main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DragonCon 2003

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Midnightguard, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi Atlanta FF from up north here in Michigan.

Only 77 Days to go till DC 2003. Some members from the Detroit FF are going to make their way down this year (I believe about a dozen or so members).

Do any of you know if any of the other FF chapters are attending? Is there any plans for a get together among the FF chapters that do go during the Con?

2. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Sorry...the insanity we're all going through in our non-SW lives, right now, is unbelievable.

We are planning a FF get-together. We're getting together tomorrow to finalize plans and then we'll announce it.

Look forward to seeing you and hope you can volunteer some time at the FanForce table.

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I know that several members from other FanForce groups do plan to attend. But I'm not sure just how many FanForce folks will end up making the trip.

We will be hosting the FanForce table and a Mr. Star Wars contest. We also hope to host another FanForce dinner, similar to the one we held last year. Hopefully, we'll have all the information you need ready by the beginning of July. Just keep your eyes peeled. We'll be making plenty of announcements as Dragon*Con approaches. :)

4. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Got my ticket today, ready to go. I still plan on volunteering on Sat. afternoon and possibly Sunday at the FF table at the booth. The booth will be one of my first stops and depending on how things go Fri. We are now planning on driving Thurs. night.. I figure as a night nurse, I can drive all night and wait for sleep until Fri. night. I'll pack some code red and live wire. Really excited.
    Marie in Tamapa

5. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Okay, I have a question on the "Mr. Star Wars" contest. Is this a trivia contest, a costume contest, a lightsabre dueling contest, or what? Is there a swimsuit competition?

Those of us in Nashville are wondering.

6. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    A little bit of all of it, actually. ;)

Seriously, there will be a bit of trivia, a personal question-and-answer session (as in personal questions will be asked to determined the contestants' level of fanboy-ish tendencies), and perhaps a talent competition. We're still working out all the details. More info should be forthcoming soon.

Paula, if you're out there, you can fill in anything that I am forgetting. :)

7. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Basically, we're looking for the biggest Star Wars obsessive.

We'll be looking for how much you've altered your life for Star Wars. Strange things you've done for Star Wars. Your level of "geekdom," as it were.

The funnier, the better.

We really just want everyone to have fun with it. It'll have the basic look of a beauty contest, but we figure it's more fun to look for the geek factor in all of this.

8. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    If Dylan is entering can you PLEASE have a swimsuit contest!!! [face_mischief] [face_mischief] [face_devil]

9. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    As long as I don't have to paint my chest like Darth Maul... ;)

10. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Oh, come on Dylan! You know you want to! :p

11. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    What about a MRS. / Miss. Star Wars contest? :D

There are of alot of Indy Knights and 501st Bloodfin Garrison members coming down for the con. I missed the dinner last year and would love to see another one happen. Also count me in if you need volunteers to work the FF table again. I had nice time talking to (except Dylan ;) ) the Hothlanta Rebels I got to work with.

12. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I had nice time talking to (except Dylan ;) ) the Hothlanta Rebels I got to work with.

No paper X-Wing for you! :p

13. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Forget Mrs. Star Wars, I want Miss SW! Bring on the the single women for the married man! Seriously, if the Mr. SW works good, perhaps a co-ed contest is in order for next year?

As for the dinner and table plans, the reservations have been setup for the restaurant. We are planning on Trader Vic's again. More info to follow soon on the boards. We are thinking of doing this on Saturday evening at about 5ish. This way we avoid scheduling against the evening activities from both the con and the 501st. The table has been reserved as well. Expect to see Minacia have a sign up sheet for that pretty soon.

Mandy, did I answer correctly? Can I have a gold sprinkle star now?

14. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    We have created a nifty guide to Atlanta and Dragon*Con for those new to the event and/or unfamiliar with the area.

You can find it on our webpage here:
    Guide to Atlanta

Hope this is helpful. We'd appreciate feedback to make it better.

15. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    You are correct, Ian. *Hands him a gold sprinkle star* ;)

I will be posting FF dinner info and the FF table volunteer sign-up sheet within a few days. :)

16. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    You might need to check the MOTF schedule on http://dm.net/~sf-motf

I believe, the Costume contest will be in progress or just ending at 5pm This is pretty popular. Is Trader Vics in the Hotel? I can't remember. If so, this might not be a problem.

However, My fellow fan force member, Krista will be doing a panel at 7pm on Saturday discussing the references and comparissions in medieval literature with the prequel trilogy. She has a Masters in English Lit and knows her mythology and such. Some of the comparisions she has come up with has been amazing. So on Saturday, we may have to bail out early.

Also, the 501st usually has a dinner on Saturday night, would this be a conflict as well?

Just to really throw a wrench in the whole thing, why dinner? Why not a breakfast on Friday morning? or Sunday Morning? Then we wouldn't be conflicting with any con events and more people may be able to attend.

I know that last year, Atlanta Bread Company and a couple other places were open as early as 8am on Sunday and the food court seating area was nearly desserted.
    Just a thought.

But just let us know and we'll work it out the best we can.

Thanks,
    Janet

17. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Here is the problem with doing any sort of group get together at DragonCon. Friday had the Darth Maul Estrogen Brigade dinner and later Saturday evening had the 501st dinner. Unfortunately, no matter what time we plan this, it is going to conflict with folks in some way shape or form. Breakfast sounds good, but then not everyone can be up for that time period. Lunch conflicts with many day time panels and the FanForce table. So where does that leave us? Sunday night might be bad for folks as well, as the main masquerade is then.

As this event falls mainly on the Hothlanta Rebels to plan, perhaps this is something we need to go back and discuss. Rest assured though, we are already working with our 501st friends to make sure we don't cross over with them. I'd hate for us to overlap with the MOTF costume contest as well. Right now, the plans are what was posted, but rest assured, the organizers for Atlanta FanForce will discuss and try to work this out. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

18. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    You aren't kidding, too much going on isn't it? Well,-and this is just something to throw around. Friday, most panels don't start till 1pm. Dealer's room doesn't open till noon. So, perhaps a late Breakfast say at 10 am? Registration opens at 8am so hopefully those who need to get badges will be able to get them, of course, I don't know how many interested would be there on Friday.

Sunday actually may be a good time. The masc doesn't even start till 9pm and is usually an hour late at that. So, perhaps an early Sunday Dinner might work out? Like 5pm to give everyone interested in the Masc a chance to go. I also know that the Star Wars programming Sunday evening is pretty weak due to the Masc.

Janet

19. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Actually, Sunday might just be better considering the info supplied. I suppose we'll have to talk this over and figure this out.

20. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Many FF folks don't get into town until Friday, so holding the dinner early that day is probably not a good idea. I know that even I will not be getting to the con until late Friday afternoon, due to work and school.

As Jace said, we're going to conflict with something no matter what we do. We are still discussing the scheduling of the dinner. A final announcement will be posted soon. :)

21. oggiebendoggie2001

oggiebendoggie2001 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    Greetings from Louisville, KY! My wife and I are planning to head down to Dragon*Con this year. I've been attending since 1998 (though I missed last year), and this will be her first year. I just wanted to say hello, and I hope to meet some of you folks there! :)

Bruce

22. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Be sure to stop by the FanForce fan table to say hi! :)

And if you are able to attend the dinner, please do so. The more, the merrier! :D

23. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Hi,

I think Breakfast is a great idea also, but, I go with the flow :)

One thing to remember about the DC Masq is that they start seating, I believe, an hour before the contest starts.

I will check on this and get the information back to this spot ASAP.

Cathy

24. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Cathy:

Not sure if you saw Minacia's post or not yet, but the dinner is still on for Saturday at Trader Vic's, located in the Hilton. Dinner start time is 5:515. Minacia is taking seating RSVPs now I believe. Just an FYI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.