1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest.

New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Art Archive Drawing advice, tutorials, etc.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Senator_Cilghal, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Senator_Cilghal Force Ghost

star 5
    HanSolo29 invited me to start a thread on this;)

Quite frankly, I can't draw worth a flip. I have NO natural talent. Still, I like to doodle, and I have always wanted to improve my drawing skills (which would not take much). I especially would like to be able to draw characters, creatures, and vehicles for the RPG games I GM and for my articles on SW fanon wiki.

This thread is for all of you who have some talent to give advice, lessons, etc. to the rest of us.

My first request would be how to draw a humanoid. Any hints on proportions, symmetry, technique, etc. appreciated. I especially find the FACE to be hard, though also have trouble with digits...making hands and the fingers on them all work out seems beyond me.

2. GIMER Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Faces have proportions to them.

Draw a circle.

Draw a vertical line up the middle.
    Draw a horizontal line across the middle.
    So you should have a circle divided into 4 equal parts.

Draw the eyes on top of the horizontal line.
    Draw the ears at the sides of this line.

Draw a line halfway between the 'equator' line and the bottom of the circle.
    This is where the bottom of the nose will be.

Draw another line halfway between that line and the bottom of the circle.
    This is where the mouth will be.
  3. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    GIMER brings up something that is an excellent tool for beginners. You can even divide things up further to show how wide the nose should be and how big certain features like the ears and eyes should be. I made up a diagram years ago highlighting this method. If you want, I can hunt it down and scan it in for you to take a look at.

4. GIMER Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That was all I could remember about the dividing. I know you can get more and more detailed about it.
    That's the part that I still use though. The basics.

http://noroomformagic.keenspot.com/d/20081203.html
    Here is an example of a cartoonist who isn't removing his guidelines that he made for the proper perspective of the faces.
    I thought you might find it interesting to see.
  5. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    Cool, must try a comic figure once...
  6. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    interesting discussion :)

there was this really good book that really helped me called 'how to draw manga - bodies and anatomy'. Its good as it has instructions and muscles are lightly defined and very easy to see the positioning of. It help me so much so I recommend [face_mischief]

it is also good idea to read lots of comics, they have wide variety of poses. I find the more I read the better proportions get in my art. I guess you get used to seeing proportions and they stay in memory :)
  7. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Although comics are a good way to study the human figure and come away with a lot of interesting poses, there are plenty of things to be aware of before you base everything around the images you see in the pages.

The most important thing to remember is that the figures in comics and manga are very stylized. It's not how the figure would appear in real life and I would recommend looking at actual anatomy books before using the comics to learn proportions. FalconFan recommended a book to me a while ago that was very thorough with its explanation and provided a lot of great images. I've since went out and bought it for myself. Try looking up Dynamic Figure Drawing by Burne Hogarth.
  8. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I actually have that book lol :)
    You're probably right about the figures.
    Though I use the manga book more because I find it easier to understand.
    I do life drawing at college, I think (hope:p) I'm getting better [face_mischief]
  9. GIMER Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I took a fashion design class too as part of my college courses.
    Talk about distortion.
    Models there get drawn as about 11 heads high instead of 7, if I remember right.
  10. Sachiko-chan Jedi Knight

Drawing books are all well and good but the most important thing is PRACTICE!

You can't learn by "osmosis", you gotta put the theory in the drawing books into practice too :p

It depend also on what style you would like to draw in. Manga style is not exactly the same as american comic book styles. Doing a realistic style is again different.

I started learning to draw by producing copies of my favourite manga images. I would then scan them and match them up to the original to see whether I've done it right. Then I started doing portraits in a realistic style.. So I guess I'm a little bipolar :p I'm still learning though, no way am an expert.

Take a trip down to your local library and look at the drawing books.
    Or go to your local bookstore, if the books are wrapped you should ask the counter-staff to see inside. I've come across books that look VERY promising on the cover but lack impact inside and are a waste of money :p

There's also a star wars drawing book if I'm not wrong, something like: You can draw Star Wars.. I wanna buy that... it has a drawing of Maul's nakie booty! *AHEM...* For uhmmmm.. scientific study of course :p
  11. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    11 heads instead of 7? Oh wow. Yea, that's way off. :p

Exactly. Practice and getting out there and actually drawing the figure over and over is the only way you're gonna get better. There's no cutting corners with that.

But they are all still connected. To be able to draw the stylized figures you see in manga and comic books, you need a clear understanding of the actual human figure first. You need to know how to make it work realistically before putting that extra twist on it. You need a solid base before building upon your skills.
  12. GIMER Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Here's an article about Fashion Design style.
    http://fashion-design-drawing.com/index.html

It also has some things about proportions too here:
    http://fashion-design-drawing.com/Child-Figure-Proportion-Part-3.html

this page has some good examples of what the drawings end up like:
    http://www.fashiontechniques.com/fashion-book.htm
  13. Sachiko-chan Jedi Knight

Agreed :D One must have an idea of body proportions.. How long are the arms, the legs, the torso etc... And from there, how the figure looks when it bends, e.g. sideways, backwards, forwards etc..

Manga tends to have lanky and slender body types, comic books favour more muscular frames. But you're right that the basic idea of proportion is the same although the styles look different on the page :p
  14. Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    11 heads instead of 7? Oh wow. Yea, that's way off.

True... but I read manga with those proportions, it should look wrong, but it doesn't. check CLAMP and see yourself ;) legs about 2/3 of the body !

Artist has to have experience to make something like that look right I think ;)
  15. Sachiko-chan Jedi Knight

CLAMP art is quite stylised even within the manga community, it's possible to spot a CLAMP work just by the cover art lol..

Actually the works of individual artists are also sometimes very recognisable. Sometimes to the point where their characters kinda look the same lol... E.g. like Kazuya Minekura and Yuu Watase..

By the way, Senator Clighal, have you checked out some of these human anatomy tutorials at Deviantart, submitted by users, this the link to the more popular ones:

http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=resources/tutorials/tradart/drawing/anatomy&order=9

There's more of course in other disciplines besides traditional art, maybe you can try browsing the main tutorial section...
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.