main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC DragonCon 2003

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Cinnea, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    With 58 days until the big event, I thought I should start a thread with all the important details for one of the biggest and most fun conventions around. which I know is being attended by a few Senators. Since this will be my fourth trip to Hotlanta, I?m going to add in my own editorial comments, and anyone else who has been should feel free to do the same. Also, any questions that you may have, I?d be glad to answer, or try to answer, or try to find out an answer. Most of my info comes from the main site, which is found at:

dragoncon.org

DragonCon goes from August 29th thru September 1, 2003. Why, you may ask yourself, should I go? If you like Sci fi, media, books, comics, anime, gaming, goths or geeks, then this is the place for you. There?s an entire Star Wars programming track, and if that bores you, check out Buffy, LOTR, The Wheel of Time, Anne McCaffrey, Xena, comics, books?.. you get the idea. There?s in the neighborhood of 20,000+ attendees. There?s a masquerade, a Dawn Look A Like Contest, Short films, movies, filking, concerts. And the guests! Ray Park, John Rhys-Davies, Bill Mumy, George Takei, Ray Bradbury, Kevin Anderson, Luke Perry (?), the Cruxshadows? and there?s sure to be more added. It?s well worth it ? only if you like crowds, because it is very crowded.

DragonCon is at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta and the Atlanta Marriot Marquis. Most programming is in the Hyatt, while the dealers and art show are in the Marriot. Staying in either of these hotels guarantees you?re close to the action. They are connected by a big tube, so if you try real hard, you can spend the entire weekend indoors. (I'd advise against that - at least go to the pool deck)

Being close has it?s price. Both hotels run $148 a night, can be chaotic and loud, and may well be sold out at this point. Never fear! The website has a list of alternate hotels, many with a convention rate, and most within walking distance. My first year, I stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was just fine, only a few blocks away. You shouldn?t have trouble getting a room at a nearby hotel even close to the date ? though if you think you might go, make your reservations now. You can always cancel. (I did hear rumors that the Marriot was charging people?s credit cards way in advance last year, I don?t know if this is true or not.)

The other big expense is registering for the convention. At the door, memberships are $75. If you preregister by July 15, the price of admission is $60. I cannot emphasize this enough ? if you know you are going to attend, preregister. Let me say it again. Preregister. The line to pick up your badge is bad enough on Friday when you?ve pre-reg?d. I cannot even imagine how long it will take if you don?t. Do not count on one day passes. They will only sell them if they have not sold out the convention. With 20,000+ people in attendance, don?t count on them.

That?s all for now. Later on, I?ll post directions to the cheap ?beverage? store where you can buy beverages (water, soda, etc) and a cheapo styrofoam cooler. I?ll also look for links to a convention survival guide I?ve seen floating around, which has handy tips.

2. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Here is a link to info regarding the SW track. They already have the programming schedule up.

3. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I can't wait. ;-;

I need to get started on Hannah though! >_<

4. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm getting sewing this weekend. I learned last year - make plenty of time to do the costumes.

5. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    I'd start now... if I had a clue what to go as!

6. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Just a friendly bump to remind folks that the next pre-reg deadline is tomorrow!

7. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Yes, pre-reg now!!! I did last week, as did TK. :)

Also, I have info on the FF dinner, if anyone is interested. I can post it later.

8. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    so the question is should I dress up as Leia still or think of something else?

9. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    You have Hoth Leia, I say go for it. And something else. There's days of fun!!

10. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    well i was thinking of ceremonial Leia. but that might be difficult to do. Bespin Leia would take forever with the intricate detail of the pink dresscoat.

11. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    All I know is I gotta be a pirate. :D

I would have no clue what to be in the realm of Star Wars...

12. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    yeah I think it will be fun to dress as Pirates!!

13. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Han was a pirate... from a certain point-of-view ;)

14. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Arr. So far, I've got one Jedi outfit, plans for a pirate, and I need something else. Sith if I can get my act together.

15. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    cool! you're gonna be a pirate too?? there will be 4 of us dressed as pirates!

arg!

16. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Yes! We need a pirate night! Which night should that be...? Hmm.

17. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    good question. we need to start getting our costumes together.

18. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Yes, I am already looking for ideas on the net and stuff.

Guess I should do some work though... :)

19. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Sunday is nice for a low maintenance costume, on account of you will be very tired by then. Saturday is the masquerade, which will probably have the most people in costume. My vote is for Sunday, I think. Of course, we can decide when we get there.

20. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I just wanted to point out - we arrive in Atlanta one month from today. Whee!!

I found some cute pirate-ish costume patterns this weekend if anyone is ambitious enough to make their own.

21. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    I might have to make my own if I want it to look the way I want it to look. But whether or not I have the time to do that is another story... What are the patterns, Eugenia?

22. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm trying to figure out which ones will need the least modifications - I think I'd modify all of them one way or another. But my front runners are Simplicity 5922 (I'll double check this one- it's kind of gypsy-ish), McCall's 2890 (Halloween trampy pirate, I'd lengthen the skirt so it's less "French Maid") and Butterick 6198.

Gee, I hope these are the right ones. I'm just keeping my eyes open for a pattern sale. Because I have so much free time to make a costume....

23. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    hmmm. maybe I'll make mine too.

24. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    ok I got the pattern tonight for my ceremonial gown! and some sculpey for the accessories. I am excited!

25. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Thanks Eugenia. I am now thinking maybe I will make some of my costume... At least the pants, maybe the shirt too. Depends on how hard they are. I've only sewed like 3 times in my life. :D I still don't know what else I can possibly be for the other days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.