Dragon*Con 2005

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by MotF, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotF Jedi Master

star 2
    Hi,

MotF planning session is now officially open :).

Here what Fan Tracks can't do anymore - hold raffles of any kind. We received our warning from the State of Georgia. Raffles are against the law in the state -go figure.

Another change to the track forums. Auctions must be for charity only and only for the charity that Dragon*Con has selected. No items are to be sold for profit. This falls under 'dealer' and they need to go to the dealer room.

Other than that - I'm underway for ideas on NEW panels.

I've also created a poll for those guests you'd like to see this year. The poll in no way reflects who will come or not come - just a filler.

Thanks.

Cathy Bowden, Director
    Star Wars Programming
    Dragon*Con, Inc.
  2. SarkaVrae Jedi Master

star 5
    *does the happy dance*

i have no ideas to contribute, just happy that i'll be there! :D
  3. Malz4JESUS Jedi Knight

star 5
    Aww man, that's crappy about the raffles :(

Hmm...what would I like to see? I know they do this about every year...but help with costuming would be good. Have a panel of costumers and we can ask questions about certain costumes maybe?

God bless,
    Malz
  4. Salty Jedi Master

star 5
    When is Dragon*Con?
  5. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Labor Day weekend.

~H~
  6. SaberClaw Jedi Youngling

star 1
    What is in Dragon Con for SW fans ? ? ?
  7. F16WarBird Jedi Youngling

star 4
    http://www.dragoncon.org

Draw your own conclusions. It's not about Star Wars. It's better. ;)
  8. Phoenix21 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The Star Wars track is very kid friendly. There are activities later in the evening geared more for adults. My favorite last year was Mr. Star Wars...very funny. I'll be there this year to see the next crowning. Basically the nerdest of the nerds win.

If you've never been to D*C, it's great. They have a wide selection of Sci-fi and fantasy. Lots of great costumers on site too.

Can't wait...I'm counting down the days.
  9. MotF Jedi Master

star 2
    We are also running the annual MotF Badge Art Contest. Pick a theme from EP III & submit it to me. Dimensions should be 2 1/4 by 3 1/2. Submit artwork in jpeg or gif and email to sf-motf@att.net.

Costuming demos & workshops will be in two parts. One part will be dealing with Imperial outfits & part two will be dealing with Rebellion outfits.

This year we will be doing rebel pilots, padme gowns, imperial officer, and several others.

Steve Sansweet is coming - and I'm sure his presentation will be great.

In about a week, I hope to have a preliminary schedule up at www.motf.org.

Cathy
  10. Phoenix21 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I was checking out the website for D*C and they have lots of guests listed now...Ray Park, Rena Owen, Daniel Logan, Peter Mayhew - these are repeats from last year - yippee! I'm also siked because they will have a huge group from Firefly there and several co-actors from StarGate...I'm watching that guest list grow.
  11. jedilona Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Maybe now I'll finally make sure to get Rena Owen's autograph..
  12. Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Yeah, I missed out on her autograph last year as well. Should be a blast! 2.5 months to go...
  13. Doc_Bev Jedi Knight

star 5
    Not really a MotF comment, but I was wondering if anyone had any feedback for the Atlanta Travelodge? Has anyone stayed there before? Good experience? Bad experience?

~Doc_Bev
  14. MotF Jedi Master

star 2
    Hi,

Never stayed there. Is it near the Hyatt? I need to find out if the DC shuttle will be running this year. It takes to you all the local hotels so you don't have to walk. Will call and post back here.

1. New guests: Peter Mayhew, Mary Oyaya, Cheralyn Lambert, John Hudgens, and John Mullaney, who is an illustrator for the Star Wars Incredible Cross-sections series of books.

The final schedule is due the 12th and will be posted on Matters of the Force by the 15th.

Cathy
  15. theBluePhoenix Jedi Master

star 3
    I just found out the both the Marriott Marquis and Hyatt Regency are sold out! Does anyone have a recommendation for an overflow hotel? Which one is closest to the Marriott and the Hyatt? The Hilton Atlanta and the Westin Peachtree Plaza look closest on a map.
  16. RemyCat Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The Hilton is right behind the Marriott, so it would be fairly convienent. DC used to be held at the Hilton and it is a fairly nice hotel.
  17. theBluePhoenix Jedi Master

star 3
    Thanks. What about the Westin? Is it about as close as the Hilton? I guess it's really not a big deal if its just a matter of walking a block or two. It just might be weird walking in the street in full costume. However, I have a feeling I won't be the only one.
  18. RemyCat Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Not sure about the Westin, but one the other hand, haven't heard any complaints about it either. Don't worry about walking around in costume, you will be one of many!

What's funny is seeing those in costume eating lunch at the mall during the weekend. I think the people who work there get a real kick out of it!
  19. jedichic07 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    actually you feel weird when you are NOT in costume..I get to go!!!! Yea!
    Can't wait!
  20. The_Wookie_Girl Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Friday

I attended the very first SW panel, the one on fan fiction at 1 PM. The lady hosting the panel was very knowledgeable, and I hope that she can give more panels of this type, as her info related to fiction writing in general, just not fanfic or SW fanfic, although she used many examples from that genre to illustrate her points.

The Road Trip panel that night was quite interesting! Mike and I attended, and were quite surprised that there weren't more folks present. The speaker really knew his stuff, and the pictures he had were great, matching the screen shot with the actual location. He and his friends are publishing a book on all this.

We missed most of SW: Revelations, which was shown later on Friday evening, but I now have a copy and have viewed it. It's a great fan film, quite in Lucas' style, and I know that I'll be checking out the Fan Films forum here.

Saturday

Steve Sansweet's presentation, SW is Forever, at 1 PM had tons of info and good film/video clips, although it seemed to be more of a look ahead, rather than a look back. I enjoyed the heck out of it anyway, esp. seeing one of the deleted scenes for RotS, in the senatorial sub-plot.

The SW costume contest was entertaining, mostly due to the music stylings of Lukeski and the lady named Carrie. The parody "Grease Wars" had the audience rockin'! Not sure who to direct this to, but someone must let contestants know that they must stop for a few seconds or more in front of the audience. The judges and the kids' court aren't the only ones present, we in the audience would like to view the costumes as well, and have a chance to take pictures. (This isn't just a problem here, but is something that I often see at any costume contest. Yes, I know that the entrants are only allowed so much stage time, but please please don't just walk across the stage! They don't have to perform, but they do need to stop and pose for a few seconds so that the audience can actually see their wonderful costumes. Had I spent ages working on such an awesome costume, I sure would want to show it off. Perhaps in all these how to make a costume classes the mod could talk about stage presentation and getting rid of stage fright as well? If we don't get a chance to see the costume, it's just too sad to think that all that hard work doesn't go for much. :( ) On the whole, the costumes were beautiful and well-made, and we did get some pics. The lady in the white and silver mini-dress with silver go-go boots and a shiny blue wig should have gotten something! She even had a device that made R2 noises! :)

The SW Trivia contest was interesting, but I don't think that the questions were put in a fair way. Some contestants got only easy questions, while others got only difficult ones. Not sure how such can be resolved. :( And I wasn't alone in thinking this, as contestants and other audience members alike were vocal in their comments on this. Also, it took forever to get started, so someone in charge should have taken charge and gotten things going sooner. Again, the audience was complaining, and some folks left who might have stayed.

The Mr Star Wars contest, on the other hand, moved along quickly, and was well organized, and was also quite quite amusing. :) The audience laughed a lot, which is a Good Thing (TM). :)

Sunday (We got a late start on Sunday. :( )

Wanted to attend the 4 PM panel, a discussion of RotS, but the room was full when we arrived. If anyone here attended, please sum it up for us. *makes kitten eyes*

Also tried to attend the Light Saber Dueling Lessons, but the room was too small and had too many people. And it's difficult to see over others when one is short, like moi. ;) One of the larger ballrooms would be great for this class/workshop, if it could be gotten out of the Dragoncon people who make such decisions.

The SW Fan film on Sunday were a great hoot! We enjoyed the parody films a lot. :)

Monday

The SW mythology panel on Monday was a fascinating, good, complex discussion! It was a great example of the give-and-take that ca
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.