main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dream book?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJaceus, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Wells James Luceno says he wants to write a Palpatine book post ANH or was it post Empire (I forget) so yeah. Let's do it!

2. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I heard something like that too. Luceno handles politics really well. I hope he gets the chance!

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think the best place for a political Emperor Palpatine book would be pre-ANH, when the Senate still exists. I just really want to know about the Imperial Senate. They had to lie to the Senate in Rogue One and after Leia is captured that one guy says "If word of this gets out it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate." So clearly up until it was dissolved it still served as some sort of check and balance of the Emperor's power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Hopefully such a book would start right after ROTS and cover the span through ANH. This would allow it show the transition from Republic to Empire. We would be able to see Palpatine solidify his hold on the galaxy while slowly preparing to desolve the Senate and deal with rivals. I'd hope for a book like this to cover immediately after ANH so we can see Palpatine dealt with the aftermath of the destruction of Alderaan, dissolution of the Senate, and the loss of the Death Star. I think after that Palpatine would have solidified his hold, without the Senate. I think it would be a good place to conclude the story because it would have brought Palpatine to the height of his power where is suspect he would have ceased to have rivals. The time span would be 19 years but Plaguise and Lost Stars could cover a similar to longer time span effectively. I think it would work well for Palpatine because his plans were very long term and do we'd be able to get good insight into his plotting and political maneuvering.

DarthJaceus and darklordoftech like this.
  5. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    My dream books: more Clone Wars and early Empire era- with all the well known characters. Sorry I don't want to read about Average Joe trying to find his way in the Universe... And please don't make them young readers book!! It is an easy way for the authors to write about one dimensional evil characters and oversimplyfied situations that way...

6. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I'd love to see a comic mini-series cover the Siege of Mandalore (the unproduced TCW final arc). It could also connect with the Ahsoka novel by showing what happens to Ahsoka. Also they reveal Satine and Bo-Katan's other sister....who marries into the Wren clan (you know where that leads...connections to Rebels). I'd then like a follow up novel that covers what happens to Maul and what happens to Bo-Katan when the Empire takes over Mandalore and the creation of the Protectors.

I'd also love a novel that picks up the day after RotJ and covers the main characters: Han and Leia's relationship, what Luke decides to do, Luke telling Leia about her father's death...and eternal life, Luke offering to train Leia, what Lando does, what Wedge does, and how the galaxy reacts to the Empire's major defeat, etc. Of course there'd be connections to Aftermath and Shattered Empire and other books/comics.

But, if I were to really dream, I'd have to say that it'd be a dream come true if a story idea that I have were to be done that connects TCW/PT to Rebels to the OT to the ST. I just love interconnecting story continuity!

DarthJaceus likes this.
  7. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    It seems like you're only interested in the new canon, but on the off chance this might appeal to you I recommend checking out The Truce at Bakura. It answers a lot of what you're looking for, including Luke still suffering from the effects of being electrocuted and Leia dealing with knowing she's Vader's daughter.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  8. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Daneira, I happen to be an original EU reader. My first EU book: Splinter of the Mind's Eye...back in the late 70's - early 80's, followed by the Han Solo and Lando books. Beginning with Heir to the Empire and Dark Empire, I read just about every EU novel and comic...as they were released! (That includes The Truce at Bakura). Many of my old EU books were even signed by the authors. I mourned the death of my beloved EU, but since then have learned to let go...not completely though. I do still have hope that more "Legends" will be re-canonized as the ST is completed. The Story Group is just waiting for the right time to do so...IMHO.

If you see my "Member Since" date, it's 2000, but in reality it was several years before that, but I lost that date when they moved to new forums. So, I've been around here for a LOOOONG time.

BTW, there are a few EU characters that I'm REALLY hoping they'll re-canonize: Mara Jade, Corran Horn (I even cosplay Corran for the Rebel Legion) and his family. I would have loved to see Jaina, Jacen, Anakin, and Ben Skywalker back, but I think that ship has sailed. And, if they were to ever do a "Final Legends" book that wraps up the end for the EU, I'd most definitely read it.

Lastly, this thread is titled "Dream Book", not "Dream EU Book", so while most posters here have EU stuff, there are a few that have new canon stuff like myself.

DarthJaceus and Daneira like this.
  9. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    To add another "dream book", I hate conflicts in continuity, so I'd love a book that explains/retcons Leia's comments to Luke in RotJ about what she remembers of her "real" mother.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Sorry, I just assume that everyone that's super interested in the new canon is a newer, younger fan who didn't grow up with the EU.

11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

I agree with this. The transitional period where it's still an empire but maintains the trappings of the republic even as they have little real power would seem to be the most interesting era by far in which to set the story (maybe with a little Clone Wars era too). It also makes for a maximum number of players, as on the one hand you have what's left of the Republic's political and corporate elites being whittled away and/or trying to adjust to the new system, and on the other hand the Empire's military and technocratic elites that Palps is slowly giving all the power to.

DarthJaceus and darklordoftech like this.
  12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    You have a point. Stover's gotta catch up. :D

13. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    A canon book about Palpatine, Vader, and Imperial Senator Binks (and maybe a re-canonized Mara Jade) venturing deep into the Unknown Regions and finding things about and maybe even encountering supernatural forces (the Celestials, the Whills etc.) in a Lovecraftian style.

14. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    A book from Nas Choka's POV, after the Vong War would deal with the Vong moving to Zonama Sekot. Maybe a memoir form where he talks about the war, how the Vong got where they were, where their going and so on. He could express his opinions of his superiors, Onimi being the power behind the throne, the military failures of the Vong leadership.

The Memoirs of Nas Choka: Reflections on the Great War.

Anyone interested?

DarthJaceus likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    ^:)^^:)^^:)^^:)^^:)^ You have no idea how much I'd love this! I've always wanted to "see" what was going on on Coruscant during ANH! I wonder how Palpatine explained the destruction of Alderaan and the destruction of the Death Star to the public.

Daneira, DarthJaceus and JediKnight75 like this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

As long as their lots of intrigue and political backstabbing I'm in. I want my House of Cards meets Star Wars meets Palpatine book. It will begin with Palps snapping a puppies neck.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I just realized another book I want. One about Luke being trained by the Force ghost of Anakin and Obi-Wan. If the ghost of Qui-gon could teach Obi-Wan then they can teach Luke. It would be fun to hear their banter as they instruct him. I also think the book would have the potential to be touching.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  18. SithUnleashed

SithUnleashed Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2017
    A novel very similar to EU's "Tales of the Bounty Hunters". Ideally it would follow Boba Fett in his offscreen moments during Empire intersecting the other bounty hunters while on Vader's mission.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    A concise history of the new Sith wars from the fall of Darth Ruin to the last battle of Ruusan.

20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I want a book that bridges the gap between TFU2 and Rogue One. TFU2s ending was one of the biggest loose ends, and remains unexplained, and I really want R1 properly integrated into the EU.

Something else I would like is a book, or even a chronology that establishes the end of Legacy and the immediate future. I'm talking about the fate of the Empire, the galaxy, the Jedi and more. I really want to know the borders of the Alliance, and the Empire, after the war, and their relationship to eachother.

21. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Yes! This.
    Also they need to connect SWTOR to the New Sith Wars. My headcanon is Ruin's Sith Empire was formed from the remnants of the TOR Sith Empire.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What about the interregnum from 3000-2000 BBY?

Anyway it seems like an interesting period, a crazy Sith emerges who basically worships himself. The Sith begin to grow and challenge the Jedi and Republic. The republic loses control of the outer rim. The Jedi have to become chancellors and even barons on various planets to stem the Sith tide. Holonet communications are damaged, candorian plague wipes out large populations of various worlds governmental authority collapses.

The Sith also fight each other. I seem to have read at one point the Sith even were on the way to victory having defeated the republic and Jedi but with Coruscant in sight break into infighting.

Seems really like a dark and cool period. You have people giving up on the force entirely, worlds giving only half hearted defense against Sith armadas, Jedi stemming the tide only by taking the reigns and fighting the Sith in epic battles.

You have desperate beings joining the Sith army and the Sith massing forces of non-force users as fodder. You have Jedi battle meditation users spending long periods of time in Meditation just trying to keep the Sith from completely tipping the balance.

You have refugees fleeing war and plague, the outer rim breaks off and is increasingly lawless.

Honestly this period begs to be explored in depth.

23. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    If anything I'm just dying to see the Republic military during the NSW. Knight Errant shows upgraded capital ship designs from the KotOR era. I like the idea that the technology really stagnated, hence the old ships. I kinda like the Republic military in ToR, and I would love to see how it evolved over a dozen centuries. I would sure like the white armor to become a staple of the Old Republic, making the Clone Trooper armor a successor of sorts. All this would be delivered with New Sith War stories.

spicer likes this.
  24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The Knights of Ren. Who they are, where they came from, etc...

With us knowing that Kylo is actually Ben Solo and that they apparently killed all of Luke's students....I think the cat is out of the bag. And I really don't see them going overly much into back story in Ep VIII and IX.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  25. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    (The Allana/Jaina/Ben thread reminded me of this):

A trilogy or series about Tenel Ka's life as Queen of the Hapes Consortium. With the basic premise being her entry into a decadent deadly court on par with Game Of Thrones, and using her status to try to move the system slowly into something more in line with her Jedi ideals. For those of us who like political intrigue, this would've been all about that, but it would've been about attempts to change the system towards something better, ultimately with a happy ending - in contrast with the many stories like this whose ultimate purpose is just to wallow in it the depravity of the characters without actually having much to say about it (other than a juvenile "wow, politics sucks, eh?") Would also have been a nice way of showing something like the Star Wars prequels but in reverse - instead of taking something that used to be worthwhile and showing its descent into something terrible, taking something that's terrible but showing its reform into something worthwhile.

Daneira likes this.