Calgary DragonCon Countdown

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BFett333, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Only 70 days left! 69 until we leave! WOOT!

I thought maybe we should start figuring out some stuff - I know there has been talk of some joint costume wearing - like the Harry Potter stuff.

2. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    *puts one hand on chest, other arm outstretched*

'69 DUDES! '

Hehe. . .I make my own fun. Seriously though, it's gonna rock on toast. :D

~Dooks the Elder.
  3. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehehehe....it sounded right in my head....then again, so did using a chair for a step stool.....8-}
  4. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    StacyD....did you end up finding a roomie? We might have a lone Badlander so I'm just wondering if I should put you two in touch. I'm sure that Shaun is likely not going to want to pay full fare on his own.
  5. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey BFett. Yes, the position has been filled. Sorry, I should've mentioned it on my post.

Cheers,

~Dooks the Elder.
  6. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    No problem at all! Just thought I'd check it out for him.
  7. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    I check the DragonCon website almost daily!!

Did you see that they've added Nicolas Brendon (Xander from Buffy), George Takei (Sulu), Katie Leung (Cho Chang from HP), Matthew Lewis (Neville from HP) and of course our own Peter Mayhew. Yay!

But man, I have 3 costumes 'due' before D*C. Must focus!

Jen
  8. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    I wish they'd come out with the dang schedule!

Are there any Fan Force "parties" scheduled that you guys know about? The 501st mixer is on Friday night apparently. At C3 it was also attended by the RL and the FF. I'm hoping it's the same at DC so we can all be together.

9. LEXIAL Jedi Knight

star 2
    I can't wait either! i did see the guest list...it is awsome. So many great stars will be there! I am bouncing off the walls...whohoo! It would be nice if they put the schedule so we could plan around it. Angela did you find out about the parade info? Is anyone else going into it?
  10. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Uhhh....a little bit. Actually if you go to the DragonCon website there is a little bit of information about the parade there and the link to join the Yahoo Group.

You'll have to register as a group if you all want to be in it. There MAY already be a Fan Force group registered so you might want to check that out too. Not a bad idea either to bring a Canadian flag of some kind or perhaps a Tosche Station banner.

I'll let you know more as I find it out!
  11. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Lexi - I joined the Rebel Legion pretty much just so I had a group I could join the parade with. It didn't take long (they processed mine in less than 2 days), and I bet your costume would pass muster. Then you can follow the parade organization thread on their forum. I'm still deciding whether I want to parade as a Jedi or find a Tolkien group and wear the Orc.

In general, I've found that I had to join several yahoo groups, etc from each programming thread to get any idea what the schedule will be like. Some of the tracks have their schedules pretty well worked out and online - like the Buffy , X-Track, Tolkien and Costuming tracks. Others have less info - Young Adult (HP) and American Sci Fi (Battlestar Galactica, etc), for example. For the Star Wars track there's some information if you follow the whole yahoo group list, but the website is still forthcoming.

Jen
  12. LEXIAL Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks Magpiejen..I will check it out. I am not sure if I would do regular jedi or the other for the walk. Guess I better make a decision.
  13. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    I too am signed up with the Rebel Legion, mainly to march in parades at events like this.

Their message boards are filled with useful information on DragonCon and Celebration.

14. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Lexial - you can submit more than one costume to the Rebel Legion - and if they all pass then you won't need to make the decision quite yet :)

Jen
  15. LEXIAL Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks..yes the rebel legion was the site I was thinking of but could not remember the name of. I have submitted my costumes...it is great you can keep adding as well.
  16. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey Lexi - noticed that your Luminara is up on the RL pages now - great!

I was thinking about the parade yesterday. We could submit the "Calgary Science Fiction and Fantasy Society" as a group for the parade to the organizers. Then all Calgarians (at least those who are going to Con-version this summer and therefore have their memberships) could march, regardless of whether they belong to a specific costuming group or whatever. Or some other "catch-all" sort of group.

Jen
  17. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    I've just heard there is a Moulin Rouge night as well.....gawd! Costuming insanity!!

Lexi - congrats on getting your pics up on the RL!

18. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    It looks like Saturday Night in the Consuite will be a Wake for Wash. (Serenity)

I have to go to that in my hawaiian shirt and black armband. *tear*

It may be odd because Alan will be at the convention and could attend a wake for a fictional character he portrayed. *mind boggle*
  19. LEXIAL Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey Magpiejen...I guess we could make our own group for costuming, do we want it to cover all sci-fi though or stick with SW as most people SW stuff?
  20. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh my.....now I've been asked to be a Judge at the costume contest at DC. :eek:
  21. PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Sounds like your going to be really busy there.
  22. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Cool - which one? The big one? The SW one? The workmanship one? :)

Jen
  23. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    The big one....Ummmm....yeah...I'm pretty sure about that.
  24. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    I know that Michelle is planning on bringing her armor down. Sarah...are you going to DC? If so, are you bringing your gear?

I spoke briefly to Michelle about this before, But I'll be making arm band thingies for those of us from Badlands in the parade or for when you're wearing your gear around. Or...because the two of you are Stormies, we could do pauldons, I have a pattern for those.

The plan is to have the Badlands patch, your TK # and if you want, your name or nickname on them. Let me know if either of you ladies would like one. I'll need to get them done asap. I have an embroidery machine so it won't be a problem. I'll go with a black background and white lettering for visibility, but could change colours if you think another would look better.

I also have Erin designing a Badlands Convention Badge. Erin and I noticed that some of the Garrisons had these last year. It'll be lamenated and worn on the same lanyard that your DC Convention Badge is on.

Can either of you think of anything else we can do up?
  25. SithatHeart Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hmm... Ang is judging the Costume Contest? Sweet! Do we bribe you now or later? [face_whistling]

I would love a Badlands Pauldron or whatever you think is best to identify our group. Let me know how much!

Cheers,
    M.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.