main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary DragonCon heads up

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BFett333, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    Erin and I got a little heads up from a travel agent about our flights. We were told that because it is a long weekend, not only will the fares be increasing steadily (which they have been since Erin's been watching), but it will also be more difficult to find a flight. Of course......we're just going on this persons advice....but I can tell you that we just booked our flights and between last night and this morning one of the flights we were on tentatively was filled and we were "bumped" to an earlier flight leaving Atlanta. When I picked our seats I noticed that the flights we are on were at least half full already.

Erin and I are now fully booked.....passes, hotel and air. Can't wait to go!!

2. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    See you guys there! Veritate and I are booked too!

3. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Oooooooo goodie!!! What hotel are you guys in? We're at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis.

Listen....if you guys hear about any good functions etc. that you'll be attending, let us know so we can get tickets. I've heard one evening there is a huge costume ball......can't wait!!!

4. SithatHeart

SithatHeart Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I'm booked too - if anyone is still looking for airfare, try expedia or travelocity. I got my tickets for $450 (return).

Ang - we've booked the Marriott too.

5. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Yes....cheaper to fly from Calgary.....Drats. We were going to fly from Calgary....but the thought of having to drive 3 hours after that long day of flying......~shudder~ No thanks..... :p

6. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Awesome news about the hotel too, Michelle!

7. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Ang, I'm THRILLED to hear that you and Erin are coming to D*Con!!! It's going to be SUCH a BLAST!

8. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Are you guys taking costumes down with you? Erin and I are taking a bunch.

9. veritate

Oct 25, 2004
    You bet your shiny metal a$$, we're bringing costumes down! If there's ANY place (besides Costume Con, of couse) to do that, it's D*Con.

We're still planning which ones, though. I'm bringing my Jedi, of course, and (fingers crossed) I'd like to have my Barriss one done - I know you guys are working on those, too. We'll have to coordinate that, so we don't wear them on the same days if you're bringing yours. Perhaps Death Eaters from the Harry Potter premiere night? (Photos here: Goblet of Fire Premiere Thread)

We'll have to see how much I get done between now and then, because I'm rattling other ideas around in my head, but have no idea how I'd do them.

10. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Erin and I are totally taking down our HP gear!! Sweet! We'll definitely have to plan out when we wear all of that.

As for Barriss......nah....I say we do it at the same time! Chances are there will be others as well so why not!

I haven't decided which 501st gear I'm taking....but at least one. Likely two. And Erin and I are doing the Sith Cheerleader thing one night. I have a big Queen of Hearts gown partially done that I'll be taking for the costume ball. And then there's a secret outfit that Erin and I are working on with a 501st friend from the States that will be for the 501st party. Usually that's a combined 501st/Fan Force party so keep your eyes open for tickets. It was the BEST last year at C3.

I have to come up with something for the day that Erin wears her Harley Quinn costume.....I'm thinking Poison Ivy. But that could change.

11. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Just wondering how many folks from Alberta are going?. My brother went last year and is trying to get me too go this year but I'm still undecided. Michelle thanks for the heads up on the flight info too may help in my decision.

12. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    We've got 3 completely book Badlanders....and 2 that just need to get their flight. At least 5 Badlanders.

13. SithatHeart

SithatHeart Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Hey Ang - How are you getting your 501 gear down? I'm not so keen on tossing it into a suitcase and crossing my fingers. Any advice?

M.

14. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    That's a bit up in the air...and mostly why I haven't decided what I'm taking yet. For C3 I had a second suitcase with my Fett gear in it and took my helmet as carry on. It was awful. Not only was it horribly ackward having the second suitcase (thanks to Danny who carted it around lots for me) but also it was the last suitcase off the plane and I nearly had heart failure.

Apparently lots of the 501st guys in the States Fed Ex their gear to Cons all the time. Just send it right to their hotel. This might be the better option. I'll look in to it and let you know.

15. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    Any tips on getting blasters, lightsabers, staffs or other props across the border?

16. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Yeah....that's a tough one as well. I went without my EE-3 to C3 and felt....errm....naked. However, I understand if you describe it as a "prop replica" and then have a picture of you in your gear holding it right on top of the gear it helps. Never refer to it as a weapon.....even as "prop replica weapon".

All of this stresses me out........I hope we can find a sound solution for all of us.

I'm sure talk about all of this will start soon on the 501st forum so I'll let you guys know if I hear about anything.

17. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    I once had a clueless ground attendent try to convince me I could bring my 'prop replica' sword as carry-on. I was trying to convince her there was no way I was getting a sword through security - I saw what they did when they found a water gun on some guy once.

Having a picture of yourself in costume is a good idea - I hadn't thought of that before! I do remember the confusion on the border guard's face when he opened a rubbermaid full of wigs, chainmail, latex prosthetics, etc on our way to some other con. One does not want to confuse a border guard! (It ended up alright).

So, husband and I booked our flights last night - same flights as veritate and DrHaggis in fact :) and all is hopefully booked now.

I am putting off costume planning until I get a better sense of the programming streams and special events. But Star Wars (Jedi, various Padmes), LOTR (bad guys, various ladies, hobbits), Firefly Browncoat and Harry Potter (Death Eaters) all options. I also have a Titanic gown and a Regency era gown that I was sorta wondering about bringing for the Regency Ball.

Very excited!
    Jen

18. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    (no message)

19. veritate

Oct 25, 2004
    Hooray! MagpieJen & Dr. Smith are flying to D*Con with us! Oh, it's going to be so much FUN!

Jen - I'll bring my Regency gown if you'll bring yours! And I had forgotten about Firefly costumes. I could have a Kaylee costume done in no time.

Yay! Can't wait.

20. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    I just thought of another dang costume that I want to do for this......geesh......more making....less thinking about more to make....LOL

21. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    I was just looking a the D*Con site. Check out the costume track blurb:

This year we have bigger and better things planned for the Dragon*Con 2006 Costume Track. We received many suggestions and have decided to implement as many as we can, but as always I am still looking for more items to fill the roster. Among the items we have planned are a series of panels on F/X makeup including panels on contact lenses and dental appliances. We are looking into people to contribute to these panels and will bring you more information as time goes by. We will again have SPAT on hand for more stories and situations from the SPAT*Cave and the world on independent film costuming. Additionally, we are planning panels to discuss Star Trek, Star Wars, and Harry Potter costuming in addition to a panel that allows us to share with you some of our past mistakes. We also have some panels planned to discuss fantasy, Renaissance, and Pirate costuming. And we will again be bringing you the 2006 ?Girls of the SPAT*Cave? Contest. This was such a grand success last year that we have decided to make it an ongoing project. Please contact me if you are interested in joining the panel staff or want to participate in the panels or the contest. Remember??..we ONLY have 10 months left?..so much to do.

And...there is a D*Con parade. Hopefully it's not at the same time as the 501st one!

22. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    i'm so jealous, i wish i was going :(

23. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    I wish you were going too, Liann! You could camp out with Erin and I. We'd have soooo much fun!

24. veritate

Oct 25, 2004
    I would have loved for you to have joined us, Liann! We'll just have to think about going again, next year!

25. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    yes next year hopefully :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.