Dragon*Con 2003 Suggestions

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by MotF, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    hi,

I'm gearing up for 2003. Would like to take this opportunity for anyone with a suggestion for a panel to let me know.

We strive to bring you the panels and workshops you'd enjoy.

Thanks,

Cathy Bowden
  2. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Oh.. we do meet on Sunday Nights in the MotF Yahoo Chat Room at 9:30pm EST. Hope you can make it from time to time.

Cathy
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/motfjediroundtable/
  3. Quag_Myr_Rumm Jedi Knight

star 3
    How about "Junk, Bondo, and You: a crash course in prop building basics."

A kind of work shop with examples and maybe hands on.
  4. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    I would love to see a panel on costuming basics. :)

5. Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm new to this...is it in the same place every year? ?[face_plain]

Our FF was going to try and go to a convention (preferably this one) and I'm just looking around... :D

God bless!

<3-Malz
  6. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Dragon Con is always in Atlanta, I would recommend contacting the Hothlanta Rebels (the Atlanta FF chapter) for more info.

This is one of my favorite conventions, it is HUGE, diverse and a little on the wild side ;)
  7. Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cool! :D

I'll send them here! :D

Thanks and God bless!

<3-Malz
  8. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Dragon*Con is at both hotels again this year. Right now, the Star Wars track is hoping to be moved to the Marriott. Keep your fingers crossed.

We are going to have the Prop Building Contest.

Also will have a hands-on 'making' a simple costume. More details to come on that one.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Our aim is to please.

Cathy
  9. CrimsonVision Jedi Knight

star 2
    I second the costuming forum! :)

BTW, will all the SW programming tracks be posted here or shall I have to wait till DC posts them on their site?

As you can see by my 'joined date' I wasnt on here before DC last year so Im not sure how that work. :)
  10. Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus

star 5
    How about several younglings geared panels/activities.
  11. Nostradamus Jedi Master

star 4
    I know it is still a long way off, but I was thinking about DragonCon2003 for the past couple weeks.

My suggestion is a track of children's programming for DragonCon2003.

Our daughter usually hangs around with us, but after what Star Wars Celebration II was able to offer the younglings, maybe a kids track would be an avenue to explore.

I know that DragonCon offers a childcare for children 18 months to 6 years, but there isn't anything listed for the older children.

I was reading threads about DragonCon on other message boards where other parents who are thinking about going to DragonCon with their children were inquiring about activities for the children. I am aware that DragonCon is generally not known for it's under-age activities, but I do know quite a few folks with children who may consider bringing them if there were things for the kiddies to do.

I asked my daughter, Quincy for some suggestions.
    She LOVES to play games. That is why she was so interested in the Rebel Legion/501st games that were supposed to happen at last year's convention. They were very disorganized. Maybe, if some of those sort of games were geared towards the kids for the kids and kids only.......... scavenger hunt, Lego competition, trivial pursuit challenge, kids design & make your own costume, kid's hall costume contest, kid's raffle ....etc.

Quincy also LOVES to play all kinds of board games/trading card games. I am always too busy sewing to play that type of game with her. She LOVED the Wizards of the Coast booths/island/continent at GenCon & Wizard World. She couldn't get enough of playing all of the WotC experts at all of their games.
    We also 'invented' new games while we were bored waiting a couple weeks ago---Star Wars charades and "Star Wars Lego characters Cootie." It's like the old-fashioned game of Cootie, but using all the different pieces of the Lego characters figures to create 'unique' new characters. It is actually very funny what sort of combinations you can come up with using a large assortment of figures.

The Kid's room at Celebration II had the kids perform Star Wars skits where each child would get a script and act out different scenes from the movies. Quincy was so all over that.
    There were the arts & crafts, coloring books and individual games for the quieter children (like me) ;)

I am sure that the (older) kids would need to have a room for their events. They would probably also need some supervisors/referees & volunteers. At CII, StarWarsKids.com sponsored their kids area. Maybe LEGO, WotC or Hasbro/Star Wars would like to do a little sponsorship as well.

There may also be some talented individuals who could put on shows/puppet shows/magic shows etc. for the kids.

I know DragonCon2003 is still a long way off, but this kind of thing probably needs plenty of time to be planned/approved and organized.

I am sure there would be at least a few parents that would be willing to volunteer some time to do activities with the children.
    Perhaps some of the parents from other Sci/Fi & Fantasy genres would have some interesting ideas as well, although, I think Star Wars would be most popular with most children.

For any parents who have never attended DragonCon yet, this IS The Mother of all Annual Conventions.
    It is NOT a kid-oriented show by any means.
    It is NOT like Disney World.
    It is not a 24 hour X-rated bacchanal of constant drunkenness all of the time, but there will be scary and suggestive costumes around.
    NOT all kids will be able to handle this type of an event.
    I wouldn't be suggesting this children's programming track to be the baby-sitter service for our kids while we are all out having a good time.

It would be an opportunity for some of us to work with kids and share our broad range of talents, or just play!

What do you think?

12. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Crimson,

What I do is post suggestion topics around the internet. Please forgive me, I forgot to add the Star Wars Programming Track's home page. It is www.dm.net~sf-motf.

The dm.net site is where I'll post the schedule from the time of conception to the final draft. If you link on the DC site for Fan Tracks, it will click to back the Star Wars site at dm.net.

I will start the programming schedule this weekend, for major events (Auction, Costuming events, Trivia, etc.)

Thanks,

Cathy
  13. Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have another D*C-newbie question...how soon should we book a hotel? And do you now anything about the runoff ones yet? ?[face_plain]

Thanks and God bless!

-Malz
  14. CrimsonVision Jedi Knight

star 2
    Malz, I would suggest booking as soon as you are sure if you are going. Hotel rooms go FAST.

FYI; the Hyatt is the designated 'party' hotel. What that means is there are people up and running around at all hours of the night. Its the hub of all the nightitme activity. If you wanna party all night; stay at the Hyatt.

The Marriot on the other hand is the non party hotel. I personally preffer the Marriot as the walk to the Hyatt isnt bad at all (all indoors if you choose) and eventually its nice to be able to go back to your room and catch a few Zzz's without having to worry about being woken up by the Drum circle at the pool. ;) (No, Im not kidding)

So yeah, just my thoughts. Dunno anything about the overflow hotels as Ive only been in the two main ones.
  15. Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [face_laugh]

Thanks Crimson! :D

God bless!

-Malz
  16. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    will people be allowed to sleep in the panels? i think this should be allowed.
  17. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    LOL, some of the panels may *put* you to sleep, goat...in one of the spoiler panels last year there was a large percentage of clone-hayta's whose sad lack of understanding the saga really floored me :eek:

Cathy--thanks for your work on the panels, seems like there was a good mix of 'em last year (though I only got to attend about half the events I was interested in!). Fan-club-building, spoiler discussion, celebrity interviews and prop/costume making all sound like good events for the MotF track.

See you at D*C!

18. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Thanks - we aim to please. Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions!

We are hoping you'll enjoy 2003! The schedule is actually done, just waiting on the powers to be to look it over :)

Here are some of the major events so far
    Matters of the Force

We are still looking for major sponsor contributions for the auction, prizes, and raffles.

See you soon!

Cathy
  19. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Incoming Transmission......

Sleeping is allowed; however, one must maintain the following conditions:

* Vertical position
    * No snoring
    * No open mouths
    * No drooling

Any of the above will be subject to Royal Guards removing to you cell block 1138-A-2003.

End Transmission.......

[face_mischief]

20. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Please help spread the word that MotF will have the following contests at Dragon*Con:

* Fan Film Festival
    * Fan Art Contest
    * Costume Contest
    * Prop Building Contest

Probably more to come. Please keep up-to-date over at Matters of the Force

Thanks,

Cathy Bowden, Director
  21. Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Costume contest, eh? [face_mischief] :p

[Any of the above will be subject to Royal Guards removing to you cell block 1138-A-2003.

You- you wouldn't dare! :p

God bless!

-Malz
  22. Nostradamus Jedi Master

star 4
    I just made my hotel reservations for DragonCon today.
  23. MotF FanForce Chapter Rep Columbus, GA USA

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Hi,

Sorry it's been so long since I've been here. April & May were hell months. Change of hours at work, then off to KC for Mom's surgery; then a complete computer crash which took me 3 days put back together.

Needless to say, I backed up some things and am updating the schedule today/tomorrow and will have it posted by Monday (weather permitting).

24. Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cool! :D

I need to figure some stuff out for going to this. :eek:

God bless!

-Malz
  25. trianiigirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I was looking at the 2003 Programming list, and I see that Sunday night at 10 there's an event labeled "The Cantina", and it mentions trading...

Is there anyone else that is planning on going to it to trade things? I know I have a few action figures and TCG and CCG cards, as well as an Amidala Barbie and other little things... I just wanted to know if there was going to be anyone there to trade stuff with.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.