main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Draftmania: The Wrestling Draft - winner: Shadow_of_Durron

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by EmpireForever, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Clips ahoy! Oh, a several of these actually show my characters in oppostion with eachother. But c'mon, we all know that hated enemies can become best friends over the course of one day in pro wrestling, and almost everyone I have has had good cohesion with most everyone else I have in addtion to bad cohesion. And most of the bad cohesion comes when some of my guys were in a face phase. If they're all heels, the cohesion should be fine.

And pretty much all of the Edge stuff is from his E&C days. :( Why couldn't I get Christian?

Perfect way to start. WOOOOOO!
    So much awesomesauce crammed into seven minutes.
    Gotta love beatin' on midgets. :D
    Long, but worth it. lol @ Shawn Michaels and Sherri clearly had it coming.
    Was that guy stupid? Razor doesn't pay for food.
    God bless this man. JBL for President!
    Maybe my team name should've been 'We Beat Little People'.
    Long live the stream.
    "Get some of that cheese!" lol.
    Vote JBL.
    Man, I wouldn't want to be Savage and Perfect.
    lol @ Austin.
    lol @ the Hardys. Classic stuff.
    lol @ Austin again.
    lol @ Cena. This time we use midgets to our advantage.
    He scar her heart for life, mang. Hehehe.
    I got Olympic gold!

Alright, alright. Enough. There's plenty more, but Youtube is loading slow for me, so it's taking too long. I think I got most of the best stuff. Oh, wait, I forgot the best one. Katie Vick! You're gonna have to log in and confirm a birthdate for that one. [face_devil]

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Time to make like a Buckeye and come in second place

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Wrestlemania

Roast Beef Sandwich
    Vs.
    The Dudes With Attitudes

Three.

Ted Dibiase TRUMPED with Jeff Jarrett vs. Ricky Steamboat TRUMP Scott Steiner

4. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, I'm leaning hard one way here.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Let me tell you exactly how this match is going to go:

Dibiase and Jarrett are going to isolate Ricky Steamboat and work him over. They're going to get him in their corner and cheat double-team him. I'm talking the old-school cheat: abdominal stretch, where they grab their partner's hand for extra leverage, then Scott Steiner rushes into the ring, the referee stops him (because he "doesn't see" the cheating from the heels), and as he's forced out, Dibiase and Jarrett double team beat down on Steamboat, until the referee comes over, and forces one out, generally not the one that is legally in there. This will continue with several different submission maneuvers applied to Steamboat, including, of course, Jarrett with a figure-four.

This will build up to a head as Steamboat nails an out-of-nowhere hit on Jarrett that sends both men down. Steamboat will crawl to his corner and just as he is about to make the hot tag, Dibiase will run in and distract the referee, who will then turn back around, and put Steiner back outside the ring because he didn't see the tag. This will lead to more of a beatdown by both heals on Steamboat until he finally nails Dibiase with an inverted atomic drop that sends both men down. This time, both crawl to their corner, and make the tag, and Steiner comes in with a vengeance. He nails several rights and forearms to Jarrett, and then hits him with a Frankensteiner, but Dibiase is now recovered and runs in, but Steiner takes him down with a Steinerline ... which probably sends both men over the top rope with the impact.

Jarrett then stands back up, and turns around to find Steamboat coming off the top rope with a flying body press and he hits it for the pinfall win.

And that's how it ends, unless there's a "Dusty finish", with another referee coming down to explain that Steamboat wasn't the legal man (ignoring how many times Jarrett and Dibiase switched illegally), and declares that result void and gives the match to the heels. But I don't see that happening here.

6. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I was leaning that way anyway. Trump 2.

7. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Except these are both trumps, not tag preps, which means everyone is fighting at once.

Also, while Steamboat may or may not be the best guy in the match, Jarrett is right there with him at the very least. And I'd argue that he could very well be the best himself. For all the great matches Steamboat had with Flair, Jarrett's got his own with the likes of Sting and such. For all Steamboat's epic time-limit-draw matches, Jarrett has his King of the Mountain wins. Steamboat had one world title run, Jarrett had many, totalling over a thousand days on top. Steamboat is an exceptional wrestler, but so is Jarrett. Anything Steamboat's got, Jarrett has something to answer it with. It'd be pretty epic, whichever way it went.

But then DiBiase is definitely better than Steiner, I think. Yes, Steiner had one world title reign, but it came in WCW at a point when, IMO, that title meant absolutely nothing. Russo turned that title into a joke, and I think pretty much every reign in WCW after Bret Hart retired was next to meaningless. Yes, that includes Jarrett's four reigns in that time. That includes Flair's. If you need me to point out exactly why the title was crap during that time, I will, but safe to say it also includes Steiner's one and only "world" championship. Guy was never close to the top before or after that, and I think DiBiase is just better than him. He's damn sure a better wrestler and has quite a few big wins himself (by hook or crook, obviously).

But however it ends up going with the matchups (it may switch around at lot), I think Steiner's the first one eliminated. And then Steamboat's in a world of trouble. He might even eliminate Dibiase somehow after that (I could see it), but no way he beats both.

Also, Steiner was clearly never much of anything as an individual wrestler until he became "Big Poppa Pump". That's without a doubt his prime. And unless I'm mistaken, Big Poppa Pump was never a face character. Ever. Ugly cohesion? Well...

8. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    I'm going with Trump 1 on this one.

Sorry.

9. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Ugh. Time to reread the dang arguments soon.

10. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I have to say Trump 1. This would be a decent match, but Shadow is right that Steiner's prime is when he was a heel, which would be a definite negative in the cohesion department. While neither team tagged before to my knowledge, I think DiBiase and Jarret wouldn't have a problem with cohesion since "everyone has a price" :p

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I specifically drafted face Steiner, pre-Poppa Pump. Big difference in the two. PPP Steiner is much more athletic, much less egotistical, and was being primed for just as big a push as a face. I linked to his Flair draw earlier in this thread. It's evidence of skill, speed, strength, and stamina.

And I find the who trump is not a tag thing to be beyond stupid. But, if them are the rules, then them are the rules. But the rules suck, if that's the case.

12. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    PPP Steiner? Awesome. That was a good match, but one high-quality match against a top-level opponent doesn't make a superstar. And maybe he was getting ready to be pushed, but the push fell through and he stayed as a tag-teamer until the start of the BPP phase. And even then remained a mid-carder until WCW's dying days. And as I said, no one's main event status meant much of anything then.

Again I have to point out that the Mountie has a clean pinfall win over Hulk Hogan. But somehow I doubt anyone's drafting him anytime soon. Also, a well-past-his-prime Marty Jannetty gave prime Kurt Angle a pretty damned awesome match as well. I mean, yeah, that right there was arguably as good the super-hyped Angle/Michaels match, but I didn't see people tripping over each other to draft Jannetty. And come to think of it, Jannetty was more successful as a singles wrestler than PPP Steiner. Steiner did win a TV title back in those days as a singles wrestler, but I'll take Jannetty's IC title over that any day. And I'd personally take Jannetty's overall skill and athleticism as well.

Some good matches aside, Steiner's peak is still clearly Big Poppa Pump and beyond. And both Jarrett and DiBiase are better than BPP, and definitely PPP. IMO.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    One match? pfffft. You're ignoring that the Flair match was the cornerstone of his planned push, before his contract dispute. Plenty of other matches in there giving him high quality experience. Just so happens that it comes from an era of house shows, and hence no fancy youtube highlights to show off.

And, besides, I'll take the *slight* drop in individual achievement for the HUGE cohesion lift I get from PPP Steiner.

14. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Well, I edited in up there, but a planned push =/= a push. TV title aside, it went nowhere. Regardless of the circumstances, it is what it is. Hell, DiBiase should've been champ at least once, but he made the huge mistake of being in the WWF at the height of Hulkamania during his prime. That, unfortunately, cost a bunch of people their due time at the top.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Don't act as though PPP Steiner ends when he leaves WCW/NWA at that point in time, though. He's still got several more years of accomplishments and experience he racks up before that distinction can and should be made. There's the WWF run, with a couple of tag title reigns, and the ECW run, where Scott shows his versatility to team with several different partners, not just brother Rick.

And, I almost forgot, the great showing against Flair at the Clash of the Champions was set up because Steiner defeated Flair on an earlier edition of WCW television. So, win over Flair + dramatic draw against Flair. That's not a planned push. It's a push that's aborted during the push. And there's a difference there.

Not that this ultimately matters. You've got a guaranteed win in Chyna, and unless I get an amazing draw with match/tag prep, I've got no one in individuals that can take down Ric Flair, so you've got two wins there just about guaranteed, plus the forfeit from this. So, barring completely crap numbers, you've got this one in the bag. I need to argue the hell out of it to get to teams, where I might have a chance.

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    This may just be me, but if I was drafting, I would pick the Mountie.

Numbers in a sec.

17. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Wrestlemania

Roast Beef Sandwich 1
    Vs.
    The Dudes With Attitudes

Ric Flair vs. Scott Steiner *forfeit*

Oh...well.

Wrestlemania

Roast Beef Sandwich 2
    Vs.
    The Dudes With Attitudes

Um...6?

Jeff Jarrett *forfeit* vs. Hawk (Tag Prep w/Animal)

Now that that's out of the way.

Wrestlemania

Roast Beef Sandwich 2
    Vs.
    The Dudes With Attitudes 1

JBL *Street Fight* vs. Sting

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  19. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Hey, hey, hey now. I know it's Sting and all, but let's not write off JBL. These are the matches where he shines the brightest, no ifs, ands or buts about it. His name might not be associated with "hardcore" the same way Foley's is, but the man is ridiculousy good in these matches. Far more so than he is with any other type.

The man beat the "invincible" John Cena in a parking lot brawl, no excuses, no nothing. And he's a former 17-time hardcore champ as well. Way before his peak, actually.

I think he'd beat Cactus as well. I'm actually in total agreement with Yak about Foley being a glorified jobber. JBL in this match is going to be tougher for Sting than Jack ever was, especially since he won't know what type of match he's in for and JBL will.

Just sayin'. Don't write off JBL in this match type, even against Sting. It'd be a great one.

EDIT: Okay, just took a look at that match. Man, that's tame compared to what's likely to be going to down in this match. Absolutely tame. JBL likes things to get a helluva lot more hardcore than that.

20. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    This is an interesting match. Both guys are very experienced in hardcore, with Sting rollin with bats and don't think I'm about to forget "Bradshaw"

21. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    There's an anti draft waiting to get started which is about a hundred billion times more awesome than dudes in tights, so can we hurry along and finish this?

22. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    I was waiting to see if there were going to be anymore arguements, but I guess there won't be.

So Sting.

23. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
  24. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I just completely forgot about this today, but I'd be inclined to vote Sting as well in a very tough one

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    And so it gets interesting.

Wrestlemania

Roast Beef Sandwich 2
    Vs.
    The Dudes With Attitudes 2

Kurt Angle vs. Kevin Nash (Match Prep: Street Fight)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.