main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Dreams in Digital?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jawajames , May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    does it seem to me that according to the starwars.com list of digital theatres: san diego county has more than any other area in the state or in the country?
    is the competition for movie-goers so fierce down here that we have so many digital theaters... i guess it helps that ultrastar has really bought on to this new media.

UltraStar LaCosta 6 Carlsbad California
    UltraStar Chula Vista Chula Vista California
    UltraStar Poway Creekside Plaza 10 Poway
    AMC Mission Valley 20 San Diego California
    Edwards Mira Mesa Stadium 18 San Diego
    UltraStar Del Mar Highlands 8 San Diego

the LA / OC area has 8 theaters... but a much bigger area and population...

the next states with the most theaters only have 3 - florida, illinois, new york, massachusetts. california has 17

go San Diego!
    (if only they would reduce ticket prices)

2. Avenger

Avenger Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    "if only they would reduce the ticket prices"
    Now that's a dream in digital... ;)

By the way, has any of you ever seen a movie in a digital Theater ?
    Is it really that good ?

3. Dune_Sea_Hermit

Dune_Sea_Hermit Jedi Master star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    Digital projection is STUNNING. The picture is so sharp. I hope everyone has a chance to view it in this format at least once.

Edwards Mira Mesa, where I watched Episode II in digital, is only confirmed for digital screenings through 23 May. It may be extended, but they don't know for sure. Don't miss it!

4. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    There was definitely a difference. I saw the movie at 7pm at the Grossmont Trolley and then at 12:05 at the AMC Mission Valley, and the difference was amazing! You could see little details in the background that you couldn't quite make out in film because they were too fuzzy.

See it in Digital at one of the Ultrastars though. Their Digital projectors are 8 generations advanced from the kind of projector Mission Valley has. Mission Valley bought theirs 3-4 years ago for $30,000. Ultrastar installed theirs this past Monday at a cost of $270,000 I believe. I was lucky enough to see a special preview showing at the Ultrastar in Chula Vista. People from Boeing, the makers of the projector, and Lucasfilm were on hand to answer questions. I'll be there in Chula Vista around 7:30pm to see it in one of their new Digital screens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.