main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Inquisition's Here and It's Here To Stay: The Dragon Age Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by DocRevan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. DocRevan

DocRevan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2008
    Any new Bioware game is a cause for celebration, I say.

There are complaints of it looking a bit too much like Lord of the Rings, I personally don't mind it, but I can definitely see why some people might think so.

I'tll be out sometime next spring, meanwhile you can watch the trailer and judge for yourself.

Teaser Trailer

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This actually has a development date now? It's about time. I was beginning to get a Duke Nukem vibe. :p

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Great to hear (and see), I've been looking forward to this one.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Seriously. This is the Bioware game I'm most excited about, far more than even Mass Effect sequels.

5. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Although I'm counting down the minutes until the Mass Effect sequels are released, I'm already in the tank for this one, too. BioWare can do no wrong at the moment, as far as I'm concerned. Just seeing and hearing that company logo "click" into place at the beginning of the trailer is enough to get me big-time pumped, nowadays.

That said, you can clearly see some major, major "Oblivion" influences watching that trailer, in terms of the armor, character, and environmental designs (the rain-soaked battle practically = Kvatch).

In the last BioWare podcast, Ray Muzyka said he spent an entire recent weekend playing through the current Dragon Age build at home simply as a fanboy. Hyperbole? Perhaps, perhaps not. But given the stellar run that is KotOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect, this one's practically a sight-unseen "buy" for me.

6. DocRevan

May 1, 2008
    I just hope it's longer than Mass Effect and Jade Empire. I hate when I get totally immersed in a world, and then the game ends.

While ME and JE were great games in their own right, for me personally they never quite reached the dizzying heights that KOTOR did. Here's hoping Dragon Age does.

7. DarthSolar

DarthSolar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2008
    Ach, i was going to create a thread on this game soon but ya beat me too it.

Nice looking, been waiting on something like this for a while. Everytime i've been checking up Dragon Age i find nothing but a couple of old build screens.

Wish i was the CEO of BioWare. [face_laugh]

8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Looks intriguing. :) I will be expecting this game with great interest. [/Palpy voice]

9. DocRevan

May 1, 2008
    Good news everyone!

Apparently Dragon Age is not a PC exclusive anymore, and will be coming to consoles as well.

This is something I'm very grateful for, as my old poop machine would never have been able to handle it.

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This will not be greeting with acclaim.

11. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Giddyup.

12. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
    PS3 or PC. It's all good.

13. Hoojib_Wrangler

Hoojib_Wrangler Jedi Knight

Jul 18, 2006
    Count me among the eager. Hopefully by the time this arrives, I'll be past my chokepoint in Mass Effect. (Stupid Marina Sirtis queen!)

14. Master_Palpy

Master_Palpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
  15. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    It looks pretty slick.

16. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I imagine it'll launch initially on PC/360. With the DirectX architecture, it's a lot easier to port between those two platforms. If a PS3 version arises, it will probably be released a good while later.

17. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
    So i win either way. :p

And that is some sexy gameplay. [face_love]

18. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    I was wondering when this would get made. Too bad it took so long though; the graphics kind of take a step back from Mass Effect. Looks like this should have come out after Jade Empire. Still looks like it's worth a play though. The story is almost guaranteed to be fantastic.

_Max

19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    This looks pretty epic. Though, I do think it is copying the LOTR vibe a little. The Orcs look amazing though, and although thats just a cut scene for the trailer, the combat could be pretty sweet too.

20. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Bioware never fails and this looks amazing.

21. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Yay! Another BioWare game where everyone ignores all the flaws of glaring character class, skill and feat imbalance, repetitive, simplistic combat and a broken version of the D20 system!

I can't wait! [face_dancing]

22. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
    I hope starting a small scale conflict between races and nations is something along them lines. [face_devil]

*Edit* Or all out warfare.

23. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
  24. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    a comment about it looking like other games/settings... it's midieval fantasy. there are only so many options for how the way you make armor/weapons/elves and such look.

looks like it could be interesting, and seeing as it's bioware probably a win. no matter what a bitter individual might think, such as R_W.

:snoopy

25. DarthSolar

Jun 4, 2008
    I'm looking over a couple of screens for Dragon Age and it's a pity that they haven't used to same engine as used in Mass Effect. It seems very Neverwinter Night-ish. But non the less pretty.

Edit: 5 minutes of Gameplay.

Gives us a good look at the battle in the first trailer, looks pretty epic. Has a nice, Helm's deep vibe.