main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (Now with Turn Coat!)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by varza, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I just picked up Dead Beat, haven't really gotten far in it, but quick question - how important is chronology? I haven't been able to find the first one, but I'd like to get started, somewhat.

2. Zandoran_Celix

Zandoran_Celix Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Unfortunately I'm a alte comer to ths series. Founf Fool Moon at my library and though it lookd interesting. I hated readin the books out of order tohugh. Then I found the Science Fiction Book club Hardback 3 in 1 called Wizard for Hire.

I'm reading Grave Peril right now and I gotta say. Its reall great.

I did see in SciFi Magazine that SciFi Channel is doing a series of it in january. They got Peter Blackthorne to play harry. I think that was his name, either peter or paul. Anyway, I'm worried to ehar its coming from Liongate though. They don't do Movie conversions very well.

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    They have a preview online, and it actually looks really good.

4. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    the writers of the series love the books and Jim is REALLY happy with the pilot so far. I am looking forward to it. The actors name is Paul Blackthorne - he was in the 3rd season of 24 and did a good job.

JediTri - order is somewhat important but I think its fine if you read out of order. You may be just a bit confused on some of the characters.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, I felt like I was missing some in jokes, but I can't find any other books out there.

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually went back and read the series.

Well to be honest I was bored one day and picked up Grave peril, then went back and got all the stories in between.

I have to say I appreciate the wider scope much better then the inital premise. Frankly I'm not a huge fan of the private eye genre.

7. Zandoran_Celix

Feb 16, 2005
    Looked up on SciFi.com about the series. Something bothered me though. They got Jennifer Stantons name mixed up with Linda Randalls, and they called Murphy Connie not Karrin.

I wonder if those are just typos or if they actually changed them for the series? I wouldn't think they did, but who knows.

I can actually see Paul Blackthorne as Harry. Didn't get to load the video preview cause of my Dialup, but hopefully I can load it up later. I'm excited about the series, and since Jim is happy, I'm sure i'll enjoy it. I probably will always enjoy the books better though.

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The might have needed to change the names due to legal reasons, it's happened before.

9. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC there is actually an Officer in the Chicago police by that name, so they changed it for the TV show.

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I finally found the first two books, in Barnes and Noble (I work at Walden Books), and I'll hopefully get to the first one before the show airs.

11. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I still can't find the first one, but I have started the series. I read the second one and have the third and fifth to read. I gave up trying to read them in order.

12. Zandoran_Celix

Feb 16, 2005
    I've finally read and own all eight in the Series.

The Dresden Files are my Favorite so far.

And the Comemrcials I've seen of the Dresden files..Well lets just say I'm very excited.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, I'm really looking forwards to it. Looks to be a really slick looking show.

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I haven't readed any of the Dresden Files but I am currently reading his Codex of Alera and I must that I am extremely impressed with those books. They are my first experience with Butcher and man the books are really GREAT so far!

15. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    So: has anyone else read Turn Coat yet?

I think that Jim Butcher's writing keeps improving, he did a better job drawing in his plot threads than he has in the past, but man, this book was a downer. Thomas, Luccio and Morgan's plotlines make me a little sad. For me, Molly was the highlight of the book, and she's showing a tendency towards skirting the edges of what she should be allowed to do that's kind of troubling - but I'm sure Harry's actions have looked just as bad.

Harry continues to be funny, and it's made very clear that he makes the good guys nervous. They see him as the guy who killed a Faerie Queen, who animated a dinosaur and took down an archwizard that took down the two most powerful Wardens before they even got close, who started a war with the Red Court, etc (and they don't even know about the demonic/angelic influences on him!). Harry is starting to move solidly into the big leagues, and people react accordingly.

16. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I loved this book. Your right about the Thomas, Luccio, and Morgan stuff being a downer. I liked the more detailed look at the white council that we got in this book.

17. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It's going to be a while before I get to Turn Coat, I just finished up the 5th book in the series. I've been getting the omnibus formats from SFBC. So far they've got 4 omnibuses out. The first one has the first 3, the rest each have 2 novels.

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    It took me a sec to realize that yu hadn't said SFFBC :p But you like them so far?

19. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

So, the next book is called Changes, and features the return of Susan!

20. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Yeah, they are great books. I love the Star Wars references in Summer Knight too.

I just watched the entire TV series too... sometimes it was hard to separate my mind from the novels while watching it, but when I could I was able to enjoy them more. I think Paul Blackthorne sort of just IS Harry Dresden.

Can't wait to round up some more money to buy the rest so I can be caught up in the series. I would've taken SFBC up on the combo set of FOTJ Outcast with Turn Coat... but I didn't want to have Turn Coat just sitting around waiting for me to read the other novels before it.

21. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    The earlier novels tend to stand on their own fairly well; the later ones, not so much. Turn Coat may very well be a fun and enjoyable read for someone who hasn't read everything before it, but knowing Harry (and that he has secrets that would put him in front of a headsman in short order if he spilled them) and Morgan (and his history with Harry) and Lara (and how she operates) and Thomas (and his relationship with Harry) and the Alphas and Molly and Luccio and the Merlin and everyone else, definitely adds a lot to it.

22. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Yeah, I'll wait. It'll still be there when I get around to it. And who knows... SFBC might have it omnibused with Small Favor by then.

23. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
  24. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    So, in random funny news: Felicia Day is apparently a huge Jim Butcher fan. While he's no doubt happy about this, this caused a problem for him recently. Felicia Day announced on twitter that she had discovered that Butcher twittered; people who followed Day's twitters sent e-mails to Jim Butcher, resulting in Butcher receiving over 3,000 e-mails from his new fans, and crashing his e-mail server.

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That's funny :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.