main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dremel Question

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kev-Mas_Colcha, Jan 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I recently acquired a dremel, and I was wondering why the saw bit kept on breaking when I try cutting my lightsaber, which is made from a chrome pipe. Is there any precautions in avoiding this?

I'd like to know, because if I get the saber cut, I could finally finish it.

2. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Are you using the right tip for what you're doing? There should be a booklet that came with the dremel that explains what tips to use for what tasks.

3. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Yea, I read the booklet, and it said the bit I was using cuts metal, and it said it can cut tough metal too. Also, I successfully cut through, and finished the job, while breaking 2 bits....

4. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    If you're making straight cuts, try using cutoff wheels. I've used those with a lot of success on chromed sink pipes, which are made of brass, so fairly soft.

Even if you're making a curved shape, you can often remove some of the material with a cutoff wheel and grind or file the curve into the metal. I've done that, too.

5. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    There are two kinds of cut-off wheels. One is very thin and breaks really easy. The other is thicker and has fiber running through it to hold it together. These are mor expensive but typically don't break, unless you goof and bend it while cutting.

You can by a pack of the nicer wheels for about $13 at HD.

Scott

6. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Thanks for the tip, Skaught!! There is actually some cut-off wheels that you were talking about, that is designed for my Black & Decker RTX Rotary Tool(the one I was talking about in the first place). They weren't included in the kit, but, they are included in an extra accessory pack which I was thinking about buying.

Also, I was thinking about making designs on my saber with my dremel, with the engraving tool (included in my kit), and I was wondering about how to go about doing that. Any tips/advice?

7. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    The number one advice when using a dremel: don't push, let the rotation do the job. Pushing too hard is most often the reason behind slipping or for when a tool breaks.
    This is more important when engraving. Concentrate on keeping a firm grip, pressing only lightly with the engraving tool onto the workpiece.
    Reposition your wrist and/or your workpiece for the best angle for each shape you engrave. If you have done calligraphy, you know what a difference it makes.

8. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    maybe you might want to try some better cutting bits - try going to this web site:

Micro Mark

They have a ton of differnt dremel type tools and cutting bits. I think you might find a better alternative to the cut off wheels that break all the time ;)

Hope this helps you out

Dave

9. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Looks like a very useful company, lgtsbr. I definitely bookmarked that one!

10. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    cool - I have used them for a ton of things - and I like that they specialize in small tools and model type tools ;)

Dave

11. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Cool link. Definately going to help me out on building quality sabers. Including this one.

12. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    glad I could help

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.