main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dragon*Con Staff???

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Allie Fox, Mar 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    I know it's still a while away but it will be here before you know it. Do any of the Hothlanta Rebels volunteer at D*C?

I've considered volunteering for staff duties this year and would like to know if you guys have ever worked for the Con? What should I expect? What do you do?

There is a staff meeting in May that I will try to attend but other than that there really isn't much other info floating around.

2. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    I personally do not work the staff, but I can tell you I have several friends who do. They all complain that it is LONG days and a lot of grief. But in the end, they love doing it because they are helping out fandom. I won't join staff because I like to enjoy my weekend and be part of the con. It isn't for everyone, but if you feel you have a certain talent (guest relations, security, audio visual equipment, etc.) and want to be part of one of the countries biggest conventions, then you should give it a shot at least once. Just my opinion :cool:

3. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    Yeah, I feel the same way. I made too many commitments last year and felt to much like I had "worked" DC rather than attended. I just want to go and have fun. That is not to put the volunteers down though, without them it would never happen.

4. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    From my understanding, the Star Wars room requires a little patience, but in the end it's fun.

And there are also fifty bazillion other positions at DC that you can choose from as well.

I prefer the lazy route, myself, thankyouverymuch. :D

5. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    I volunteer for odd things, but I'm also in the art show and will be doing a fair amount there with my work. That in addition to gaming, hanging with friends, attending panels, etc...

Well put it this way, I don't volunteer for shifts. :) I just kinda... do stuff! :)

~Caleigh

6. Tammy-Wan

Tammy-Wan Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2001
    I volunteered one year, and it was a MESS. I was in the British Sci-Fi track, and when I showed up, they had nothing for me to do. the guy who was running it liked to complain how much he had to do and how little sleep he got. "Well, I can do something," I'd say, but then he was like no, I'll do everything myself. I got really tired of it by the end of Friday so I just took off and did my own thing.

It was very frustrating to me how badly-run the whole thing was. I was there to help but no one was interested. Maybe it was just my track, I don't know.

Tammy

7. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I hope you folks don't mind me reviving this thread.

I'm starting to make my Dragon*Con plans and I noticed that they are already on the standby list for fan tables and Fan Force isn't even on that.

The most fun I had at Celebration II was hanging out and volunteering at the Fan Force table, meeting other FFers from around the world and describing the organization to people who asked.

If any of you have an "in" with the Dragon*Con organization maybe you could get a table arranged by being the "local Star Wars group" and then it could be staffed the same way as C2, by people from all over volunteering for shifts. I know I would be willing to put in at least 4 hours.

Hope to meet all of you there.

8. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    It is definitely something the group locally has tossed around. However, our local man-power just doesn't permit. DragonCon is different from CII in sooooo many ways, that it is difficult to get the man power. Last year we found our best form of advertisement was at the Matters of the Force track. But if there are enough people interested, perhaps it can be done? I differ say on this to Minacia, the regional admin and local city rep. Personally, I'm not willing to committ that type of time for myself, nor am I willing to volunteer any local members until the group discusses it further. But if FanForce global wants to approach this, then cool.

:cool:

9. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    If we can find volunteers willing to staff a FanForce table in two-hour shifts, I don't see why we can't give it a whirl. I know that there will not be enough of us from Atlanta to do it alone and still find time to have fun, so we'll need volunteers from other FanForce groups to help us out.

Any thoughts on this, gang?

10. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Minacia, I can commit myself to helping the Fanforce table. I will check with the other members that are going to Dragoncon and see if they would like to volunteer.

11. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    It sounds like you all are interested, I PM'd Hama(FF Admin) about it, I know he will be there. BobaFemme organized the schedule at C2, I don't think there was any problem getting people from all over (even from Australia) to volunteer for shifts.

We should get an admin to create an official thread in one of the other forums (can't think of which one) to organize the schedule when we get closer and people can commit.

Now the important thing is getting a table to staff...

12. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I'll have to find someone to contact about getting a table. The only problem that I see with staffing the table is that there will not be as many FF folks at this convention as there were at CII. Also, those who volunteered at CII may not be willing to volunteer again.

Let me find out about getting a table before we make any definite plans.

13. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I agree, let's find out if we can even get a table before we start to worry about staffing it.

Thanks for offering to look into it!

14. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Minacia...here is the link for FanClub tables at DragonCon:

http://www.dragoncon.org/fantable.html#standby

Just so you know, they no longer have any tables left. All that is available is standby. Honestly, with standby we probably won't know until the con if we can get a table (there are 4 groups already). Could we get folks to volunteer on a "possible" table? I don't know how well that would work. Maybe we should try this for next year and get it reserved now.

15. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Finding enough staff for a table ahead of time is very overwhelming from the C2 standpoint. Part of it is that we couldn't draw on our local FFs as they had their own tables to take care. From that perspective, it'd be much much easier if the local FF groups and national/international FF groups pooled resources.

If this is a possibility, let me know if you need help.

:) Erica

16. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Like I posted above, DragonCon is now at standby status with club tables. So we wouldn't know until the last minute if we had one or not. Is there a banner for FanForce that anyone knows of. Even if we can't do this year's DC, it's good to start thinking about other conventions down the road. Perhaps places where FanForce is going to make a larger presence. Just curious.

17. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I started out the discussion with the info that the tables were already on standby status, my whole point was to see if someone local would have an "in" with the con organizers or could maybe convince them to reserve a table on the basis of supporting "local" groups. If that can't happen, then no problem, we start planning for next year as you suggest, but don't count it out until someone has tried.

One way or the other, if I go, i'll look forward to meeting you and anyone from your group who shows up, maybe have a FanForce dinner or something that we can post here as a get-together.

18. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    As the con already has several groups on standby, I really don't think FanForce would make a good name for itself by bumping to the front of the list. I understand what you are asking. I have several friends who are high up in the DragonCon organization and I am not willing to ask them to bump us up. I know if I were a group on standby and I saw another club come and be placed to the front, it wouldn't sit very well with me. I doubt that is the image FanForce wants to portray.

As of right now, the Hothlanta Rebels are currently working on a group dinner for all FanForce members at DragonCon. The specifics will be forth coming shortly.

19. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    hi all!
    i've been reading through this thread b/c some of us from the king of prussia, pa philly outer rim chapter are coming down to dragon con. we'd definitely be interested in the dinner. and if ff can't get a table, perhaps there is another way we can show our numbers....could we all wear some sort of armband or badge that would mark us as ff?? just an idea...something to think about.

calixte

20. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Hey there, Calixte! I'm glad you could drop by. :)

We're currently working out all the final details of our Dragon*Con FanForce dinner. I think I can safely say that it will not be a plain old sandwich and chips affair. ;)

Just keep your eyes peeled. We'll be announcing the details soon. :)

21. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Hi all,
    just wanted to update you on the fan table situation. Evidently, they are having tables at the Marriott and Hyatt this year and have more tables available. From what I read on the latest DC website update, there are no longer anyone waiting and there seems to be tables available, so if your still intererested.....

BTW, we will have a table available for flyers, etc at the MotF room so feel free to bring some with you to give out. We have a full schedule this year and I know that Hotlanta rebels will be in at least two panels on Monday.

As far as con staff positions go, there are still a few openings in the Art Show I think. (Frankly, that's where I wanted to go this year) Mostly work before and after the con, and sitting in a chair watching people go in. A very low stress job<G>

Motf is fully staffed again this year, but on of our staffers is part of the Tennesee Fan Force, I'm trying to get the Charleston Group set up and hope we'll be "official" by DC. We've got quite a few members coming.

Staff positions are hard, long hours, and alot of work. Not really worth the free ticket, and that is the only real perk. However, you don't have to be a staffer to volunteer. We have many volunteers who help out when they can on a variety of things. So, If you have some free time or see a panel that you'd like to help out on, by all means please volunteer. --I get tired of moving those chairs all weekend, and getting water for panelist! and counting heads!

The new schedule should be submitted this Saturday. It may change a bit depending on DC. But this one will probably be it.

The good news is we got Regency 6 and 7 for the Costume contest. This is a really big hall and much needed. We will also have Regency 5 for the Celebrity and Charity auction which will be nice.

We are going to have a swap and brown bag dinner on Friday. Basically, bring the sandwiches or pizza to the Dunwoody and eat in peace and quiet. Bring those Go-gurt tubes and trade them with others to try and get the set. I know I'm short quite a few. Got plenty of Qui Gons and Darth Mauls! Bring Dorito 3D's to trade or trading cards, cereal box pens, what ever?

Thanks,
    janet

22. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Okay, did I miss something?? Hothlanta Rebels will be on 2 panels. Minacia, are you going to sit in for the club this year? If you need me to get up there, let me know. As far as fan club tables, I know I've mentioned this off line to Minacia. The DragonCon folks have been slow in responding to requests and questions on this. The Atlanta Science Fiction Society has been trying for several weeks to get more info on it from the new person in charge of this.

23. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    As Janet mentioned and straight from the Dragon Con website:

"Yes, sadly, the Concourse area is being split up in 2002, with some tables in the Hyatt and some tables -- fan-groups and freebie tables -- now located in the Marriott. But this is GOOD news, since it means that all fan-groups previously shown on either the Confirmed or Standby lists are now "confirmed" for 2002. Our onsite coordinator for the Marriott tables will be Rebecca Tabor, who becomes the onsite Director of the Marriott's Concourse Area. Requests for tables should still be emailed directly to Paul W. Cashman. "

It looks like they may have some more tables still.

24. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I've offered to sit in on a fan club panel, but I haven't heard anything about a second panel. Perhaps one of our other members has volunteered?

I appreciate your offer of help with a panel, Jace. I will probably need "back-up". :)

25. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Hi,
    Ok we have you for the Fan Club panel on Monday at 10:00. Then we have another panel that Cathy was under the impression that was being run by the Hothlanta Rebels, but maybe she is wrong. The panel is called:
    SW's Keeping it in Perpective, the panelist are Marie Van Roekel, Gertjan Van Roekel, Jason Hill, Neil Pace, Kelly Griffin, TD Henshew, and Debby Weaver. Are these people in your group? If not, I wonder who they are<lol>
    As you can see, I didn't plan that one so I only go by what I'm told!

Anyway, we are planning now on having a Fan Film panel on Saturday at 7pm if there are any Fan Film makers in your group who'd like to come and talk about how to go about doing this kind of thing, maybe show their film. Please contact Cathy at
    sf-motf@worldnet.att.net Today or tommorow,
    we need to get the final schedule in for print by Monday. Doesn't mean you can't participate, just won't have your name in print. ;-)
    Thanks,
    Janet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.