main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dreams Die Hard -- JA (O/Q) **TEASER FOR NEW STORY ADDED 12/18**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Shaindl, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    WHOA!!! Nice one there, if anyone isn't addicted yet they sure as heck will be now

MORE!!

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Arwen's right. It's an addicting addrenalin rush!

I don't mind answering your question by saying "of course I am!" but I can't help you with any recipies since I learned to cook the traditional foods by taste and a pinch here, a pinch there...

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Arwen - thanks! I'm glad I can be your dealer...I think... :D

PadawanKitara - you're addicted too? Oh my, I'm creating a problem here...did you have a good Hanukkah? I finally got my latkes last night. I'm a very happy camper now...

Okay, faithful and much appreciated readers, I don't think you're going to be any happier with me after today's post.

Sorry.

Okay, I'm not really. Just consider it payback for all the cliffies I've endured over the past while. Hah! So there! :D

Hope you enjoy it! :)

?Master Jinn!?

I was fast and though I was getting on in years, hard living and wartime conditions had made it necessary for me to be in top physical shape. But there was no way I could keep up with a Jedi Master at top speed.

He slowed, but didn?t stop. ?Commander??

?I?m coming with you. I know the terrain up there better than anyone. You?ll need me.?

He nodded, not wasting breath on speaking as we raced for the hangar where his ship was located. I think he was likely a little irritated that he couldn?t keep going at his original pace because he had to go at my speed, but I knew that whatever was going to happen he would need someone who knew the area.

?Master Jinn, can you reach Obi-Wan??

?I can.?

?Have you told him what?s happened??

?I have.?

?Tell him to tell Mazor to start evacuation procedures.?

I watched his eyes take on that distant look. He came back to me a couple seconds later, and now his eyes held even more fear.

?He says they can?t evacuate. Too many people who are too badly injured. They can?t be moved.? His eyes took on the look that told me he was talking to his Apprentice. Then abruptly, suddenly, they widened, and his next words came in a whisper.

?Oh, Obi-Wan, no. You can?t?? His conversation with his Padawan moved back into his head, but I suspected what his Apprentice had decided.

Master Jinn turned to me, a grim and desperate look on his face. ?My Padawan wants me to ask you if there are any easily defended positions near your base. He thinks he knows a good place, but he wants confirmation.? He swallowed hard. ?It has to be capable of being defended by one person.?

I was right. Obi-Wan had decided to take on Prathar?s guard on his own. Foolish boy! my mind screamed, but my heart marveled at his courage. ?Tell him he can?t. I forbid him to do it.? I didn't think it would work, but I thought it was at least worth a try.

?I tried. My Padawan is?headstrong. He won?t be dissuaded if he thinks what he?s doing is right.?

I sighed, and allowed my military mind come into existence. My voice got harder. ?Tell him to go back down the path he followed up to the cave. There?s a bottleneck where the mountain is very steep on each side about a kilometre down. Unless they?re very determined, they?ll have to come up the path one at a time. It will be easier for him to take them that way. And tell him that it will be next to impossible for them to bring up any heavy artillery. They might try to lure him down to the clearing below ? tell him not to fall for it. I don?t think they have any assassin droids, so he likely doesn?t need to watch out for them.?

He nodded, and I watched him concentrate on relaying my information to his Padawan. It was kind of odd, taking part in a three-way conversation when I could only hear or see one other person. The line of the Master?s mouth tightened, and I don?t think I was supposed to hear his next whispered words. ?Be safe, Padawan.? A whole galaxy of meaning was mixed into the last word.

He turned his attention back to me as we reached the hangar. ?How fast can we get there??

If sheer willpower and fear could move a ship over large distances, we would have been there instantaneously. Master Jinn had asked about the possibility of going in with the ship?s guns blazing, but I told him that the hills were dotted with tunnels, and a few stray shots from a turbolaser would likely collapse them on my people.

I flew low over the mountains the base was concealed i

4. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    [face_shocked]

I'm going to go and recover before responding further.

[face_shocked]

EDIT: ok, now that I'm a little more composed, I'm not gonna get mad at you because I'm one of those horrible writers that more than oft end in vicious cliffies. So, the only thing I can do is this:

POST MORE SOON!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat and I'm afraid I'm gonna hurt my bum when I fall off waiting. So please post before that happens. Please! :D

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    If that wasn't an adrenalin rush, I don't know what is!!! WOW

OK, I'm breathing again....

I love this holiday because my parents are traditionalists- gelt, not gifts :D

6. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Holy doughnuts. If I didn't want to find out how this story ended,I think I'd kill you for leaving it like that. ;)

*points to self* I've been reading this since you put it up,but have been too shy/busy/lazy to review so far. But I'm DEFINATELY going to keep reading!

7. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Ah, me wondrous readers, ye warm the cockles of me heart, ye do.

Um. Yeah. I don't know what it means either. :D

Suffice it to say I appreciate the replies, and I'm afraid I have to leave this world of mine until Monday. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Shaindl

8. jedi_nayru

jedi_nayru Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    [face_shocked]

[face_shocked]

[face_shocked]

Obi!!!!!!!

9. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Wow. Now that was an evil cliffie. :eek:

I need more!

10. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :mad: Just a word of warning. I don't deal well with authors who kill my Obi-Wan! OKay just wanted to get that clear between us before you post more! :D

11. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Whoa....this is better than a rollar coster ride

MORE!!! NEED ADRENALINE!!

12. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    New reader alert! I just found this wonderful story and have caught up in one sitting. Absolutely riveting. I love the original idea of seeing our favorite Jedi through another's eyes. And the relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon is so beautifully written. :D

Now with all of that said, how could you leave us until Monday with Obi-Wan crumpled on the ground terribly wounded (or worse)?! :_|

I am now another one of your addicted readers. Post more soon please. :)

13. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Just found this on the Saga Index and I love it. I like how the path of this planet echoes the future of the Republic (elected leader becomes dictator, stronger in Force shielding than the Jedi realize).

Plus your OC's childhood longing to be a Jedi reminds us of our own childhood Jedi careers.

The lightsaber sparring was :cool:. You have a good sense of humor too.

Most of all, I like how you characterize Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. They are the virtual father-son bond that I saw in TPM.

Yes, Qui-Gon, we know now what an angry Jedi looks like, thanks to AOTC.

Hmm, would that your OC would join the OT Rebellion or somehow pass on this tale so Luke and his Jedi would know.

14. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Wonderful job, Shaindl. I love the interaction between all the characters. Post soon.

15. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Rise, my friend. [face_devil]

16. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    You guys are great! You make Monday mornings so much more enjoyable!

Arldetta - Fantastic. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat and I'm afraid I'm gonna hurt my bum when I fall off waiting. So please post before that happens. Please! - ouch! Are you okay? I hope so - I don't have any money if I get sued... :D

PadawanKitara - I love this holiday because my parents are traditionalists- gelt, not gifts - **nods sagely** ah, yes, I do love traditionalists - gelt is good. Unfortunately most of mine was foil wrapped chocolate. Not that that's a bad thing. Hope the end to your Hanukkah was good! And thanks for your kind words!

female_obi_wan - death threats? **shakes head** - just what is this world coming to? I've been reading this since you put it up,but have been too shy/busy/lazy to review so far - I understand. That's how I was when I first started reading fic here. But once you start... :D I hope you'll comment/review again!

Jedi_Nayru - thanks for replying and sorry I didn't post anything to you sooner! Just out of curiosity, where did you get your name?

Jedi_Suzuran - Sorry about the cliffie. :) I don't think I really resolve anything today, but I don't think the cliffie is any worse. BTW, loving your stories, post more soon. And thanks for the up!

Obi_ew - Just a word of warning. I don't deal well with authors who kill my Obi-Wan! - is that a threat? :p Ooh, I'm shaking... :D

Arwen - I hope you don't mind me shortening your name - it taks a long time to type out. :) Seems to be a lot of different roller coaster rides going on around these boards. I'm glad I could add to the amusement park atmosphere...

Sheila - New reader alert! Yippee! (No, I most certainly did NOT quote the little brat...). Always love new readers! I just found this wonderful story and have caught up in one sitting. Absolutely riveting. I love the original idea of seeing our favorite Jedi through another's eyes. And the relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon is so beautifully written. - thank you for some really, really wonderful words. I appreciate them a lot. And one sitting? I know my story isn't as long as some others here, but still, that's a lot at once. Thanks for taking the time!

FTS - shortened your name too, hope that's ok. Thanks for telling me where you found this - I like knowing that posting a link there was useful.

I like how the path of this planet echoes the future of the Republic (elected leader becomes dictator, stronger in Force shielding than the Jedi realize).

You know, you're the first to pick up on that - I did it on purpose. I'm glad you liked it.

Plus your OC's childhood longing to be a Jedi reminds us of our own childhood Jedi careers. - you know, I didn't do that on purpose, but I know what you mean. I used to play Star Wars with my cousins. I was the oldest female cousin so I always used to bully my way into being Leia. I wanted her pastry bun hair too. And yes, my fashion sense has gotten better since my childhood. :p

You have a good sense of humor too. - oh, that means a lot. Humour is so hard to write because you never know how/if your sense of humour will come across to other people. I posted a short JA humour vignette a while back, and I was really nervous about it.

ZaraValinor - Wonderful job, Shaindl. I love the interaction between all the characters. - thank you - I was nervous creating an OC, especially one who was the narrator of the piece. It's hard to give someone a separate personality and make them come alive in some sense. I'm still not convinced I did it as well as I could have with Rohal, but for a first try, I'm happy. I hope that in my next story, I can create a character that's a little more diverse.

Thanks for sticking with this - I think it might be finished either this week or next depending on how long the muse says I need to wrap things up. I knew where I wanted to end but not how to get there, but while writing

17. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    AAARRRRGHHH!!!! :_| Our lovely Obi wasn't expecting to come back!! How 'Obi' of him!

Anyway, I'm alright. I didn't hurt myself too bad when I fell off the chair. ;)

OH, and why are you reading 'Iedos'???? That isn't my best work. I'm much more proud of other stories than that. [face_yuck] WEll, I'll do my best to get a post there as long as you keep postin ghere. ;) Deal? Good. :D

18. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Another great post! I really am enjoying the view from the gallery. :)

But...um, like my master, I so don't like it when Obi dies in the story. Just so you know, we'll gang up on you if he doesn't live. I support my master. ;)

Excellent. :)

19. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Arldetta - glad to know you weren't hurt! :p I'm reading that one because it's the first one of yours I found. Give me time and I'll find/review the others. Deal? Good. :D

Jedi_Suzaran - am I being threatened with mob mentality? Should I be worried? [face_laugh] I could tell you what's coming up, but what't the fun in that?

More tomorrow, folks.

Shaindl

20. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Yes that most certainly was a threat! :D And if I have my Padawan backing me then you had better watch out! :p

21. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    *snickers*

Well, there you go! Master/padawan tag team action. So heed the warnings! :p :p :p

22. jedi_nayru

jedi_nayru Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    Wow, great post! Poor Obi, how could he not expect to come back?

To answer your question, I got my name from Legend of Zelda. Nayru is one of the three goddesses who created the land of Hyrule, I just liked the way it sounded, so I used it for my name.

23. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    A beautiful but heartbreaking post Shaindl .

I would be joining the mob with obi_ew and Jedi_Suzaran if it weren't for this line earlier in your story.

So Obi-Wan went to help my people. And I started him on a path that almost got him killed.

That "almost" is keeping me hoping. But mark my words, if Obi-Wan comes to a bitter end here there will be one more irate reader in that mob! :eek: :D

24. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Well there's our Obi: ready to die to save others

If only everyone was like that *sigh*

MOre!!

PS. CAllin' me Arwen is fine, everyone does it. Even AJK is good

25. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Wow! Great story. You're OC is believable and interesting, and its fascinating to me to see Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon from someone else's perspective. And the suspense! Please post more soon!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.