main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dr.Who

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Darth_Daver, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty1

Kitty1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2009
    ok, I have to ask this... Has Any1 Here Seen The Old Dr.Who??

Sorry, I love it :p

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've seen the odd episode here and there but I can't really get into it. I've only really seen the new ones. It might have been different if I grew up with it but I grew up in the US so my main sci-fi series were Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and Lost in Space.

3. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    I had misgivings about them using the Angels again. Blink was so good, they should maybe have left them at that. When Amy was in the shuttle, I kept thinking how she wasn't really in danger 'cos if it displaced her in time the Doctor was there with Tardis to bring her straight back. In Blink the danger depended on the fact he was separated from the Tardis and might not get it back.
    Also, this episode having the degraded statue forms must now mean the Angels in blink hadn't been on Earth all that long. Not the impression I got at the time.
    And finally for possible nitpicking, when Bob was on his own you could see statues behind him that were still static despite him looking in the opposite direction.

Enjoyed the video-Angel going all Ringu, though.

The on-screen animated Graham Norton right over the finish was annoying.

4. Kitty1

Mar 19, 2009
    lol, oh, ok. My fav Dr.who is Tom Baker. He's the best, or at lest..that's what I think. :p

Graham Norton
    ahh, another one I like :D

Sorry, but I'm from the USA. So, yea.. ;)

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought that was a great episode. Very much looking forward to the 2nd part.

Kitty1, I love the original Doctor Who, but I guess it helps I grew up with it. I like Doctors 2,3,4, and 5 the best of the old series.

6. Kitty1

Mar 19, 2009
    Awesome :) I only grew up with it becuz of my mom & dad. :p funny isn't it ;)

lol, I feel like I'm bouncing around. I'm chatting on here, another site, and messaging a friend.. how I do it, I'll never know :p

7. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Disappointed with this weeks. Spent most of it wishing bad things on River Song...

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Angels are excellent creations, I think little could go wrong with bringing them back.

Very good episode, giving them new abilities like even attacking as an image added even more to their menace. Also the possession idea if you look into the eyes was cool.

River Song was good, nice to see a character not in awe of the Doctor so much and that doesn't need rescuing.

9. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I enjoyed the episode. I'm not a huge fan of River Song though. It may be a novelty to watch a henpecked Doctor, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I know nobody actually will... which is why it happens... but if you could compain top the BBC about the ad for Over The Rainbow butchering the climax to yesterday episode, that would be good.

Here's my complaint:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am certain that this compaint, and all others like it (of which I hope there are many) will be met with a response demonstrating that you are doing your audience a favour.... but that would be disingenuous nonsense.

The intrusion over the climax to yesterdays episode of 'Doctor Who' was unnacceptable. You know what I am referring to.

The BBC should be better than commercial television rubbish. Clearly, it isn't.

We were told about Graham Norton's show before 'Doctor Who', and we are no longer permitted to enjoy the closing credits as they are cut out within seconds to tell us AGAIN, so there is absolutely no just reason to *also* advertise 'Over The Rainbow' during 'Doctor Who'.

I'm quite sure all you care about is audience share, and not about the program itself; you know it's a great show so whatever you do people will still watch it.

I do hope that all the cast and crew of 'Doctor Who' are appalled that their hard work has been tainted in this way. If this is naive, then so be it, but that would only mean your attitude to the viewers and the show itself is respectively patronising and disrespectful.

I look forward to being told that your audience research shows this is what people want. Somehow, you will have arrived at that conclusion even though the nobody in their right mind would actually want it. But want is different to need. What's certain is that - given the heavy trailing you give 'Over The Rainbow' before and after 'Doctor Who' - nobody needs it.

The program as broadcast should always come first. You have betrayed that, and with a flagship show. For shame.

Stop playing to the lowest common denominator, and show 'Doctor Who' the respect it deserves.

Finally, one hears about complaints being upheld surrounding the slightest example of un-PC behaviour, or a slip of the tongue by a presenter, and corrections being made when offence might possibly have been caused (maybe possibly). In these situations you can't apologise quick enough. Everybody I know considers this trivial pandering. And yet, when the BBC conspires to mess with the end of 'Doctor Who' (something more than one or two people actually care about), we will be met with a corporate speak brick wall.

Yours disappointed,

Chris Berry.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Write in to Points of View, it may get read out on TV. But I doubt it will :p

I've complained before about voiceovers during closing credits (not so bad for this series of Who as I dislike the theme anyway) before and nothing has changed.

I watch Over the Rainbow but I don't see why it needs so much promotion. Perhaps Lord Lloyd-Webber pays the BBC more to over-promote his show, or perhaps the BBC is desperate to compete with Britains got Talent on ITV.

12. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    It was so pointless - anyone who'd had the whole Who episode on would have had the maximum possible annoyance at it appearing right over the climactic moment, and anyone who'd only just turned on was obviously watching BBC One waiting for OTR already.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    What gets my goat is that it's done for purely selfish reasons, and yet the BBC's explanation is sure to be along the lines of 'assisting their audience' - as if they are doing as a favour!

14. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    They've apologised now, after thousands of complaints.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Depends if they're apologising for the timing, or for playing the advert at all. Only one sort of apology is acceptable.

16. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    bloody Graham Norton.... First, the first episode, now this :p

... Luckly I didn't witness it, as I watched it on iPlayer.

I thought the episode was bloody brilliant.

17. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Yeah I watched it on iPlayer too. Looks like I missed out on the real monster on TV too :p

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    More from the BBC.
    A BBC spokesman said the trail "should not have been played out on Saturday."

"We apologise to all Doctor Who fans whose enjoyment of the show was disrupted.

"We recognise the strength of feeling that has been expressed and are taking steps to ensure that this mistake will not happen again," he added.
    Lots of words, but they're stil not saying they won't play those ads over Doctor Who. For them, clearly, it's still a question of timing. :mad:

19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Luckily the DOG did not appear on HD but all these onscreen graphics get my goat, especially on SyFy and Sky. Can't see why the Beeb are going down this route.

A few spoilers are out about tomorrow's episode and "Amy's Choice" which seem to confirm everything that I guessed about Amy, Rory and Leadworth.

20. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    The Angels can't tell when someone's eyes are open? Huwhat? So "Don't even Blink" was wrong all along?

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    They were running for their lives. They weren't interested in Amy at that point. It's not that they couldn't tell, it's that there was something more important on their agenda than taking Amy out. If you're running for your life you don't take everything in, because you're frightened. So in the panic they just assumed she was sighted and thus froze into stone. It's their defense mechanism and it's instinctive - it's automatic (it's not designed to aid their attack, but to aid their defence). They have no conscious say in it. But when Amy falls, and fumbles at length, there's enough going on to demonstrate to the Angels instincts that she can't see. So they instinctively unfreeze, and move to take her.

In Blink, the Angels are fixated on Sally Sparrow. There was no threat to their lives, and so they are taking everything in. So yeah, if you blink they'll move.

So in short, the only reason Amy was able to make it through them was the fact that the Angels were in mortal danger themselves, and in a panic. Up until it became extremely obvious Amy could be targeted, they didn't notice she couldn't see. They only unfreeze when they know they cannot be seen.

EDIT: In addition, think about the classic Angel pose in Blink. Hands infront of the eyes. Even though their hands are positioned to block their view, they still know to move when you blink. Thus, whatever makes them freeze or unfreeze is certainly not triggered by their own sight.

22. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    But the something more important - running for their lives - makes it all the more vital that they move at every moment possible. And if they have no conscious say in it, they should be 'unlocked' whenever they're not being looked at, instinctively. No?
    (I do agree it's not triggered by their own site)
    Even if that's wrong and your reasoning works, the episode didn't make it clear. Not enough for me, obviously.

But, I did enjoy both parts quite a lot, despite my nitpicking. Seeing the Angels in motion was great, I liked how it tied in with both River's story-in-reverse and the crack in the universe, and how it seems to be doing a cover-up on RTD's, sorry, the Doctor's, most public adventures.

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Did Moffat get paid commission for every Star Trek reference he could get in?

"Beam me up"
    Tricorders
    The whole plot of "Remember Me"
    Galaxy Class

And there were some others I can't recall at present

24. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    I think I'm in love with that two parter. It was wonderful!

Seeing the angels in motion, whilst scary, should not have been shown.

25. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    So, when did you get that Amy was doing a countdown? I got it as soon as she said 8. For the first two numbers I thought she had a hearing problem as they were spoken right after the Doctor said a number.

And just to clarify, I think Matt Smith is doing fantastic :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.