main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Drew Struzan doing poster art for the new trilogy. [UPDATE: No, he isn't]

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    If Disney asks him, I think he'll come out of retirement for one last hurrah. (one last meaning the new trilogy)

3. CoraxRD

CoraxRD Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2012
    According to Drew Disney has called him twice about Star Wars. Very exciting news for the Sequels.

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    He hasn't confirmed he's doing it, just that he'd be interested if offered the job.

"...I guess there is always a chance. There’s no intention. But I would love to have a day off every now and again, and I have to work a weekend and all through the night. If the opportunity arises, it will be a real temptation."

5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    At least we got some news.

6. CoraxRD

CoraxRD Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2012
    Here's the full question and answer from Fanhatten and Drew:

Fanhattan: Last time you and I chatted, you talked about being retired, so I’m thrilled to see new work from you. Are you working on any big new projects.
    Drew Struzan: Oh, well, never say never, [laughs] because…in fact, I got a couple calls already this week on Star Wars from Disney. Oh my god, I’m trying to be retired! You know, I spent 35 years painting Star Wars. [laughs] I painted Star Wars before most of you were born! But I guess there is always a chance. There’s no intention. But I would love to have a day off every now and again, and I have to work a weekend and all through the night. If the opportunity arises, it will be a real temptation. But it’s going to have to be a real temptation to get me away from my wife and my little grandkids and my family. Away from the green trees and the blue skies for a change instead of just locked in the studio. But, you know, never say never. All things are possible.

I really think he is trying to be coy about his answer without breaking any NDA's but still giving info.

laurethiel1138 and Echo-07 like this.
  7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Thats the feeling I got too.

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Shouldn't this be taken as one example of how Disney is trying to make intelligent decisions with the franchise? To even consider asking Struzan is just such a smart, common-sense move that it would almost seem beyond the Disney that fear has inflamed in many people's minds into a franchise-ruining corporate conglomerate. But rather than make stupid choices, they go for traditional right out of the gate, even here, in an area that you wouldn't think is important but is: the poster. Now, whether Struzan actually bites is another matter (I take his "real temptation" statement to be a feeler to see how much MouseCorp. will pony up to pay him, but he sure doesn't sound opposed to it on principle), but at least they went to him and asked. We need to credit them for that.

Joe Antonetti, KED12345 and Echo-07 like this.
  9. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    First and foremost, I love Struzan's work. The following question has nothing to do with not wanting him to do the ST posters.

My question is:

Is the thought of using Drew for the ST soley so that all SW Episodes have consistant artwork?
    (I know he didnt do the original OT posters for ANH and TESB, but did the teaser ROTJ poster...)

10. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Finally some news.

Echo-07 likes this.
  11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Man, this is great news and I really hope he does it. Also there was a thread speculating about DS's involvement about a couple weeks ago and I think it was largely positive that fans wanted Struzan back. IMO Struzan has become part of the SW experience almost to the level of say John Williams.

What this tells me is that Disney is absolutely conscious of what makes the SW experience a unique experience and they are doing everything in their power to replicate it without missing a beat. This also tells me that they will push hard for the BIg 3 to make reprisals for however long the script dictates, John Williams will be invited back, and they will try hard to give the opening its traditional May spot.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Let's hope they're also conscious of what not to do.

El_Machete12, LunarMoth and Echo-07 like this.
  13. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I said it before, I think Drew's art is epic:

[​IMG]

14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yeah massive news ! It's now the 22nd of January & this is all we got .

15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Well.. to be fair, even if they can't get him back, there are equally as talented artists who could probably do the exact same thing.

16. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Meh.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing some fresh posters from a new/ different artist. The best of the six above is arguably TESB, as you get the feeling of an assault by the Empire popping out of the poster. ROTJ isn't too bad either (even though it is inaccurate by showing the duel between Luke and Vader from TESB). The other four are too similar and too boring; just faces without a theme or a feeling. They look like random collections of character heads and ships.

On the other hand, it won't get me all worked up in a tither if Struzan gets the job again.

So, just, meh.

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Great news! Struzan is one of the norms you come to expect with any Star Wars film and I'm glad to hear that he's interested!

18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Eh, nice to get some news, but not what I was hoping for. Also, I'm not really that crazy about those posters

19. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    holy crap we got somewhat of news finally!!!!!!!

Thats great to here though! I swear Disney trolls this board...=D

20. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    Good poster art does not make for a good movie. Sorry but this is worthless news. We need casting news, basic story/plot news or an official announcement on who's directing.

21. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    To each their own, but to some the poster art is part of the Star Wars experience. Sure, casting or plot news might be more important in the scheme of things, but to call this news worthless is... well... worthless. That fact that most other posters here are happy to here it proves so.

22. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm excited. It's definitely part of the Star Wars feel for me.

Darth Chiznuk , Echo-07 and CoraxRD like this.
  23. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I'd hardly call this news until Struzan decides to actually agree to do it. This is the equivalent of all the director's who've said they'd like to work on the ST but haven't been asked.

24. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Spoiler Alert: He is making Princess Leia look more like Jabba the Hutt. However, it is going to take quite a while... he needs a rather large canvas. [face_phbbbbt]

25. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Lens flares for all my homies!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.