main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN "Drive-In Night" III: RESCHEDULED TO SATURDAY, OCT 4th

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    A little reminder for all of us:

When: Saturday, August 2nd - 5 pm (Rain Date: August 9th)

Where: Black Sheep Meadows- (aka The home of Sharon & Michael Moore) Williston, Tn (Fayette County) (Directions provided upon request)

What to bring: Camping gear, snacks, lawn chairs, laser tag guns, games, booze, and slab o' meat for the grill.

What's gonna happen: The ENTIRE Classic Trilogy will be shown on the BIG OL' SCREEN starting at dark.

What else is gonna happen:

UP! ALL NIGHT! (WELL, ALMOST.) Star Wars films till the wee hours underneath the stars!

HEY Y'ALL! WATCH THIS! For those who want to bring their laser tag guns, there are plenty of gullies and trails to run rampant and have a blast and make your inner redneck happy! (Check with Sal to see which brand to buy.)

MOO! MOO! MOO! The grill will be fired up, so bring yourself a little bit of something to throw on the dang thing. (Need some volunteers to provide some other fixins, please.)

AUNT EDNA, THIS TENT'S YOURS. Don't forget your camping gear. We won't be too far from the house, so you won't have to worry about accidentally wiping with poison ivy.

ANYBODY GOT A FRENCH HORN? We'll be roasting a special guest.....literally!

SOMEONE'S POISONED THE WATER HOLE! That's right, ladies and germs, it's another BYOB event!

DON'T TOUCH THAT COMB! When the morning comes around, we'll be having our First Annual "OMG, IS THAT YOUR HAIR?" BED-HEAD CONTEST, with an actual prize, straight from my closet o' Star Wars stuff.

EXCUSE ME, YOUR SALACIOUS CRUMB IS IN MY COFFEE! Breakfast will be enjoyed at THE HUT in beautiful Somerville. Don't worry, it's not nearly as glamorous as it sounds, so you can wear your baseball cap to cover your bed-head. (Subject to change.)

Give me a shout if you have any questions. I'll try and have a map handy for directions off of Hwy 64 in Fayette County. (It's really not that far, it just feels like it.)

I'm looking forward to seeing Y'all next weekend!

-Tim

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    One week to go, folks! Any ideas on what we want as far as a dinner menu?

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    UPDATE 7/27/03: I'm keeping a watchful eye on the forecast. So far, according to both the Weather Channel.com and Weatherbug, it looks like we're in for a nice evening with a slight (20%) chance of overnight thunderstorms. I've had luck of the Corellian variety for the past two "Drive-In" nights, so don't tell me the odds!

The Big Ol' Screen lives again. After the demise of our last big screen thanks to high winds, I've just completed its replacement. The new screen is four feet longer and three feet taller than the last one, making it a whopping 24' x 11'. I was going to go as large as 30' wide, but that would've been insane. I'll force myself to take much better care of this one, especially knowing now that it's a complete pain in the tuckus to sew 24' material.

I can't wait until the Bed-Head contest. I found the perfect prize while out and about. It's not a mint, carded Vader with the double-telescoping lightsaber, mind you, but I think it's a hoot.

What do y'all want to go with your charred animal flesh? Traci and I will supply the plates, silverware, and drinks as usual, but we need some ideas as far as side dishes and what not, and some volunteers who are willing to provide such vittles. I was thinking something along the lines of corn-on-the-cob and such, but that's just me. Need some feedback here.

Is there anyone out there willing to volunteer with setup? I'll be out at Sharon's house on Saturday Morning to set things up, but I might need a hand getting some things going (like the bonfire and getting the screen up).

And finally....

Just where is everyone? Should I be worried that the board is this dead just days away from one of our events?

4. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Unfortunately, we'll be unable to attend this event. We're leaving as soon as I get off work Saturday night and heading out of town. I wasn't gonna be much competition in the Bed Head contest anyway. :(

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Steve: I absolutely hate it that you'll miss this one. Have fun this weekend. We'll miss you.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    :( I won't be able to make this one either. I have a friend whose going to Tulane to go to lawschool and Sat. is his going away. I just found out last night that it was indeed Aug 2, I was afraid of that. :_|

7. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Tim, when are you heading up there? I'm supposed to see some friends off but not sure yet what time. I'm looking forward to this weekend- but feel like I've been camping out (or should I say 'in') all week!

As far as vittles go, baked potatoes are usually pretty easy to fix. I'll try and come up with something good.

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Lin: I don't have an exact time yet, but I'm sure I'll be there before noon, considering that I need to find a buttload of wood for the bonfire and get the screen up and the surround sound set up (early....imagine that!). I'm glad to hear that you'll be there.

Which brings me to this....

The Memphis FF board has been quite dead over the past couple of weeks. I intended this to be one of our more major events when I announced it a month ago, but, to be honest, I'm starting to wonder if there is even enough interest in this weekend's event to put in the effort that it takes to put it all together, especially considering the lack of activity in the forum.

I know that Hurricane Elvis has thrown us for a loop, and that some of you have no power. Considering that, I'll be calling everyone to get an idea of who will be there. If we have our usual number (8-10 members) or close, and the weather is cooperative, we'll go ahead with our plans. If only two or three folks are planning on attending, I'd prefer to scale things back quite a bit and do something more in line with our usual meetings. (In that case, I don't want the few who are interested in meeting to think that they're not worthy of a big event. Trust me, I don't mind putting in the work for our meetings. I do, however, like to have as many members attend as possible, especially for our larger events.)

If we don't have enough interest for the campout at this time, we can always reschedule it for another time. However, I'd still like to do this if at all possible. If those interested will please post here to let me know. I'll make a decision no later than Thursday evening.

So far, here is the list of folks who will be there:

Me
    Traci
    Lin
    Tim C.

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    If this weekend doesn't work out, my suggestion was to wait a little later in the summer when it gets dark earlier....that way we wouldn't be up all night.

Maybe as our One Year Anniversary Celebration in September (our first meeting) or October (when we became an official FanForce)? We have GOT to party then! :D

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, what Traci said.

11. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    Sadly, Gracie will not be able to attend either. She will be rather busy this weekend, because she has *gasp!* another doctor's appointment!

WHEN WILL THE TORMENT END?!?!?

And also, she's going to be hanging out with a high school friend that she's not seen in over a year.

*bows*

Please forgive me...I'm not putting her over you guys, it's just that I've had rather unpleasant experiences with camping, not to mention I'd get lost in Fayette county! But if Joy and J will be attending, I can take a photo of my bed head for them to present during the morning. :p

-Darth Grace*

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Drive-In Night III is now officially cancelled ladies and gents. Considering that the majority of the group either can't make it or are AWOL, I think it best that we hold this event later in the year.

So, Mark your calendars now:

"DRIVE-IN" NIGHT III: THE CLASSIC TRILOGY CAMPOUT" will now be held on Saturday, October 2nd at 2pm at the same location. The rain date for this event will be Saturday, October 11th. The same stuff will happen as I listed above, plus anything more I can think of for us to do.

See the new thread for details of this Saturday's get together.

-Tim

13. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Great idea, Tim. I'm going to go ahead and ask for that Saturday off.

14. Ima_Toydarian

Ima_Toydarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2003
    I may be in Tampa that weekend, and I know I'll be busy with the haunt on the rain date. I swear, for someone who doesn't have a life I'm always busy!

Well, if I don't make it out throw a Chewie "I wuv you!" sound effect in there for me.

Tim, don't feel too bad about the meeting no-shows. With the MSCA we can have a dozen or more at one meeting and maybe two or three at the next. The meetings/get-togethers I've gotten a chance to attend with ya'll have been a blast.

Lin

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Lin: I really hope things work out so you can make it. We'll miss you, that's for sure, but I completely understand.

Well, I'm going to do my best to make sure that this will be a memorable event. So far, aside from the things I mentioned before, I've been able to add the following.

Earlier Nightfall

Cooler Weather (subject to change without notice)

Special Guest: Direct from London: Wonderpants will be joining us for the event.

If any of you have any ideas, let me know.

Oh, and we will have to nix the idea of the SMT Deer Hunt thanks to the close proximity of my sister's neighbors' homes. However, there is one house that she says is perfectly OK to shoot at. We'll paint a bullseye on it.

16. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Special Guest: Direct from London: Wonderpants will be joining us for the event.

And in honour of the occasion, I'll be giving a special talk on the following: 100 Famous London Manhole Covers. It's guaranteed to be a fasci..... Oi, where are you all going?!?

17. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Well Oct 2nd it is then! I just hope its much cooler by then so that none of our members die of the west nile virus but just in case I say we should bring a band aid for the unforunate ones!

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, Traci pointed out that the first Saturday in October is, in fact, the 4th. Sorry about the error. Please note the date on your calendar.

-Tim

19. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Bloody hell, I'm going to miss WONDERPANTS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.