main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Dr. Who/Torchwood] The 21st Century changes it all, but the TARDIS can bring us back to fix it!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by mavjade , Jul 27, 2008.

1. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    They killed off all of the characters that I cared about. :p RTD should have stopped with CoE. I'll probably watch the new series, but I'm not really looking forward to it.

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I would love to watch the new Torchwood series, but it's on a a channel I do not get.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    TW is a spin off series of Doctor Who. Captain Jack was in Who and Russel T. Davies decided to make Jack his own show, Torchwood. Torchwood as a concept was also in Doctor Who. The new series that is going to be on Starz here in the US is a continuation of the Torchwood story line, as in it's kinda like Season 4, but RTD has said it will be slightly different than previous series (seasons) because it will not only take place in Wales but also the US. Things that happened in Torchwood previously will still have happened.

Yes, Ianto, a much beloved character (and the most interesting character in my opinion) was killed in Children of Earth.

Mac: I wasn't either until I started reading who was cast... Mekhi Phiffer, Bill Pullman, Lauren Ambrose. All three of which I love!

mrjop2: I'm sure it will be on Netflix if you have/can get that. Starz has a deal with them and they seem to show all of their new stuff. :)

4. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    I don't get Starz, but then I didn't get BBC America, either.

And yeah, this is basically Season 4 of Torchwood. Like the third one, "Children of Earth," it's a continuing storyline. [Changing the setting doesn't make it a different show; even Laverne & Shirley's done that.]

5. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I don't do netflix, but I do have Itunes, and they have all the Doctor Who and Torchwood stuff, and they have many other series that Starz produces, so maybe I can rent them from Itunes.

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, gotcha. Hmm, sounds interesting!

7. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I can't believe my Luck. Having just moved and signing up with Dish Network, it appears Dish Network customers get a free year of Starz. That means I will be able to see the upcoming season of Torchwood. Anyone knows when it starts?

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yay mrjop2!!

That's how we got Starz too and they do have pretty good shows so I might have to keep it! Last I heard it was set to premiere this summer, they started filming back in January.

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I've only recently started writing Who fic here. My first and favorite Doctor is the Fourth. Tom Baker... :D My favorite companions are Barbara and Ian, Susan Foreman, Sarah Jane Smith, Leela, Romana, Ace, Rose, Donna, Wilf, Amy and Rory.

Special mention for the Brigadier, companion to the Doctor, not just any one incarnation.

Never seen Torchwood and probably never will, but I do love the Sarah Jane Adventures. :D

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I know a new season is about to begin, but I've only begun series 2 of the rebooted Doctor Who. I was wary of Tennant at first, given Eccleston was my first Doctor, but it took no time for him to endear himself to me.

I recently watched New Earth and Tooth and Claw tonight. Begining to like Tennant. Tooth and Claw is my favorite episode of all so far. Good acting, writing, suspense, and I really enjoyed the look of it. From the Tardis arriving in the Scottish highlands to wonder use of the old manor house. I loved the werewolf effect and the cool telescope. And, last but not least...the birth of Torchwood. Fantastic!

I look forward to getting caught up on the 11th Doctor.

11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Series 5 is fantastic. :)

12. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    This new Doctor is taking a little longer for me to get used to than the last one did, but he is quite good. I can't wait for the next series!

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I'll admit, I thought Matt Smith looked too young to play the role. But he sold me in 'Eleventh Hour'.

Also, RIP Nicholas Courtney. :(

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Matt Smith had me at "Can I have an apple?" and by the time A Christmas Carol finished, he's my second favourite Doctor of all time, just behind Tom Baker.

Can't WAIT for Series 6! :D

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    For me it's Tom Baker, then Sylvester McCoy. But I only love the Seventh because of one word.

Ace!

Yeah, Ace is my favorite companion of all time and I like her than some of the Docs. :D It's sad, though. She'll never be on the new series... because ten minutes in she'd have beaten the bad guy up within ten minutes of the episode!

"Don't worry, Professor! I took care of it with me bat and nitro-nine!"

"Ace I-you beat up a black hole cluster!"

"Yeah, so?"

Oh... Ace and Amy. Now there would be a cool teamup! :D :cool:

16. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    If I wrote drabbles based on the opening two-parter, which I saw last week, should I wait until the episodes air before posting them?

17. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004

Please do. :D

And be sure to include all of the necessary spoiler codes/warnings when you do so. :)

That being said - I can't wait to read them. ;) [:D]

~MJ @};-

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I still haven't gotten to watch any of the 11th Doctor. :( I was behind when it started showing and now I'm way behind. I'll admit, I'm still not sold on him having only seen trailers and teasers but I know most everyone loves him so I'm sure I will too.

I saw a teaser for TW Miracle Day on Starz yesterday... It didn't show a darn thing but it made me excited! :D

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    How about a couple of questions from a newbie to stimluate the conversation?

Has The Doctor ever been in love, pre-Rose?

What made Rose so special?

Though The Doctor is is a different likeness after each regeneration, what are the core trait consisten throughout all eleven, or, more presently, Nine, Ten, and Eleven?

What is The Doctor's purpose?

What does he look for in a companion?

There you have it. Give it a go, if you have the notion...

20. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    R.I.P. Elisabeth Sladen aka Sarah Jane! You will be missed!

She made great companion for the Doctor and was great in her own series, The Sarah Jane Adventures!

21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000

Romana came pretty close. And maybe Grace, too.

RTD. Tried to, anyway.

Though The Doctor is is a different likeness after each regeneration, what are the core trait consisten throughout all eleven, or, more presently, Nine, Ten, and Eleven?

Love of adventures, dislike of guns, cleverness and slight superiority over everyone else...

Fun.

Love of adventures, sense of fun, friendship, ability to think outside the box.

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't know that I'm the best to answer these as I've not watched all of them, not even of the new series but I'll give my answers on what I've gathered.

I haven't seen any of the pre-Rose Who so I don't really know but I'm pretty sure he did. Hasn't he mentioned someone else before?

I think Rose embodied what the Doctor loves about the Human race; she loves pretty much unconditionally she has a big heart and is very loyal.

Though The Doctor is is a different likeness after each regeneration, what are the core trait consistent throughout all eleven, or, more presently, Nine, Ten, and Eleven?
    He's always a little strange but he's not human so that explains that, his propensity to be in the wrong (or right) place at the wrong time and finding trouble, making people fall in love with him :p and compassion.

I don't know that he really has a purpose since he is the last of the timelords but he does a great deal to protect Earth and humanity in general.

I don't think he looks for them, the just kinda find him. But it seems his companions all exhibit great loyalty, they've all been willing to risk their lives doing what he asked. They all love him (and he doesn't notice), they all have a sense of adventure and are heroic in nature even if they don't realize it.

23. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007

Well, his first onscreen companion was his granddaughter Susan. So (if you ignore all the novels' stuff about Looms and the Other and all that), it's probable that he did way back. But we have never been given much detail there.

Mar had this one. RTD.

Someone he can show off in front of? There have been times he's explicitly looked for something in a companion, like someone to keep him grounded, but usually not. In fact, he didn't choose a lot of his companions, at least not at first. He kidnapped Ian and Barbara to keep them from talking to the authorities, and they left as soon as they had a way to get back home. Liz and Jo were assigned to assist him by UNIT. Romana was assigned to him by the White Guardian. Turlough was assigned by the Black Guardian to kill him. And then there are all the ones who stowed away on the TARDIS (including, originally, Sarah Jane) or otherwise entered it by mistake. A couple of the ones he did invite along were teenage girls he would otherwise have been abandoning to live alone on hostile alien planets. And those are just from the television series.

EDIT: I got to see the opening two-parter again Tuesday. No stars bringing me doughnuts this time, though. :(

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm going to respond by invading Mar's comments. Because I can! :D

25. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004

I'd definitely argue Romana. [face_love] And Susan's grandmother. (Because the whole Loom and Other is a silly business that leaves a sour taste in ones mouth. :p)

Honestly - what was said, RTD. She was made to snare a new generation of viewers. The viewers who look for a romantic spin on every character set. (Which I have been guilty of in the past. ;))

But, that aside - I think she was special because she was a flawed character. The Doctor traveled with her when he was still reeling from the Time War. He was angry, he was quick and even harsh to some extent - I think she helped center him. She's one of the rare companions who traveled for him and not for time and space, and I really adored their relationship. [face_love]

Though The Doctor is is a different likeness after each regeneration, what are the core trait consistent throughout all eleven, or, more presently, Nine, Ten, and Eleven?

The mile a minute ranting. Definitely. :p

Superiority complex, hatred of guns, mad scientist genius and everything else that is brilliant and already mentioned. :p

He's the permanent wanderer - the traveler without a home or destination who will keep on exploring until there's nothing else to see. [face_love]

Good runners. :p

Like everyone else already said - loyal, adventurous, big hearts. [face_love]

~MJ @};-