main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Dreaming of Springtime (Qui-Gon, vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by micky-nikki, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    Title: Dreaming of Springtime
    Characters: Qui-Gon, various plantlife
    Genre: General
    Summary: Qui-Gon enjoys some time to refresh and renew himself.
    Notes: This is just a small something to get my feet wet again. Any and all feedback is very appreciated! Thanks for reading!

@};- Beta'd by DaenaBenjen42. @};-

---)(---)(---

It is difficult to realize how great a part of all that is cheerful and delightful in the recollections of our own life is associated with trees. ~Wilson Flagg

---)(---)(---

The planet Burkelle was in the midst of a delightfully warm spring. Flowers blossomed into vibrant bursts of color, and bright green leaves appeared on the branches of the trees.

The people all seemed to be caught up in a kind of springtime euphoria. The parks and walking trails around the capital were full of activity as the people left the homes they had been confined to through the winter months and enjoyed the warmth. The excitement of the people was contagious, and when Qui-Gon discovered that he had the afternoon free, he slipped away from the bustle of the city to wander and indulge in some time to himself.

Qui-Gon strolled across a wide, grassy field, watching small insects leap from the tall stalks as he moved through them. Blue sky stretched out above him, and feathery white clouds lazily glided across the bright canvas. He breathed in deeply, feeling the fresh forest air cleanse him, and he smiled.

Trees surrounded the field he walked through, each as vast and tall as the next. The land sloped gently, and beyond the first line of trees were miles and miles of woodland. The field rippled in the breeze, displaying waves green and soft gold. The meadow was empty, and blissfully peaceful.

He walked until the grass became low underbrush and the trees rose around him. The plants that had naturally died off during the winter were growing again, though they were not yet high enough to be an obstruction. Qui-Gon stepped over a short bush and slowly walked between the trees. He titled his head back and felt the sunlight streaming between the leaves warm his cheek. He stopped for a moment to enjoy the sensation, then walked on.

Somewhere high in the boughs of the tree above him, a bird began to twitter loudly. Qui-Gon looked up and saw the small bird hopping from branch to branch and continuing to chirp. Then it spread its small wings and flew off deeper into the woods. Qui-Gon watched until it disappeared, then continued.

As he walked further into the forest, the trees grew closer together. The branches were thick and hung low, weighed down by their size. Sunlight became a shadow, blocked out by the larger trees.

Reaching up, Qui-Gon brushed his hand against the branch above him. The Living Force thrummed under his fingertips and sang through the rest of the tree, untainted. The people of Burkelle held a deep respect for the natural world. As a result, much of the planet was untouched, left to flourish without hindrance. Perhaps, Qui-Gon mused, that?s why he liked it here. The Force flowed openly.

Qui-Gon wrapped his hand around the branch. He barely reached half of the way around it. He pulled down on it and felt it shift slightly. Farther up, the branches became thinner, until he was looked up at blue sky. The branches were evenly spaced and slanting upward, meeting the trunk at an angle.

Qui-Gon reached up and wrapped both hands around the branch. He bent his knees, then hoisted himself up and onto the branch. It bent somewhat under his weight, but held. His legs dangled and he sat for a moment. He had climbed trees before, though not recently. When he had been younger, he had climbed the trees in the Temple gardens nearly every day, to read or think. To be climbing a tree again, simply for the pleasure of it, brought on a strange kind of elation he hadn?t felt in years.

Carefully, Qui-Gon grabbed the branch over his head and slowly pulled himself upright. He looked down; the ground was perhaps five feet from the branch

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I totally could see Qui-Gon doing that, climbing a tree and just living in the moment.

Qui-Gon opened himself to the Force. He connected to the trees, the air, the ground. He felt the energy flowing around and into him. Excitement raced under his skin like electricity. He wanted to run and feel the wind race with him, wanted to leap from the tree just to experience those few seconds of weightlessness. In that moment, he wished for rain to feel the slide of the water against his face, he wished for a gale of wind to sweep him into the sky. He experienced the moment with every part of himself. His arms and legs tingled with it, and he grinned and let himself fall into the feeling. In this moment, he lived.

Really enjoyed this paragraph here, especially that last sentence. That is so perfectly Qui-Gon [face_love]=D= Well done!

3. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Brought tears to my eyes, just beautiful.

Each pull, each step higher, brought Qui-Gon deeper into his memories. As a boy, climbing trees for play, pretending to be a Knight, defeating the pirates and saving the princess. As a young man, using the trees as a place to think and study, to relax and enjoy communing with the Force through meditation. As an adult, sleeping in trees, escaping, hiding.

On most occasions, Qui-Gon climbed alone. To climb a tree with another person felt almost intimate to Qui-Gon.

Oh, my. Such lovely feelings and characterization.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely little vignette of Qui-Gon and just the way I see him enjoying all living things.

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I loved this piece. Qui-gon communing with nature in that moment... so, so wonderful.

Well done. :)

6. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Lovely, although I do admit that for a moment I thought you were going to interupt Qui-Gon's moment with a snapping branch and injureous fall. With all the enphasis on danger and adventure, it's nice to see a character at peace rather than struggling for survival.

7. micky-nikki

Dec 31, 2005
    Thank you so much everyone!

--
    Layren Thanks for the review!

Really enjoyed this paragraph here, especially that last sentence. That is so perfectly Qui-Gon

I'm so so glad you said that. That paragraph changed so much, I wasn't sure if it was even coherent anymore.

ratna Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I spent a lot of time thinking about the different feelings and such, I'm really glad everything came across well.

earlybird-obi-wan Thank you!

DaenaBenjen42 Ah, thank you Sarah. I'm glad you liked it.

Your icon makes me giggle, by the way. /random

padawan3 Thanks for the review!

I do admit that for a moment I thought you were going to interupt Qui-Gon's moment with a snapping branch and injureous fall.

Well, Qui-Gon can't always be falling to his death. I'm sure that gets a little tiresome after a while. :p

With all the enphasis on danger and adventure, it's nice to see a character at peace rather than struggling for survival.

That's what I wanted this fic to be, something quiet and peaceful. Everyone deserves a chance to relax, even the Jedi. I actually started it during spring break and found it buried in my spiral a few weeks ago.
    --

Thanks again for the reviews! School starts tomorrow, and I'm starting high school this year. [face_worried] If I disappear for a while, I've either been trampled on the stairs or buried in homework.

8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    In this moment, he lived.

Awwwwwww, you just can't go wrong with Qui-Gon and nature. They go so well together. :)

9. JazzFox

JazzFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2006
    Good job. I love tree climbing myself, and I often feel just the way you described Qui-gon feeling; I could really relate to this lovely piece. Thanks!

10. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Nice "wish I was there moment". Made me very jealous of ol' Qui-Gon!

=D=

11. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    In this moment, he lived.

That is quintessential Qui-Gon all right.

You captured him perfectly.

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

12. micky-nikki

Dec 31, 2005
    I'm terribly sorry for being so lax in responding. [face_blush] I try to make sure I always post replies, but this one slipped past.

ardavenport: Awwwwwww, you just can't go wrong with Qui-Gon and nature. They go so well together.

They do, don't they. :) Thank you for the feedback!

JazzFox: I love tree climbing myself, and I often feel just the way you described Qui-gon feeling; I could really relate to this lovely piece.

It's great to find a fellow tree-climber! I spent a lot of time in a big pine tree when I was writing this, and I really tried to tap into the way it feels to climb a tree. Thank you!

correllian_ale: Thanks for the review!

KELIA: Thank you so much!

That is quintessential Qui-Gon all right. You captured him perfectly.

You've no idea how wonderful it is to hear that. It seemed like every time I wrote him, his characterization was off, and I just couldn't get him to translate properly. It's great to feel like I'm finally getting him right.

13. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    The descriptions in this were beautiufl! Stunningly so!

Wow.

Awesome. Awesome writing, micky-nikki.

14. micky-nikki

Dec 31, 2005
    Meredith_Kenobi: Aw, thank you. [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.