main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN "Drive-In" Night at the SMT: The "Return of the Jedi" 20th Anniversay Picnic

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    I am with Dale on this one! The 26th or maybe even the 19th would be cool so the Matrix movie can be our may meeting!!!

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    No can do on the 26th. Too much going that day. I'm already committed to Arlington in April for the company on Saturday the 26th (especially since I'm to be the manager of the Arlington location, whenever they build the damn thing.)

I'm scouting locations for the drive-in night other than here at our house. We have another possible site just outside of Arlington where we wouldn't have to worry about the weather. I'll keep y'all posted.

3. DBRANIGE

DBRANIGE Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2003
    AS FAR AS ATTENDING A MEETING WITH MY NEW GROUP I SAY THE SOONER THE BETTER AND AS FAR AS MY AVAILABILITY GOES ... IF IT'S AFTER 3 IN THE AFTERNOON I'M READY. TALK ABOUT EASY.D

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Well, April 19th is the day before Easter and might be difficult for folks who want to visit family or attend worship services.

April 26th is out because QGT has a prior committment.

May 3rd looks good - and we can still meet up to go see the Matrix that month...doesn't have to be an "official" meeting. Or we could have 2 meetings in one month - we've never really decided on a meeting schedule, LOL. Just my thoughts. :)

5. bigheadwookie

bigheadwookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2003
    hey trace, i ws just reading your post, and i noticed something about your avatar... I thought Mara had a purple lightsaber???

Hold on... I just thought of it... Yeah. that's lukes old one, right? since he gave it to her???

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    BHW: Good catch. Mara's lightsaber in the comic Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand was some shade of red...but that was when she was with the Empire.

The one she carries "now" is Luke's old one from ANH & TESB - blue.

I've seen depictions of her with both colors and I guess it just depends on whether it is her pre or post Empire days.

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Meeting update..... Well, we've at least nailed down what movie we'll be watching. In honor of its 20th anniversary, we'll be watching Return of the Jedi at the next meeting.

The date and the location are still in the works. I do want to do all I can to accommodate everyone if at all possible.

8. bigheadwookie

bigheadwookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2003
    QGT: Man, this is going to be wierd. I'm going to walk up their, and expect to see liam neeson there holdin a green lightsaber. Avatars confuse me!!!!

I'm guessing you look nothing like Nesson, am i right???

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    It's easier to guess that Neeson looks nothing like me!

Much to my wife's shagrin, no. I do not look anything like Liam Neeson.

10. TheDarknessX

Nov 3, 2002
    I did a pretty bad job with my Neeson UMpersonation for the con...

11. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Wasn't Liam Neeson in that god awful 80's movie "Krull"? I liked parts of it, the cyclops guy, but that movie really sucked. :p

12. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Well, as far as I can tell at this point...Sherri and I can make it on May 3rd.
    We can't wait to see you guys. We miss ya.

13. Aravis_Antilles

Aravis_Antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2003
    A) May third is great.

b) I'm wierd! The voices told me so (snicker)

C) ROTJ? oh kay...

D) I HAVE CON PICS!! YAY! And they have sal and jay and me and grace and her friend wesley and tim and vader and winter so far.
    YAY! I'll bring them to the group in May.

Love!

Joy

14. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    Now see, just when I was beginning to believe we all had great taste in movies, somebody has to go and talk trash about one of my favorite '80's movies, Krull!!

I'm game for whenever the meeting is but ROTJ, I understand the reasoning behind it but it just doesn't seem right to skip ESB like that. I'll have to watch it before the meeting.

15. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I can get a studio suite with my Marriott rewards (read: free) for the night of May 3rd. Tim could bring his speakers, I could bring the rest. It has a sectional sofa, a small dining table, a bar and some chairs. Let me know.

16. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Dude, I'm sorry, but Krull was bad. It has some of the worst acting ever!!! I'd love to see a Conan vs. "the wimpy Krull guy and his oversized ninja star". Conan would carve him up!!

I did say that the cyclops was cool. Too bad they killed him off. I say kill all the other characters and let the cyclops ride off into the sunset on the flaming horse with the ninja star!!!! :D

17. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Haven't seen Krull but Neason stared in Dark Man and that movie rocked. MAy 3rd is good for me.

Tim

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I've blocked Krull from my memory. I'm sure there's a reason. I somehow vaguely remember that it came on HBO for something like EVERYDAY FOR THREE STRAIGHT FRIGGIN YEARS or something like that. (That and Teen Witch. I'm trying to block that one, too.)

Well, looks like May 3rd is the official date for our next meeting.

Rhonda: The suite thing sounds cool, but I would still like to keep this as an outdoor thing if we can. Any chance we could keep that as a backup plan, just in case of foul weather?

Next I'll negotiate a place. I don't know why I'm so friggin concerned about noise. None of my neighbors have ever cared about keeping me up til the wee hours, and the Memphis Moron's Motorsports Park should be in full swing by then (going until, oh, 1 am or so).

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I wouldn't worry about it then, Tim. My friends and I have done it several times at parties. We can just sit closer to the screen. The suite would be just like watching it at your house, so it wouldn't be as much fun. I just thought you didn't have room (like me) for a screen and all the people. Although, now that I think about it - inside is nice because you can lay on the floor, sprawl out, etc. 8-}

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Rhonda: Traci and I were planning an outdoor shindig, complete with the grilling of animal flesh....you know, picnic stuff. Then we'd complete the outdoor motif with our own version of a drive-in, complete with big outdoor screen. I know what you mean about sprawling out on the floor inside, though. Question: How quick can we nab one of those suites, just in case? (Or how long do we have to cancel?) My only concern is rain.

Traci and I were just talking a few minutes ago. Considering how considerate our neighbors have been towards us over the past eight years, SCREW EM!

The party will be here, in our backyard. Anyone daring enough has full permission to jump the fence and skinny-dip in my neighbor's above-ground pool. (Just watch out for her golden retriever, OK?)

So here are the details:

"DRIVE-IN" AT THE SMT!!! THE "RETURN OF THE JEDI" 20th ANNIVERSARY PICNIC.

Date: Saturday, May 3rd
    Time: 4 o'clock PM
    Where: Our house (PM me for the address. Use Mapquest for directions. I'll get you nine-kinds-of lost.)

What to bring: Lawnchairs, blankets, games.

We'll be grilling up Hamburgers and HotDogs, (which we'll supply, as well as plates, silverware, and napkins.) If you don't like either of those, just bring whatever brand of dead animal you like and we'll throw it on the grill. (Possum, Racoon, and Nutria excluded.)

Items that will need to be brought:

Chips
    Drinks
    Buns
    Side Items
    Snacks

Can't wait to see y'all there!!

21. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Tim: This all sounds super-great, dude. Can't wait to torch...uh...I mean, watch ROTJ.

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Us? Torch a SW movie? Surely you must be confusing us with the Memphis FanForce.

Ooops.

23. TheDarknessX

Nov 3, 2002
    I am CHIPS-MAN I will bringith the chips and enjoyith the beef for I am CHIPS-MAN! (Not to be confused with the latino Eric Estrada from Chips the tv show) How many bags will we need Oh fearless-of-his-neighbors leader?

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I really dunno at this exact moment. If we have a full turnout, including the four neighbors I actually like, we're looking at about 25 people, maybe thirty if I invite family, but I'll tell them to bring stuff, too, if they come.

Side items might also be good for this. You know, things like potato salad, slaw, magic mushrooms, hot wings, you know...that sort of thing.

Wait.... scratch one of those.... Slaw is really useless.

25. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Are you gong to have enough chairs? I'll bring my comfy chair, and sit towards the screen some - so I can actually hear with you nuts around... 8-} Of course we'll need to wait until around 8pm to show the movie, so I may be a little late, but no later than 6pm.

You're inviting family??? Boy, are you brave....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.