main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Dragon Con 2003

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Samantha, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Yes yes, I know. Dragon Con is in August, and its only February. Lots of planning is needed inbetween though!

Dragon Con Website

Dragon Con ticket prices
    $45 to February 14, 2003
    $50 to May 15, 2003
    $60 to July 15, 2003
    $75 through August 29, 2003

That means you have until the end up THIS WEEK to get the price of $45 dollars. Ticket prices are NON REFUNDABLE. BUT! (Theres a but) you can transfer your ticket(for a $10.00 fee) to a friend or whoever. Then just have your friend pay you.

Hotels
    The Marriott will host our "daytime" convention functions (Autographings, Art Show/Print Shop, Dealers Room and Exhibit Hall, etc.), while the Hyatt will once again host all 24-hour programming events, Computer Gaming, Video Rooms, our Convention Hospitality Suite (or "consuite"), Concerts, etc.

The Marriott and the Hyatt are across the street from each other, and are also connected with a climate-controlled tubeway if it's really pouring. The Marriott is easily the most architecturally unique hotel in the city, if not the entire Southeast.

It seems like most people stay at the Marriot hotel. Thats where all the fun is.

Single: $148
    Double: $148
    Triple: $158
    Quad: $168
    All suites are available at a 30% discount from "rack rate"

The Hyatt is also offering a $4/night discount with a minimum three-night stay. (That makes it the same rate as in 2002.)
    They are still working on adding an online reservation page for 2003; meanwhile, use the Hyatt's phone number, 1-404-577-1234, to make reservations.
    The Marriott Marquis is also working to add online reservation capability; meanwhile, their direct phone number for reservations is 1-404-497-4661 (7:30am-11pm ET).

Yes, it IS expensive per night. My advice: Get 4-6 people per room. Share beds, floors, sofas, bathtubs, whatever. SHARING IS CARING after all. :)

BOOK YOUR ROOM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! ROOMS ARE SELLING FAST! Be sure to mention you are with Dragon Con when you call any of the hotels. If you don't, you may be quoted a higher rate, or be told the hotel is sold out.

Transportation
    Train, plane, car, bus, camel. Whatever. Everyone is getting there somehow. I would like to set up a car pool for those who cant afford to take a plane. I will be taking a plane down 2 days early to do touristy stuff and enjoy a nice vacation. For those who want to get involved in a car pool please email me jedisamantha@hotmail.com

As for planes...

Delta Air Lines is Dragon Cons official airline for Dragon*Con 2003. You can save by booking your flight to Atlanta for Dragon*Con, by booking your flight on Delta Air Lines. Delta Air Lines is offering special rates which allow you a 5% discount off Delta's published round-trip fares* within the continental U.S., Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, San Juan, Nassau, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Caribbean only. By purchasing your ticket 60 days or more prior to your departure date, you can receive an additional 5% bonus discount.
    *Applicable restrictions must be met. Seats are limited. Booking classes I, U and T are not eligible for Delta Meeting Network discounts.
    A 10% discount will be offered on Delta's domestic system for travel to/from Dragon*Con based on the published unrestricted round-trip coach (Y06) rates. No advance reservations or ticketing is required, but if you purchase your ticket 60 days or more prior to your departure date, you can receive an additional 5% bonus discount. Booking classes I, U and T are not eligible for Delta Meeting Network discounts.
    All you have to do is call Delta Meeting Network reservations at 1-800-241-6760, Monday - Sunday, 8:00 am - 11:00 pm Eastern Standard Time (0800 - 2300 EST). Or, have your travel agent call Delta's toll-free number to obtain these same advantages for you. Refer to File Number 191357A.

Basically, Delta and Continetal are the only 2 airlines that i have searched that have DIRECT flights to Atlanta. Otherwise your stuck making a stop somewhere

2. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Sam

you know Im there :). Need to book my airfare and start saving $$$ for August.

John

3. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Hmm...does it seem like Sam is thinking about going to dragon-con??

Mike C. ;)

4. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Sam has a hotel room. Sam paid for her ticket. Sam's 20th birthday present from her parents is the plane ticket. Sam IS going to Dragon con :) How convient that school starts on September 2nd too :)

5. Nillanator

Nillanator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Dragon*Con is not really for kids. Even in the daytime with regular con stuff going on, you will see barely clothed women walking all around. I thought it was strange when I didn't see many children and soon saw why...LOL

Oh, and lets not forget the real "entertainment" of the con. There was an all female singing group, (who performed in the daytime) who suggestively and partialy undressed the lead singer of the group if that is any idea.

6. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Yep. I've heard many many tales of Dragon Con. So, if you want to bring your kid with you, i suggest bringing the babysitter too!

7. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Even in the daytime with regular con stuff going on, you will see barely clothed women walking all around.

NOW THATS MY KIND OF CON!!!!!

:D :D :D :D ;)

LOL

John

8. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Well for us women we have the "beach trooper" storm troopers. Now.. THATS what IM talking about!!!

9. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    "Dragon*Con is not really for kids. Even in the daytime with regular con stuff going on, you will see barely clothed women walking all around. I thought it was strange when I didn't see many children and soon saw why...LOL"

*books plane ticket* :D

10. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Dudes...we GOTTA make it to that con one day. ;)

Mike C. ;)

11. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    *sigh* men...

12. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    I took Victoria to Dragon Con 2 years ago and while I am a pretty liberal parent a lot of the convention is not for children. However children can enjoy the convention if you do it as my husband and I did. He took her to a lot of the children's programming but also took her to the zoo and science museum in Atlanta as well. All in all I got to enjoy the con and he and our daughter who did not need to be at the con all the time got to see and do some neat things. But the activities at night are NOT for kids...period.

13. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    There you have it ladies and gents from our president/mommy.. This con is NOT for kids.

14. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Not for kids? Does that mean I can't go?

Actually, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it this year. I am looking into flying down Sat Mornign, seeing how Work refused to allow me the days off I requested.

I'm still hoping to go though :)

15. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    201 more days until Dragon Con :) :) :) LOL

16. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I've got my room. Just need to get the plane ticket and the 3-day pass, which I will get in the near future. :)

17. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Not for kids? Does that mean I can't go?

Haha!

Not for LITTLE kids meathead... Big kids (like us) are allowed :)

18. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm glad I have your permission to attend Junior. Now I just have to make sure I can get there to keep you from getting yourself in trouble.

19. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Now I just have to make sure I can get there to keep you from getting yourself in trouble.

*Whistles*

Who me? Get in trouble? Nah.. I'm a little angel :)

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

20. Reaper63

Nov 17, 2002
    exactly my point Junior!

See, You can't even see the danger ;)

21. Calaveylon

Calaveylon Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2002
    Looks awesome!! However, I have to pass on D*C this year, but will try to show next year. I'm saving for the next SW Celebration.
    D*C aslo sounds much like the SCA's Pennsic War. Hmmm...Lots of partying, people having fun, not really for kids under a certain age,
    barely clad women (Tuchux Wenches).

22. Fermez_La_Boushh

Fermez_La_Boushh Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    Meri, this looks like a four-day thing, and looking at the website, there were things scheduled on that Thursday, too, last year. I only mention it because it's MY kind of mistake to make plane reservations that leave out the last day of an event. Same thing with hotels.

23. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Man..I gotta make it to Pennsic too..one of these days.

Mike C. ;)

24. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Unfortunatly for me I HAVE to leave September 1st. I have classes on September 2nd. I'll probabaly be leaving at night though.

25. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Ahh yes, Pennsic...I've been there three times...LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.