main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DragonCon 2004 thread 2

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by Boba_Fett_of_Nine, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Boba_Fett_of_Nine Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2003
    since the other one was locked due to lack of discussion, I was wondering if anyone still wants to go? Don't have a lot of time so if anyone is gonna do this it needs to planned soon. I was reading that if you buy 4 day passes before may 14th theyre only 60 bucks, before july 15th theyre 75 and after that or at the door theyre 85. Groups of 10 or more get 5 dollars off each of reg membership price. So what does everyone think? I'm saving for C3 and TK armor and may be getting a new job sometime so I am doubtful that I can take that much time off. I was just curious to see who all's going if any...

2. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    I'm still going, but probably a shortened trip. I need to save my daughter's school days off for CIII so that means maybe coming in late on Friday and going home Sunday night to save money.

The four day preregistration is the way to go if money is tight. However, last year, we got in Thurday night and there were so many people in that had preregistered, they closed it at 9pm and we couldn't get our passes. So a day's hotel fee for nothing. Our friends, who were buying at the door passes got right in that night.

So, I guess this year, I'll just bite the bullet and buy them at the door rather than go through that hassle. It ended up the money I saved by pregistering was wasted by the hotel room costs coming up the extra day to get them!
    Janet

3. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Two things are conspiring that I not go to Dragoncon for after two years in a row of going.

1. There is a major network cutover at work scheduled for the same weekend, Labor Day weekend.
    2. Decipher, the gaming company I volunteer for, has chosen not to participate there this year, so I will not be slavedriven doing demos as before.

So, regretfully the 501st will have to bear the torch without me this time. :(

4. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Wow! That's kind of surprising that Decipher wouldn't take part in Dragon*Con. Given the size of that con, you'd think they'd at least have a small presence.

5. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Yes, but Dragoncon seems to be more for LARP'ing, miniature gaming, getting artwork, jewelry, major costuming, scifi-fantasy fan event tracks, and celeb encounters. It's not big on the niche market of cardgaming. Decipher chose Origins, ComicCon, GenCon, and Chicago WizardWorld this year.

6. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    It's been so long since I've been, I wouldn't have a clue what the big "thing" is now. Last time I was there, Magic the Gathering and Space Ghost: Coast to Coast were the new hot "things." [face_plain]

7. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Tangible TCG gaming that's hot currently would still be Magic the Gathering and Yugioh, while in gaming miniatures, I'd have to say Mechwarrior and Heros Clix are top dogs.

Biggest draw for fan related activity last year at Dragoncon was Buffy the Vampire Slayer's James Marsten (Spike) who probably drew the biggest single crowd. However they are not on this season. It will be hard to say what's over the top currently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.