main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dreadnaughts in Thrawn Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedi_samuel, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think the assertion that Zahn gave those numbers to be difficult is, at best, idiotic. Using examples of people moving a ship from A to B as evidence is also silly.

Each of the gun emplacements has a gun crew. The reactors that power the ship have engineers to manage them. If there's any craft that leave a capital ship for any reason, they need deck officers, crews and the like to maintain them. There's also marines or similar armed troops, etc etc.

Just because terrible, awful media like ROTS show Anakin landing a ship which previously had more than half a dozen droids crewing doesn't mean anything.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly, it is one thing to fly a ship with minimal crew, but it is another thing entirely to run a ship with optimum efficiency.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Pretty sure any of us could get a Nimitz class carrier under power and change course. Pretty sure none of us could do this, navigate effectively, man the radar and point defense weaponry, monitor the engines, etc etc.

BUT ZAHN LIEK HAETED HIS CHARACTERS THE SMRT CLOEN WRAS SHOWED US YOU JUST NEED A JEDI AND A ARTOO TO DO ITS.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm not sure Rebels could do justice to the Dreadnaught, TCW couldn't even match up with the RotS ships, much less an EU ship. Or rather they don't care. The Headhunter turned out okay, but I'm not that optimistic a person.

I always liked the Dreadnaught design, as one of those relatively normal warships you could expect in the OT era, but wasn't as powerful as a Star Destroyer and was a distinct design too.

I don't mind Han's stunt, the Katana fleet's remote control was a major part of the legend, and flying a ship isn't that hard. Anakin's stunt in TCW was basically flying a giant battering ram, nothing else. He didn't need to fire weapons, repair anything, refuel starfighters, anything.

Most Enterprises usually have a lot of science and security personnel too, since they're meant to be exploration ships, not frontline warships. No idea how the mass/tonnage compares. Not to mention their tech being more advanced in some ways, and you still see plenty of people running around their engineering departments.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the difference between the number of people needed to make a ship move in an emergency and the number of people needed to effectively and safely crew a warship is incredibly vast. You need all those people and more to fulfill all kinds of different roles, just a vast array of specialties. Janitors, multiple different kinds of mechanics, people running subsidiary systems, quartermasters, clerks, cooks, barbers (warships are not designed to have to stop at port every week for you to get your hair cut), security personnel, cargo handlers, IT support, intelligence personnel, firefighters, doctors and nurses, a bomb squad, air-traffic controllers, HR personnel.

And then you need at least one, if not two, more shifts of all the same people over again.

It's a mobile, self-sufficient city that has to run 24/7. You don't crew that with fifty-seven people.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  7. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    "Hey baby. Look at that floor. Just look at it. Yeah, I did that."

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Really, though, you have to put your mind to a more fantasy-themed mindset. Ships of the Line were very crew intensive and that's I believe the timeperiod Zahn's going for.

9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Why would anyone complain about an author making things too difficult for their characters? Isn't that his/her job???

Zeta1127 and Havac like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I always liked the idea of naval combat in SW being some sort of high tech age of sail. In all likelihood that's probably the Old Republic style of things, with the emphasis on fighters and mobility of the GCW shifting over to WWII style. VSDs and VNSDs start becoming more hybridized and ISDs basically complete the evolution to carrier-battleship-siege platform.

So the DREADs as relics of a romantic bygone age is basically perfect. They exist for the sole purpose of blowing up other capital ships.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

DarthJaceus, Sarge, Gorefiend and 5 others like this.
  11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

Let us not forget, Anakin was crash landing half of the Invisible Hand. He wasn't doing anything but trying to put it down and keep them alive. That thing was in no need of a full crew to do that. And better depicted in ROTS than say... ANH with the turbolasers being fired on the DS... is the logistics of turbolasers on board both Seperatist and Republic ships. Both had at least 4 or 5 crewers, firing, loading etc the guns. We never saw shell casing ejected from a turbolaser before ROTS.

I like that Anakin crash landing the Invisible Hand gives you a decent idea of Luke crash landing that Star Destroyer on Coruscant just before Dark Empire starts, too.

DarthJaceus and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    But if our heroes don't skate to an effortless, straightforward victory over incompetent idiots, it's monumentally depressing and totally contrived!

13. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Everyone forgets about Mot the Barber. The REAL hero of the Enterprise crew.

[​IMG]
    You think Worf could keep his hair looking this good without a professional's help? Think again.

jSarek, Darth_Garak and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  14. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    IIRC...the crew size was derived from the West End Games Imperial Sourcebook....I also think that is where a lot of the info writers were using came from.

When we look at what came later with crew sizes in the Acclamator and Venator the Dreadnaught is way over the numbers for ships from the same timeframe. I would think the Dreadnaught would realistically have a crew of around 1000-1500

15. jedi_samuel

jedi_samuel Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    That's one thing I was wondering, whether Zahn created those numbers or quoted earlier numbers.

16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    As a rule of thumb, Zahn was told to use WEG numbers. In his own words:
    He also mentioned the Dreadnoughts specifically:
    (The source of thoses statements is the 20th anniversary edition of Heir to the Empire.)

DarthJaceus, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  17. jedi_samuel

Apr 25, 2014
    I guess I'm idiotic at best then.

Just so you know, I never said that I expected one person to crew a whole ship, although I suppose that could have been accidentally implied in my second post. Realistically I would have expected a number closer to a few hundred or a few thousand. 16,000 seemed a bit much -- 2,000 as a heavily modified version seemed a lot to me as well for it being such a big deal.

18. jedi_samuel

Apr 25, 2014
    Very cool, thanks!

19. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I tend to glaze over numbers debates, so I don't have a frame of reference for equivalent crews, but could the amount of automation we'd expect today versus in 1991 change what's considered a reasonable figure between then and now?

Or going back to IU, maybe it's because the Dreadnaughts were so overcrewed that they were chosen as testbeds for the Katana slave circuits. Fix the problem ships first, in other words.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That's exactly what Talon Karrde says in the novel: "The Dreadnaughts of that era in particular were ridiculously crew-intensive ships, requiring upwards of sixteen thousand men each. The full-rig slave circuitry on the Katana ships cut that complement down to around two thousand." (Emphasis is mine.)

21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    A modern Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, not even counting the flight personnel, has a crew of over 3,000. And it's less than half the size of a Dreadnaught. The Dreadnaughts were supposed to be unusually crew-intensive, but a ship of that size realistically could have a crew of 10,000 without its being at all surprising. Crewing levels under 3,000 for a medium-sized Star Wars capital ship would be unrealistically low without making it up with a significant droid complement.

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    But comparing SW spaceships with real life naval vessels, wouldn't there be a huge droid complement anyway? Numbers wouldn't have been as high before the PT era, but even then you had droid medics, droid protocol/"organisational" units, droid navigators/mechanics... computer interfaces that apparently were installed just for droids.

23. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    There were four ships I really wanted to see in the prequel era - Dreadnaughts, Victory-class Star Destroyers, Z-95 Headhunters, and Y-wings. (Cloakshape fighters would've been a bonus).

I've got my issues with TCW, but I squeed just the same when it gave us Headhunters and Y-wings.

DarthJaceus, jSarek, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Droids could get you so far, but we tend not to see them much, and probably for the reason that they're not really trusted that much. Like any other machinery, you've got to repair them and have someone making sure the work they're doing is actually done correctly; it all comes back to human supervision.

I'm sure they're there, and they help cut down on crewing requirements some, but one of the recurring facts of the universe is that droids aren't used nearly as often as you'd think, and it's not hard to come up with reasons for that IU.

Though I will say that I'm not convinced that the "crew" numbers we're given couldn't include droids. The ship needs this many janitors; they could be humans or they could be droids. But the reason I singled out droids there is that if the numbers are too low, it's unrealistic unless there are a lot of droids you're not counting. But if you want to make the case that a Star Destroyer's 37,000 crew includes the cargo droids and nurse droids and janitor droids replacing human personnel, I'd be open to that.

Valin__Kenobi, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Incredible Vehicles - we got droid-crewed ships, with extremely low crew numbers anyway - even when it was clear that droids were included.