main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dream book?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJaceus, Dec 30, 2016.

1. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    So. If you guys, in some alternate reality, could have any kind of Star Wars book you want; what would it be? Legends? Canon? Reference book? Novel?

Now that Star Wars Legends is basically complete, I was thinking an Ultimate Chronology - now that Legacy is finished, along with Dawn of the Jedi - we could have a chronology that is complete as possible. From the beginning to the end, with character profiles for prominent people - Kyp Durron, Palpatine, Lando Calrissian, Mace Windu, etc.

So many cool possibilities.

Thoughts?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Reference book-wise - something like Janes Fighting Ships, for Star Wars ships. High-detail descriptions, that elaborate on their history in service as well (when the first ship of the class was commissioned, what their role in the fleet was - when they started being phased out, etc.

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    A reference book about the Western Reaches campaign, detailing every battle in terms of how many ships/troops were deployed, losses incurred, etc. Every so often include memoir entries or interview quotes from the officers, pilots, soldiers. cowritten by Jason Fry and Alexander Freed. Filoni then makes a extremely faithful television series adaptation.

Also, a book focusing on the Imperial civilian government- the ruling council, the Imperial Senate. Sate Pestage is Grand Vizier but Amedda still has an important role. Lots of chapters at Imperial functions so we get a lot of drama with the courtiers. Multiple Palpatine POV chapters. Janus Greejatus is a must-have main character. written by Luceno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Coruscant Social Register: Your Guide to High Society and the Imperial Court, with illustrations, vignettes, and stories.

Probably in the same series as the Jedi Path and the Imperial Handbook, so it includes goodies and comes in a special case.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    An IU reference book (set in, say, 10,000 ABY) that examined various Star Wars stories, EU and NU alike, from a perspective that treated them as belonging to different cycles of the same mythos.

6. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    At the top of my head I can think only of a Phasma comic book or novel, and I'd like to see how the new canon handles the old eras thousands of years before the movies.

corinthia and DarthJaceus like this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Interesting, a far future look back, yo could have both Legends and canon be seen as differing interpretations of of the same history.

My dream book-hmmm a Legends grand finale in which every plot thread is resolved, the Jedi Sith conflict ended, the Galaxy unified, the skywalkers achieving peace, and a new era of "exploration and good will between beings".

DarthJaceus and Riven_JTAC like this.
  8. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    My pick would be "Dark Empire" by Matthew Stover

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

9. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    I would like a book about droids trying to feel the force. Triple Zero would definitely be involved.

10. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I want a duology or trilogy about Anakin and Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars. There's a four month gap between AOTC and the Clone Wars movie. That's enough room for a novel or two. It could deal with the immediate aftermath of Geonosis and show Anakin's final days as a Padawan. The book(s) could also introduce Asajj Ventress since they met before Christophsis. I'd like two books so they can have a larger campaign that could lead directly into the movie and the more Anakin and Obi-Wan the better. Then there could be a second or third book which leads into ROTS, culminating with the siege of Mandalor.

11. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    The first book could also show the galaxy's introduction Grievous. The malevolence arc is currently his earliest canonical appearance but in that everyone seems to know who he is.

JediKnight75 likes this.
  12. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    True, that would be a good idea, it would give him a proper introduction rather than coming out if nowhere. I'd also like to see Dooku's role during the early war. He could still use more character development. Introducong Greivous and Asajj in a novel could add a lot of weight to the show. Also, they are both really good characters and them having a large role would be a lot of fun. There seems to be a lot of threads between AOTC and TCW that should be covered. I'd say it's more important than leading into ROTS

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If they do it - I'd like them to use the CW miniseries as a starting point, even if they don't recanonize it wholesale. Grievous still taking on Jedi at the Battle of Hypori (after all, Catalyst specifically mentioned it).

14. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016
    I have to agree that a Phasma book or comic series would be awesome.

15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I want a novel just after AOTC as well. How the war started, the first campaigns and so on. Even in the Legends the war starts, and then it's just a backdrop for adventures of the week, with little references to the larger scale stuff. Lead-up to RotS was better since it had Labyrinth of Evil and stories made after RotS was out. AotC never had a Luceno-story pleasure.

So I wish for a Luceno novel about the beginning of the war, the separatists and Dooku. I remember saying this many times before.

16. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Showing Hypori in a novel would be fun. I feel that was the best way to introduce Greivous. Having him take on so many Jedi Masters at once was an effective demonstration of his power. I'd also like the inclusion of the Battle of Muunilinst; maybe not as a major part of the novel but as the opening scenes. I want the major events to be new, but that battle could be a good starting point.

DarthJaceus and Iron_lord like this.
  17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Xim, the Tion and the war with the Hutts. Don't care if it's reference or the backdrop to fiction.

That's just one dream among several, but it would make me happy.

18. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    A book (or, better, a series of books) about Rostek Horn and Hal Horn, CorSec investigators, during Imperial rule. Written by Michael Stackpole.

It would put them at a crossroads between the "Force user" and the "fringe" parts of the Star Wars universe (with them running a police department AND a Jedi Underground Railroad at the same time), but without the main characters actually being Jedi.

It would have a really interesting premise of main characters trying to juggle between the need to maintain law and order, which has to exist in any society, with the need not to be corrupted by the rise of an increasingly oppressive regime. (Unlike in most of Star Wars, this one couldn't be resolved by the main character finally snapping and going "screw this, I'm joining the Rebellion!")

It would act as a window into the stories of a whole host of underworld figures that we've heard about but whose stories in this era we've never covered and really deserve to be told: the glory days of Jorj Car'das, Booster Terrik, and Flirry Vorru, and the rise of Prince Xizor, Talon Karrde, and Mirax Terrik, maybe even with a few cameos by small-time scum like Garris Shrike or Thrackan Sal-Solo. Most of these people are Corellian, so you wouldn't have to stretch the story to include them.

There are plenty of EU stories that I wanted to hear, but that's the one that I really wanted told. Alas, it didn't look likely even before the Great Reset - Stackpole dropped out of the EU after Dark Tide, and even before that, he never gave any hint that he was interested in telling that story.

19. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I'd like an EU novel that definitively ends Luke's story (and acts as somewhat of an actual closing to the EU storyline). Luke dies, and at the end of the novel he gets to be reunited with his wife, son, and father as Force ghosts or something.

In the canon I'd love to see a novel about Light-side Dooku and Qui-gon Jinn. I think that would be fascinating.

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't know about my "dream book", but I think Dooku desperately, desperately NEEDS a book.

21. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    So true. Maybe they should release a few PT era books. Have Luceno write "Dooku" similar to how he wrote Plaguise. Maybe the intro could be him training Qui-gon and then go into their relationship. It could follow this by showing his years as a Jedi Master and some of his early disillusionment with the Jedi Order. The second half could be him joining Palpatine, his role in the Separatist movement. through the Clone Wars. I may actually want such a book just as much as I want some Clone Wars Anakin and Obi-Wan books. Also, they need to do a Padme political novel that focuses on the Separatist crisis into the Clone Wars with maybe an introduction showing her transitioning from Queen to politician. Padme should appear in an Anakin and Obi-Wan book, but she deserves more. Padme should have gotten her own novel by now. She has had far to small of a role in Star Wars

22. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016

You hit it right on the head - this would be freaking awesome!!!

I think some of Count Dooku and Jinn's adventures could use a spotlight too

23. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007

I have never considered this before, and somehow I really REALLY want it right now.

Daneira and mes520 like this.
  24. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Not my dream book but Padme absolutely needs a novel of some sort. I can't believe there isn't a Padme novel by now.

25. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    A Padme novel is my dream book.

LadyZ and DarthJaceus like this.