main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Dr. Who/Torchwood] The 21st Century changes it all, but the TARDIS can bring us back to fix it!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by mavjade , Jul 27, 2008.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a heads up for the Torchwood fans...

A 60 second preview of Series Three: Children of Earth will be posted simultaneously in the US and the UK on Thursday Feb. 5th at 9pm GMT (4pm EST)! :D :D :D

In the US you can see it at bbcamerica.com (I don't know if it looks for a US IP address or not, so you may be able to see it here without being in the US)

In the UK you can see it at bbc.co.uk/torchwood (I know you have to have a UK IP address to see it here. :( )

So who wants to bet both of those sites crash on Thursday. 8-}

EDIT: Having now watched the clip I'm really excited!! :D May have to write some fanfic based on the clips!

You can also find the preview on youtube. There are things in it that are not really TOS happy so I won't link it here, but if you know Torchwood and know what it's like and can't find the clip PM me and I'll send you the link. ;)

2. NyghtFyre

NyghtFyre Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    Doctor Who:
    Who was your first Doctor? (As in, which Doctor was the first one you watched?) Nine (Christopher Eccleston)
    Who is your favorite Doctor? Ten (David Tennant)
    Who is your least favorite Doctor? Jon Pertwee (he just scares me!)
    Who is your favorite villain? The Daleks (b/c they crack me the heck up...pepper pots!) The Simm!Master is a close 2nd.
    Do you write Doctor Who? Yep!
    What are your favorite type of Doctor Who stories to read? Jack/Doctor (as they are my OTP!)

Torchwood:
    Who is your favorite TW character? Captain Jack Harkness
    Who is your least favorite? Gwen Cooper-Williams
    Who has been your favorite villain? Adam
    Do you write Torchwood? Lords yes...
    What are your favorite types of Torchwood stories to read? Anything with Jack, Jack/Ianto (H/C, Angst), and I love AU takes on things.

Both:
    Which did you watch first, Doctor Who or Torchwood? Doctor Who
    Which do you prefer to watch? I love them both!
    For which show do you more typically get the most plot bunnies? Torchwood
    Which do you typically read? Both, TW probably more so than DW if I really had to break it down.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm a Whodict and it's all Kateydidnt's fault.

Doctor Who:
    Who was your first Doctor? (As in, which Doctor was the first one you watched?) 10. Kateydidnt made me watch Journey's End one night and I utterly HATED it. All these dumb "Children of Time" and Barty Crouch, Jr. yelling at a guy who looked like a vivisected paraplegic Palpatine... Not to mention Donna who just bugged the crap out of me and these melodramatic montages. I mean, she actually cried. Who does that?! Luckily, after I agreed to watch 3 more episodes over Thanksgiving, I fell in love and then she made me watch Journey's End again.
    Who is your favorite Doctor? 10.
    Who is your least favorite Doctor? 4.
    Who is your favorite villain? Master. Just kinda psycho.
    Do you write Doctor Who? Yes. I'm jsut starting.
    What are your favorite type of Doctor Who stories to read? Ones that have the same level of foreshadowing/self-explanation that the show does.

Torchwood:
    Who is your favorite TW character? Jack.
    Who is your least favorite? Don't know yet.
    Who has been your favorite villain? Haven't seen more than one episode, so really don't know.
    Do you write Torchwood? No.
    What are your favorite types of Torchwood stories to read? See above.

Both:
    Which did you watch first, Doctor Who or Torchwood? Doctor Who.
    Which do you prefer to watch? Doctor Who.
    For which show do you more typically get the most plot bunnies? Who.
    Which do you typically read? Who.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002

I have a theory that you have to watch at least 3 episodes of Dr. Who to really get it. That's how it worked for me. The first episode has you thinking that what you're watching is the stupidest thing you've ever seen, the 2nd starts to hook you in, so that you come back to see the third, and by the end of that third, you realize that what you first thought was stupid is actually brilliant.

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, I think that the main problem was that she made me watch the last of the current episodes, so had to stop every minute to explain something else and I SO did not think it was worth all that trouble, plus it made me miss my bus and for crying out loud, 10 was such a DRAMA QUEEN!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree with the three episodes theory.

I had watched one episode of it when it started again and was kinda eh... about it. Then I watched Torchwood not knowing it was a Who spinoff (or spin with as I like to call it), I fell in love with it and then decided to watch Who again. It took me an episode or two to get into it but I became a fan. Though TW is still more my thing.

That was kinda mean to make you jump into the end there Ish, I can understand why you wouldn't like it/understand it.

7. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Doctor Who:
    Who was your first Doctor? : Ten, I believe. I started watching midway through season four- the first episode I watched all the way through was the Agatha Christie one.

Who is your favorite Doctor?: Ten, although I do have a soft spot for Tom Baker.

Who is your least favorite Doctor?: I don?t have one; I?m not too familiar with the earlier ones, and I have no qualms with Ten or Nine.

Who is your favorite companion?: Donna. I loved the chemistry between her and the Doctor; it was based on just friendship for the two of them. While Rose definitely comes in second place, I thought the love story got a bit old with Martha.

Who is your favorite villain?: The Daleks.

Do you write Doctor Who?: On occasion.

What are your favorite types of Doctor Who stories to read?: Hmm? I don?t read them too often, but I like anything Donna-centric.

Torchwood:
    Who is your favorite TW character?: Owen! He can just be so darn angsty. Ianto and Tosh tie for second place.

Who is your least favorite?: Gwen.

Who has been your favorite villain?: For some bizarre reason, the Weevils. Suzy is probably my runner-up, though.

Do you write Torchwood?: Not at present moment.

What are your favorite types of Torchwood stories to read?: Owen angst, torture and h/c. I?m probably a horrible person for that.

Both:
    Which did you watch first, Doctor Who or Torchwood?: I started with Doctor Who about a year ago, and I?m currently going through season two of Torchwood. I already know what happens in it, though.

Which do you prefer to watch?: Probably Doctor Who, because of David Tennant.

For which show do you more typically get the most plot bunnies?: Again, I?d have to say Doctor Who, although most of them revolve around crossovers.

Which do you typically read?: Torchwood, right now, to satisfy my craving for Owen torture.

8. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Doctor Who:

Who was your first Doctor? (As in, which Doctor was the first one you watched?)
    Well I started watching Doctor Who for a very pathetic reason. I had become a fan of the show Merlin and since the star Colin Morgan guest starred in Midnight I watched that episode. Initially it was a bad one to get introduced to the show with, as I thought it was too strange. But then one day there was a marathon and I had it on and slowly began to get interested in the show. So the 10th Doctor was my first, the 9th being my second since I had to start the new series from the beginning.

Who is your favorite Doctor?
    Call me biased, but I just loved the manic energy that David Tennant brings to the role and so he is definitely my favorite, I will definitely miss him when he is gone.

Who is your least favorite Doctor?
    I can't really answer this because while I'm starting to watch the original series, I've yet to watch enough of the first 8 Doctors to make a fair judgment.

Who is your favorite villain?
    Definitely the Master.

Who is your favorite companion?
    Donna is my absolute favorite with Rose as a close second. I like Martha, but she annoys me at times. And I should definitely list Sarah Jane among the favorites since I?ve started watching SJA and I think she?s great.

Do you write Doctor Who?
    Nothing that has been posted, but I've started to plot out some new stories so far.

What are your favorite type of Doctor Who stories to read?
    Currently I?m reading any and everything I can find with the Doctor and Donna, though I?ll read almost anything with Ten in it.

Torchwood:
    Who is your favorite TW character?
    I think it was probably Owen, but I also really like Jack.

Who is your least favorite?
    I honestly can?t decide.

Who has been your favorite villain?
    Gray, but I still haven?t seen the 3rd series yet.

Do you write Torchwood?
    Not currently.

What are your favorite types of Torchwood stories to read?
    I haven?t read much TW fanfic.

Both:
    Which did you watch first, Doctor Who or Torchwood?
    Doctor Who

Which do you prefer to watch?
    Doctor Who

For which show do you more typically get the most plot bunnies?
    Doctor Who

Which do you typically read?
    Doctor Who

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So is anybody going to be writing post EoT/S5 fanfic?

10. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    I had the one drabble set near the end of EoT, but nothing yet for Smith's 11. All but a handful of my March drabbles were Doctor Who, but for the first ten Doctors.

11. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I just found this thread and I am as giddy as a Dalek on a killing spree. [face_love]

Ten. [face_love]

A dear friend of mine showed me "Doomsday" for my very first episode. I was hooked by the darkness of the Doctor, and the cornball humor the show was written with (c'mon ? the man's the last one left, destroyer of his world; it's an angst-fest with banter to fluff it up! [face_dancing]), and, of course, the whole Doctor and Rose business. I was immediately enraptured by them, and then in inconsolable tears by the end of the finale.

My friend sat on the other end of the couch and tossed the box of tissue at me when I called her a dozen different names for so abusing my heartstrings so beautifully. [face_laugh]

Who is your favorite Doctor?

Ten - but that's just because he's my first. [face_mischief] He's quick and lively and sarcastic and a mile-a-minute like he's on espresso with those flashes of dark rages . . . Yep. I'm in love. [face_love]

But then, of course . . . there's Nine!! Grumpy darkness, and surly sarcasm and those ears. And then there's the look on his face when he staring at Rose in "A Parting of the Ways" [face_love] [face_dancing] . . . And the leather. I can wax fangirl poetic about the leather for days. :p

Who is your least favorite Doctor?

Would it be awful if I said the First one? :p Miserable old grandpa annoys the mess out of me. [face_worried]

Who is your favorite villain?

The Master. Hands down.[face_devil] That man is fantastic ? I couldn't stop tapping my finger in beats of four for days after seeing Simm's version of the Master. :p I love stories that deal with Koschei and the Doctor growing up together (Throw in Rani and Magnus and I'll eat out of your hand). [face_love] And I adore anything Master/Lucy. :) And even Master/Ailla ? if you want to go back. :p

And I loved Rassilon in TEOT as well ? but that may just be the Timothy Dalton fan in me. [face_laugh]

Oh, and the Weeping Angels! Creepiest creeping villain in the history of creeping there. :p

Who is Your Favorite Companion

Oh, tough one . . .

I like Rose, she was my first. [face_love]

As her own character, Donna just took the cake. She was sarcasm and loyalty and ginger all strung together to make a complete brand of awesome. :p

Martha, I was prepared to like, I really was, but then she was written so horribly ? a lovestruck schoologirl with no personality. Bleh. They did let her grow up a bit in the series, but she'll always leave a sour taste in my mouth. :(

Amy is beautiful ? one of the most . . . forward companions. [face_whistling] But I find I don't feel for her nearly as much as earlier companions. Although, I do adore Rory, and thus, by extension, Amy. :p

For Old Who ? Ace and Romana - all versions of her - are both up there in my opinion. [face_love]

Oh, and Jack! (If you can count him.)

Do you write Doctor Who?

Yep ? everything from romance with Rose (and Nine or Ten or even TenII), to humor with Ten and Donna, and a rather peculiar crossover where the Doctor meets McCoy from Star Trek. Oh, and Rory from S5 has a hold on my muse right now ? I have a viggie covering him as the Centurion for those two thousand years that is officially at 10,000 words and growing. [face_laugh] :eek:

Admittedly, most of it is at FF.N. :)

What are your favorite type of Doctor Who stories to read?

Anything well written. [face_dancing]

So, any ideas to get this place going?

A challenge or a discussion topic . . .

The series just ended recently on a bang ;). Any questions/comments/rude remarks. ;)

[face_batting]

~MJ @};-

12. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Doctor Who:
    Ten.

Who is your favorite Doctor? Currently Eleven, but with Four running a very close second.

Who is your least favorite Doctor? Still haven't watched Five through Seven properly, so out of what I've seen I'll say One. But I love them all! :D

Who is your favorite villain? The Master, hands down.

Who is your favourite companion? Amy, Donna, Romana (both of her), Jamie, Liz Shaw (smart female scientists FTW!), Barbara (love her hair!) and Rory. I love Rory. Rory's cool. [face_love]

Do you write Doctor Who? No, but I have a HP/DW crossover in planning stage with Idrelle... :p

What are your favorite type of Doctor Who stories to read? I must admit I don't read much DW fanfic, as it's mostly

Torchwood:
    Who is your favorite TW character?
    Jack, obviously.

Who is your least favorite? Owen. Incredibly annoying. Also, he looks like a young Willem Dafoe, which is creepy. :p

Who has been your favorite villain? The 456. They were frightening as hell, and the best thing is that they even weren't after Universe domination or the Earth was part of their big plans or something - they just wanted to get high. How cool (and sickening) is that?

Do you write Torchwood? Nope.

What are your favorite types of Torchwood stories to read? I don't read Torchwood fics.

Both:
    Which did you watch first, Doctor Who or Torchwood?
    DW

Which do you prefer to watch? DW

For which show do you more typically get the most plot bunnies? So far, DW and TW bunnies have been avoiding me. :p Apart from the aforementioned DW/HP crossover.

Which do you typically read? DW, but only occasionally.

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Way to make me feel even more guilty, Mar. :p I think the planning stage is crossing eight months now or something. :p 8-}

I haven't had much plot bunnies for Doctor Who lately, nor for Torchwood. I don't think I've ever really had plot bunnies for Torchwood, though. :p

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Ahh, but good plot bunnies are like good wine - they get better with age! ;)

15. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Okay, how about this? A companion (during or after his or her tenure in the TARDIS) meets an earlier incarnation of the Doctor than the one(s) he or she knew. The one condition is that the companion can never learn that he's the Doctor.

16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004

Oh, temporal conundrums are fun loops to tie plot bunnies into. [face_devil]

That sounds like a blast!! [face_dancing]

~MJ @};-

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Unlocked and bumped per request

But while I'm here... :)

Any Torchwood Fans excited for the new series? It's got some new huge names attached to it!

I was a little skeptical because I was such a huge Ianto fan but seeing who is going to play the new characters and hearing the plot line, I'm excited. I'm hoping it will renew my interest in TW fic after CoT kinda killed it!

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Not having ever seen Dr. Who or Torchwood, quick question: Torchwood is a spin-off from Dr. Who, it ended, and this is a sequel series?

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oops, I misinterpreted your question at first.

The new Torchwood series is a spin-off/continuation of the first one.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I believe it's a continuation - it has both Captain Jack, and Gwen and Rhys Williams, and RTD and other producers confirmed that it's a direct continuation of the UK show.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, gotcha. Was Ianto killed?

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, when the 456 gassed the building and died in Jack's arms.

*sniff* :(

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :( And I take it he wasn't the one who could regenerate? (Or was that just a fanfic I read . . .)

24. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Don't trust fanfic, especially when it comes to pairings. They will lie.

Cap'n Jack is functionally immortal; you just can't keep him down. Otherwise, everyone on Torchwood can die as normal, so long as you keep them away from certain alien artifacts.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ah, okay, it was Jack who's immortal. Oops. And aww, sad :(