main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dragoncon fanforce table

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by motf-jan, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Hi guys,
    With recent events in Florida and is SC/NC, I"m sure some of our FanForce members were affected one way or another by Bonnie and Charley. I was wondering if there would be an interest in having a raffle at the DC Fanforce table selling tickets Friday/Saturday with a drawing Saturday afternoon before leaving for the dinner. All the money raised could go to the Red Cross to help the hurricane victims.

If we could get all of our members coming to donate a unique Star Wars collectible that could be put in a big basket, the winner could get everything in the basket as the prize? Tickets could be as low as $1 and I think you'd get alot of takers. I know I have plenty of doubles in my collection I could donate for the cause.

Raffle tickets can be purchased from Target, party stores, etc for about $3-$4 for 1-2 thousand. A big tub or laundry basket could be picked up from the dollar store to put the items in?

What do you guys think, would there be an interest? If so, I'll rally my troops here in Charleston to gather up some items to bring. Unfortunately I won't be in till late Friday evening, but can bring the stuff by early Saturday Morning.

Janet

2. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    I think it is a great idea. However, I would HIGHLY recommend contacting the DragonCon Fan Table coordinator on this. They have strict policies on selling anything at the tables to avoid problems with the dealers. The general rule is that anything being sold has to have the club logo on it or be club merchandise. Not sure where charities fall into that. Doesn't mean they'll say no, but I just think we should contact them to make sure it's all good.

Second, as we are collecting money for a charity, we MUST contact said charity and get their permission. If not, it could cause legal problems. I'm sure the Red Cross would be more than willing to take our donation, but I would hate to see any problems. And, not to say it wouldn't happen, but I would hate to see anyone mis-representing.

3. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    I know DC doesn't care especially if it is a raffle only. The Alabama Fan Fanforce had one last year for the poster plus they were selling candy, tshirts and such. Red Cross shouldn"t be a problem as long as ALL the proceeds go to the charity. The only time you have trouble is if you only give a percentage, etc. But, someone locally could contact them, they might want to give some flyers,etc to hand out.

As far as Dragoncon is concerned, you just need proper signage that this is a raffle for the Bonnie/Charley victims and ALL the money is going to the American Red Cross. You may even be able to get a Red Cross Rep to meet at the Marriott during the drawing and you can turn over the money right there along with the proper pictures and such.

Unfortunately, it has to be a local to organize this. I can rally people in the Carolinas to bring stuff for the basket.

Janet

4. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I'd offer to organize the charity, but I'm swamped just trying to get the dinner, the table volunteers, and other stuff organized.

I'm more than happy to let someone else take the lead on this idea, if anyone has any free time to do so. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.