main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dreadlocks

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Vaderkahn, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderkahn

Vaderkahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    I'm working on a sith costume for DragonCon, and the last thing I need to make it look right is some "Predator" style dreadlocks. I'm making the 'locks from shiny black PVC tubing capped with (believe it or not) metal cake decorating tips so it looks more like "cyber hair". The problem is, I'm trying to figure out how to mount the tubing to some sort of helmet. I'm using a modified paintball mask as the primary base for the look, but I'm thinking a black skateboard helmet might function as a base for the dreadlocks?

Has anyone here made Predator 'locks and might know any potential pitfalls in attaching to a helmet? Or would trying to do a latex headcast be better for this sort of thing? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    There is a type of insulation foam "noodles" that is often used for Predator dreadlocks. (NOT pipe insulation, the ones I am thinking of are not hollow). More flexible and lighter than PVC, I think.

3. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    King Jamie,you seek King Jamie.

http://www.kingjamie.com

that site will give you some great ideas,

for the pred dreads you need to use "polyfoam rope" search for it online.the 1 inch size is great for the pred dreads.

yep,i got a pred costume too........

4. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I'd probably sew the pieces to something slide it in hole in the helmet, then super glue them there or something along those lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.