some of the plot elements are very reminiscent of Salem's Lot and The Stand. It's not really a horror story so much. Or at least there didn't seem much in it aimed at a good scare. There are some very disturbing scenes and plenty of dramatic tension.

There are also things I didn't like so much as always with his books. He suggests the True Knot's immense wealth and age is important, but doesn't really make it critical to the plot. I know there are plenty of other writers anxious to dwell endlessly on the vampire's terrible burden of immortality, and maybe I don't blame King for being bored by that. However, King completely robs his villains of any wisdom they might have acquired from those extra centuries of being alive. He catches his bad guys up in an extended comedy of errors that really undercuts the tension and makes me wonder how they really could have survived so long. Which brings up another central plot element that defies the plot's own internal logic. The bad guys have a community that is perhaps several thousand years old, and yet they have never encountered this particular health problem before? Just doesn't make any sense.

Still, I liked it. Made me nostalgic for the days when I loved to read books like Salem's Lot.
  4. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    I for one loved the novel The Shining more than Kubrick's version. I just liked that Jack Torrence was a character you feel truly sorry for and Wendy is a strong character whereas in the movie, Jack is a generic horror movie villain and Wendy is a shrieking idiot. Don't like what they did with Halloren either.
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  5. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    If the Kubrick movie has any weaknesses, one of them is definitely that Nicholson projects crazy pretty much from the start. It would have been nice to see Nicholson look like a man who genuinely loved his wife and son and wanted a fresh start to give them a better future, so that he would have some kind of visible downward trajectory into homicidal madness. But I'm not sure Nicholson can actually do that as an actor, project warmth. That's why he was so perfect for "As Good as It Gets," because he knows how to play a man who finds the very idea of projecting warmth distasteful and alien.
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Sep 27, 2013
  6. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Yeah Nicholson's too much of a ham to convey that emotion. I still think he's a great actor, but he's not necessarily somebody who can portray a truly tragic and sympathetic every man.

Well except for Five Easy Pieces.
  7. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Finally got the book from the library yesterday afternoon and I'm nearly halfway thru. Very good read!
  8. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    That was a very good read! Love when parts caught me off guard. There may have been tears at the ending.
  9. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    It's not depressing at the end is it?
  10. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Not going to say a word. Just read it, if you're inclined.

Actually read it even if you're not! :p
    Last edited by Healer_Leona, Oct 20, 2013
  11. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    Well I grew up on Stephen King and so very much loved books like the Tommyknockers, Pet Sematary, The Stand, Christine, Salem's Lot, Cujo, Misery, The Shining and the Dead Zone. Alot of his recent stuff is forgettable crap (like Under the Dome) but I'm looking forward to reading Dr Sleep.
  12. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    When's muh dang Gunslinger's series coming to tv? Between that and waiting for American Gods, tv can just kill itself. At least I have American Horror Story....
  13. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Under the Dome is actually really good imo. A more severely ****ed up version of The Stand.
  14. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I prefer King books heavy on the supernatural or other natural. Read the Dome and while well written, I just got tired of the people being such ******s to each other, especially those in charge. I have no problem with monsters terrorizing and killing, but I'm very disturbed by people doing it of their own accord. Yeah I know it happens, but doesn't mean that's what I want to entertain me.
    mrsvos likes this.
  15. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    I SO want to read 'Dr Sleep' - Love the Shining (book and Mini-series Mrs Room 217 -or what ever the number was - scared the snot of out me.) 'Dome' was pretty 'meh' to me (and WTF with the minseries?) 11/23/63 is fantastic, and I hope the proposed movie version ends up more along the quality of 'Green Mile', 'Stand by Me', and 'Shawshank' as apposed to the train wreck that was 'Christine' (the book was tragic - the movie was crap).

Over all, I've noticed that the 'short' stories tend to translate to film better, or as mini-series (with the noted exceptions above) 'The Night Flyer', 'Granma' *shudder* and yes, I actually *liked* the change to the ending of 'The Mist' - and I loved the original story too... Now if they'll ever get around to doing an animated version of "Eyes of the Dragon" I will be a happy camper.