main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dragon*Con 2004

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Meriwyn, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Looking forward to the din ner again this year!! I am coming as well as maybe 3 or more members plus my daughter!!
    Marie in Fl.

2. RagingBantha

RagingBantha Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2004
    do I gotta tell y'all how many people will be coming with me? so far its me and a "friend".

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Yes, I need to know exactly how many people are coming.

If y'all haven't done so already, send me an e-mail at FF_Dinner@fanforce.net to RSVP for the dinner. I'm trying to keep all the RSVPs in one place so that it will be easy for me to count the number of folks that are coming. :)

4. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    ARGH! I'm getting so frustrated here. I'm trying to tack down an itinerary for the con. I just want to know when the shows/panels I'm interested in take place. I've looked at the Dragon*Con website several times, but all I seem to be able to find is discriptions of the events and not when they take place. It's hard to plan things when you don't know when various things at the con are happening.

Can anyone help me? :(

:confused: [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/hanluvr/faces/help.gif] :confused:

5. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I was trying to get on the Dragon*Con site last night, but couldn't seem to access more than the first page.

And the sad truth is that the schedule does not really "firm up" until a few days before the con, and even then it is subject to change.

If I find a schedule for you, I'll be sure to send a link your way, Bria. :)

6. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    They don't really post the full schedule to the website. You need to go to the websites for each track to get that.

Here's the listing of all the programming tracks:
    http://www.dragoncon.org/es_tracks.htm

Here's the schedule for the Matters of the Force track:
    http://www.dm.net/~sf-motf/2004%20motf%20schedule.htm

And it changes constantly.

The best thing to do is to set aside some time when you get there to plan. Then look for the DragonCon newsletter for any changes.

7. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Mike (Toymaster) and myself will be at the Marriott, too.

Guess the Hyatt won't be the only "party hotel". :p

8. Bria

May 15, 1999
    And the sad truth is that the schedule does not really "firm up" until a few days before the con, and even then it is subject to change.

Well, that's a bummer. Makes it hard to plan things out. But what can you do?

If I find a schedule for you, I'll be sure to send a link your way, Bria.

I'd appreciate that. :)

They don't really post the full schedule to the website. You need to go to the websites for each track to get that.

Ah. It'd be easier if it was all but on the DC website, but that makes sense. At least I can just check when the stuff I am interested is and hope it doesn't change.

Thanks for the tracks. Obviously, the Star Wars one is one I want to know times for. I'll have to see the LOTRs one. :)

9. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    The full schedule does indeed go up on their website. The trend over the last several years (since 98 or so) has been to to put the final schedule up about 3-4 days before the con.

I wish I had better news to report than that, but that is what goes into DragonCon.

10. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Jace is right, that usually is the case. I've found it's really best not to try and plan anything! You'll find that there will ALWAYS be 4 things you want to go to all at the same time. Never fails. This is my 8th year going!

Go expecting nothing, then everything will be fun. Just go with the flow, there will be plenty to do and just people watching alone will keep you busy<lol>

If you try to plan, you won't have a good time. I've seen people who've tried.

As a Star Wars fan, I'm interested in seeing Steve Sansweet's presentation. That will be both on Saturday and Sunday at 1 pm in the Centenial Ballrooms. They hold from 3,000-4500 people depending on the set up. So everyone should be able to get in with no trouble.
    Star Wars Costume Contest is at 4pm in the Regency Ballrooms on Saturday. This tends to run over and may conflict with the Fan Force dinner a little so you have to take that into consideration.

Janet

11. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    I saw the Star Wars Spectacular at GenCon this past weekend. A lot of fun.

It's basically the usual marketing stuff, but there really are a lot of cool things coming out, so that's worth watching.

The Ep3 stuff is really cool. No final shots, but what they show is great!! I got really fangirly watching it.

Definitely going to see it again at DragonCon.

12. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I noticed that on the MOTF track list there is a Star Wars Playtime on listed at 8:30 on September 5. On it it mentions a trading post. Anybody know if that really means "trading" or if it's "trading" in Ebay terms (i.e. selling? I collect cards so that's why I'm asking. ;)

I also wondered if anybody could tell me if I could reasonably expect to get the following sightseeing things done in Atlanta before Friday afternoon:

Thursday afternoon/eveing: MLK/Stone Mountain/Jimmy Carter library

On Stone Mountain, I really just want to see it. So while I'd like to "go" to it, if it's visible from the airport or downtown, could somebody let me know? It may help determine if I actually travel to the site...

Friday morning: Coca-Cola World/CNN Center

Is it trying to do too much in too little time? :confused:

13. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Honestly, I think you'd be really hard-pressed to do MLK Center, Jimmy Carter Library and Stone Mountain in one afternoon. It might even be hard to do both MLK Center and Jimmy Carter Library in one day. You can attempt it, though.

Stone Mountain Park stays open late, but it would involve traveling on MARTA after dark. As discussed before, that can be a little iffy.

And you can see Stone Mountain from the plane if they're bringing you in the standard direction, but you can't see the sculpture.

Doing CNN Center and World of Coca-Cola on Friday morning is do-able.

14. trianiigirl

trianiigirl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 21, 2002
    Bria: What kind of cards do you have? I tried going to that last year, but it wasn't really organised into anything official as far as I could tell. But if I already know someone will be there with tradeables, I'll bring mine back :D

Any other Hothlantaites: Bev said something on the list about Ray Park coming back, didn't she? Anyone seen this confirmed either through MOTF or the official D*C site? *hopeshopeshopes* [face_love]

15. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    D*C 2004 Schedule is now up online at the official site.

Haven't had a chance to go through it all yet to see if Ray is listed at all. But he isn't listed as a guest on the site anywhere.

16. MaraKenobi

MaraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2004
    I can't wait! :D

And I haven't seen anything about Ray Park being there sadly :(

He was awesome!

God bless!

-Mallory

17. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    Trading is as in trading cards to help make sets, trading other collectibles like pins or stickers or what ever else you have. I doubt it'll be all that organized just a casual way to trade with others.

As for Ray Park, that's a new one. I know there is a "Surprise" guest coming, but I couldn't squeeze it out of Cathy. My bet is that it is Pablo Hildalgo from Star Wars.com. He does all the set diaries for those who don't know him. He was there a few years ago. A really cool guy. I'll be looking forward to seeing him again if that is who it is.

I did confirm it is not Hayden or Rick McCallum like at ComicCon. Darn!

For those of you who have items to sell, or want to buy at a good price, check out the MOTF Auction on Sunday morning. You can sell your stuff and MOTF gets a 10% commision on the final price. This is how they raise money to fund the track. DC supplies the rooms and they get limited access to the guests, usually one panel per day, but that is about it. So this really helps MOTF out when you participate--And it can help you recoup some of your con going costs<lol> The bidder forms are available for download on the MOTF site: http://dm.net/~sf-motf

Can't wait to see you all there--
    Janet

18. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    The Ray Park rumor started from a member of the Hothlanta Rebels on our Yahoo list. She is the director for the Young Adults Literature track and said that Ray Park was confirmed at this past weekend's D*C staff meeting. She posted this info on our list, so this is where Trianigirl got it from.

19. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Honestly, I think you'd be really hard-pressed to do MLK Center, Jimmy Carter Library and Stone Mountain in one afternoon. It might even be hard to do both MLK Center and Jimmy Carter Library in one day. You can attempt it, though.

Drat, I was afraid of that. Well, I guess I'll knock Jimmy Carter off my list. I want to see it, but the price is really higher than I want to pay, and the other two interest me more. I'm the good little tourist! :D ;)

Stone Mountain Park stays open late, but it would involve traveling on MARTA after dark. As discussed before, that can be a little iffy.

And you can see Stone Mountain from the plane if they're bringing you in the standard direction, but you can't see the sculpture.

Thank you for the info. When I say SM, it's the sculpture I want to see... I actually wondered as my uncle and I argued about there being one there. He said it was just a big stone - but I know he was there AFTER it was completed, so I figured it might not be easy to view. Anyway, I'll see if I can find someone or others to go with me in case it does get into the evening.

Doing CNN Center and World of Coca-Cola on Friday morning is do-able.

Awesome. That's good to hear. Reading the description (and time recommendations in the AAA travel book) did make it seem possible.

Bria: What kind of cards do you have? I tried going to that last year, but it wasn't really organised into anything official as far as I could tell. But if I already know someone will be there with tradeables, I'll bring mine back

Bascially a lot of different stuff. Little vintage (though one or two pieces), but I have lots of extra cards from US modern Topps sets.

Trading is as in trading cards to help make sets, trading other collectibles like pins or stickers or what ever else you have. I doubt it'll be all that organized just a casual way to trade with others.

Great! That's what I was hoping. I mostly trade cards for cards, but every once and again I do trades for different odds and ends. I'll bring suitable items along.

Thanks for the input, folks! :D

For those of you who have items to sell, or want to buy at a good price, check out the MOTF Auction on Sunday morning. You can sell your stuff and MOTF gets a 10% commision on the final price. This is how they raise money to fund the track. DC supplies the rooms and they get limited access to the guests, usually one panel per day, but that is about it. So this really helps MOTF out when you participate--And it can help you recoup some of your con going costs<lol> The bidder forms are available for download on the MOTF site: http://dm.net/~sf-motf

Call me inept, but I'm confused. I do have some trading card sets that I could probably bring along (have to ask first since I got them from a FF friend to sell on Ebay), but the seller # and item #... how do we know these? Do people walk around and view the pieces and then write down a bid? Is that how it works? :confused:

20. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    I'd be impressed if it were Pablo Hidalgo attending. I don't think the Ep3 additional shooting will be done by next weekend. But ya never know!

I wouldn't mind seeing Ray Park again; especially if his knee injury has healed up and he can demo more martial arts for us!

21. trianiigirl

Jun 21, 2002
    I wouldn't mind seeing Ray Park again; especially if his knee injury has healed up and he can demo more martial arts for us!

Seconded! [face_drool] [face_love] :p

22. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    It is a silent auction. The seller number you will get at the auction before it starts and write it on the tickets. The Item number is your items 1-10 or what ever. The sellers usually just write down their names rather than badge numbers. At the end, he or she who has the highest bid wins. You collect up your winning bids(if a buyer) and check out and pay. If your a seller, you collect those items that don't sell(hopefully not alot) and then go to the MOTF room I think she said about 2 pm and get your money!

A helpfull hint, write down all the stuff your selling and at the end of the auction quickly jot down the price of the winning bid. That way you can check it against what you get paid. There usually isn't a problem but it's good to do.

I stongly reccomend to collectors. I've gotton some great deals. Most who sell are other collectors who have doubles of stuff and just want to usually get some money back so they aren't trying to scalp anybody. Most of us end up spending any money we make on other stuff for sell!!!

I'll be selling some stuff this year so I hope to see you there. Let me know if you need any other questions answered.

Janet

23. MaraKenobi

Aug 12, 2004

Yeah! :cool:

One of the guys in my FF got to fight with him! :cool: :D

I'd like to sell some stuff but I unfortunately won't be there on Sunday! :(

God bless!

-Mallory

24. MaraKenobi

Aug 12, 2004
    Anyone see the SW people on the Walk of Fame for this year? ;)

http://dragoncon.org/images/walkoffame.jpg

:cool:

God bless!

-Mallory

25. trianiigirl

Jun 21, 2002
    RAY PARK IS ON THE WALK OF FAME! :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you for this info, Mallory! *dies in fangirlish glee*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.