main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dream Card Balance question

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by katha, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katha

katha Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    My brother created a dream card and when we play tested it it absolutely slaughtered my Space units (I played it against my own Jewel of Saor card and the TCG card Padme's Yacht.)

I think the card is too powerful.. what can be done to fix it?

Title: ISD with TIE Fighters (Darkside)
    Build: 7
    Speed: 30
    Power: 9
    Health: 10
    Text:
    Critical Hit 3 (This unit does 3 more damage if you roll at least on natural six.)

Bombard 3 (This unit may attack a unit in the Ground arena, using 3 power plus any other effects.)

"Sixty turbolasers. sixty ion cannons. ISD and full wing of TIEs all with stealth capabilities."

2. Goo_Child

Goo_Child Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Put a little more on the build cost.

3. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I think the build should be 10 and there should be some kind of negative game text because of the power of the card with the critical hit - something that gives the attacker an edge similar to the death star or greedo or something. Maybe while he has it out he gets one less build points. Something along those lines. I haven't done much with dream cards but I find when wizards makes a powerful card its either hard to get out or there might be a reason why you wouldn't want to build it depending on circumstance.

4. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    how about this:

Build: 10
    Speed: 20
    Power: 10
    Text:
    Critical Hit 3 (This unit does 3 more damage if you roll at least on natural six.)

Bombard 3 (This unit may attack a unit in the Ground arena, using 3 power plus any other effects.)

This card get -1 power for every dmg counter on this unit(to a max of -5)

5. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Text:

"Sixty turbolasers. sixty ion cannons. ISD and full wing of TIEs all with stealth capabilities."

With that much crit hit and bombad you need at least 12 build, otherwise its overdone

6. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    I agree with Protoss72000 and Jedi_Benji... the dream card is woefully unbalanced! It costs 8 build for the 30/7/7 Bombard 3 Imperial Star Destroyer! I don't see how for 1 less build you can justify adding power, health, CH3 and Bombard 3.

If you didn't want to change any of these stats, I would add that the condition that "When the retreat step begins, all of your other Space units must retreat unless those units are a Battle Station". It's either that, or keep the 7 BP, make it's stats just like the current ISD and give it Retaliate 2 for 1 Force... that would imply TIEs are defending it when it's attacked.

Here's how I would really rework it:
    Devastator (B)
    10 Build
    10 Speed
    8 Power
    8 Health

Critical Hit 1
    Bombard 1
    Pay 1 Force --> Retaliate 2

You get a little Bombard, coupled with CH1. Also, you get to Retaliate on the cheap... which will cause those cheap Starfighters some trouble when they attack. Oh, is it obvious that you could now stack it with Devastator (A)?

Now here's a little food for thought... since my unit has Retaliate and Bombard, do you think it could legally Retaliate against an Ion Cannon unit? My opinion is "no" since Retaliate text states is must be a unit in the same arena.

7. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    I think i might add on the devestator myself now...

Devastator (B)
    10 Build
    10 Speed
    8 Power
    8 Health

Critical Hit 1
    Bombard 1
    Pay 1 Force --> Retaliate 2

Well firstly, bombard 1 doenst really help anything, why sacrifice 8 power to have a 50% chance of damaging a single ground unit? i think this is better...

Devastator (B)
    10 Build
    10 Speed
    8 Power
    8 Health

Critical Hit 2
    Pay 3 Force --> Retaliate 3

Picture is...
    [image=http://movieweb.com/movie/starwars/rotj71.jpg]

That way with retaliate 3 you have 50% of getting your crit hit out, and i make it at a cost of 3 force so i didnt have to up the bp.

Now im just gunna wait for someone to come along and trash this...

8. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Text:

With a power of 9, this unit is going to get a Crit Hit 3 almost every turn. And if not every turn, then at least every other turn or so.

If you don't want to increase the build cost, then make them pay force to use the Crit Hit: "Pay 3 Force -> This unit gets Crit Hit 3". Want something more interesting? Try this: "Pay X Force -> This unit gets Crit Hit X (max of 3)".

Another alternative would be to decrease the power down to 4 or 5. That would decrease the chances of rolling a crit hit, anyway.

Here's another thought. Keep the build points at 7, drop the power down to 7 and the health down to 8, drop the Crit Hit, and add this game text:

At the beginning of your build step, spend X build points to add X power and health to this unit (max 4) for the duration of this turn. At the end of this turn, remove up to X damage counters from this unit.

Pay 3 Force -> Critical Hit 3
    Bombard 3

Just some suggestions off the top of my head.....

9. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Either way is good, its the makers choice how to modify it, make sure you let us know if/when he does ;)

10. Stemmi

Stemmi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    okay just out of curiosity whats the best unit in any arena for 4 or under build? i primarilly use swarms and am interested in everyones input.

11. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Elite Jedi Squads, Luxury Airspeeder, the new 1 build TIE, Bravo N1 Starfighters, Stormtrooper Assault Squads, just to name a few, its up to you to playtest and see what works best.

12. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    the droid starfighters with the : +5 power, discard after attack is nice, a swarm of those with tie fighters can rock the space arena

13. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    true, and if you throw in deflectors activated you dont have to discard, and you prevent 1 damage from any of your opponants attacks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.