main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN "Drive-In Night IV"- May 22, 2004- 6:30PM

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, so the screen frame is finally assembled and is laying on its face on the ground. The thing looked a lot smaller on paper. It's friggin huge! Considering the size of the thing, it may end up remaining assembled throughout the summer.

Also, considering the size of the thing, I need a small army of folks on Friday night for a "screen raising". The frame needs to be stood up, which is going to take a good six to ten people. I need volunteers, folks, and I need them bad. If we can get the thing up on Friday night, then Saturday will be that much more enjoyable for everyone.

2. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    "That's no screen, it's a space station!"

I'll bring some cups and some fixin stuffs. Been looking forward to this.

Sal: missed ya, ya big wookie! You know Tim and the rest of us can't handle all the sarcasm without ya!

Any newbies- please feel free to come to any of the club events posted here or on the website. My first SMT event (other than cracking jokes at the MSC costume contest) was a Drive-In Movie Night. I've been a member ever since.

Curse you Tim, it IS all your fault!

3. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    I'm coming, but I won't give in to the force! Darkness shall be my path always.

MWAH HA HA HA HA HA ha..hic--cough cough!!
    Woo--don't laugh evilly and swallow at the same time.
    cough. You'll get choked up.
    ahem.

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I've decided to scrap the screen idea, but keep building. The PVC Death Star should be complete by early May 2005. Then if any fanboys piss us off, [Emperor Voice]we can show them the power of this fully armed and operational screen.[/Emperor voice]

Good God, what have I done? It's too huge. I just got a "thank you" card from the PVC Association of America.

This is all my fault.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Are hot dogs and buns taken? If not, I got those. I'll help with sodas too, Grace.

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Sal told me he was going to bring hotdogs and buns when I spoke with him on Sunday. Other than that, we've already got hamburger meat and buns, chips, dips, drinks, and fixins (does that mean lettuce, tomatoes, and condiments, Lin?). We could always use more chips and drinks, I guess, or we could even go for a side dish like some tater salad or something like that. Sorry, but I'm too damned tired to organize right now.

How about booze, Rhonda? It goes with everything, including giant screen frames.

7. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Well, it will definitely be ketchup and pickles!

8. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    What about cookies or pies or something?

9. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Hey, I just realized that Ghostbusters is set to play on September 11, and the top of the building in Ghostbusters blows up, and we know all about 9/11...

Just me being stupid finding an odd coincidence! LOL!

Oh, how the crazy minds of the terminally insane works...but, it makes me comfortable!

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Never even thought about that, Kev!

We have no desserts on the list, Rhonda, so if you want to bring some, then that would be a good thing.

11. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Cookies...pies..?

Lin drools...)

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Quick! Give that man a Twinkie before he starts convulsing.

Did you tell him about the Twinkie?

Just sent out a reminder to everyone to bring your skeeter repellant. It's gonna be bad. The Health Dept never showed up to my knowledge, and Dagobah still exists next door. If anyone has an X-wing to crash there, it would be perfectly appropriate for tomorrow's festivities.

See y'all in the morning. Taking a break from the Death Star and need to get my butt up and clean. It doesn't help that I stayed up almost all night sewing vinyl loops on the screen. All I could think while working with it was something Wedge said in ANH....

"Look at the size of that thing!"

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I got Little Debbie cakes (makes for easy transportable desserts) [face_batting]

I also got some extra hot dog buns and Polska Kielboska (I love these things)...

I'll bring a bottle of wine (or two or three) or something, too. It will only be Traci and I drinking probably. 8-}

I'll bring my jammies too.

[face_peace] out!

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I think tonight went quite well, don't y'all?

I was glad that it came together pretty smoothly. I had a great time, and am looking forward to the next one.

Now that I've hosed myself down, I'm taking my tired butt to bed.

15. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    That was the coolest thing I ever did when it comes to watching movies outside....I don't think you re-create an experience like the one we shared tonight!!!!! I had a blast and it all came together real well!!! Thanks for having me over and hope I did enough to help for next time :D !!!

Tonight was the neatest!!!

John T.

16. DexterMoon

DexterMoon Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2004
    I have to agree.. that was the coolest way I have EVER watched a movie at someone's house! I was sooo amazed..
    and it was nice to put faces to names I have been reading for these past few weeks.. yes, I admit it, I am a Lurker. (thought about starting a Lurker's Anonymous group, but I don't think anyone would say anything...)

I had a blast, Tim, thanks ever so much for inviting me. Ah'll Be Bahck! (apologies to Gov. Shwarzen-whatever)

and I have told my friends what a good time I had, so maybe they will allow me to kidnap them and drag them along next time!

Marcus

17. DexterMoon

DexterMoon Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2004
    oh! I almost forgot, I have a copy of Logan's Run on dvd, if by chance you ever need a substitute movie.. :) some nudity, no bad words. and we can all chant "Renew! Renew!" during the carousel scene..

and Free Enterprise should be arriving any day now..
    That is one funny movie! Shatner rapping Shakespeare is too hilarious..

Marcus

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who made last night possible. I have a lot of thank-you's, so I'll try not to ramble on like Halle Berry at the Academy Awards.

Well, at least I'll try not to cry.

Too much.

A big thanks goes out to my construction crew: Tim, Lin, Rhonda, Chris, Chuck, and Jay. Without them, y'all would've come over to something that looked like the Death Star in ROTJ!

Another round of thanks goes out to my heavy lifting crew. The blasted thing would still have been face-down on the ground if it weren't for them. Thanks, Lin, Kevin, Traci, and Tim!

Another thanks goes to my setup crew. Thanks, Rhonda, Traci, Lin, Tim, Kevin, Chuck, Trish, and John!

Thanks to Rhonda and John for cooking!

And finally, thanks to everyone for helping clean up afterwards. That really helped out tremendously! You have no idea how Traci and I appreciated that.

Looking forward to the next one!

-Tim

Oh, and now that the monstrosity is here to stay for a little while, we might as well make the most of it! If anyone has any suggestions for any additional movies, shout them out and we can schedule them!

Marcus: It was great seeing you again! I have the Logan's Run DVD, too. Maybe we could throw it on the list.

Oh, and you mentioned having some ideas about how to improve the sound. If you're willing to help set up for next month's movie night, I could always use the help.

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Tim, ya did it!

Had a great time, and the skeeters weren't near as bad as I thought! I'll try and see if I can't pick up some of that flag/banner strings to post around the tower and any exposed wires. The pvc helped, but it's still easy to trip over the wires in the grass. Now that the screen and tower are up hopefully the next one will go up even smoother. I really liked the pulleys and being able to take down the screen so easily.

If anyone took pictures, could you please email them to me or drop them on a disk. I want to send the Insider a little press release about Movie Night, and Billy Dee being our first Honorary Member.

We really had a great turnout. Looking forward to the next Drive-In!

PS- Traci, thanks for letting us invade your house again, and also for not shooting Tim when he came home with all that pvc!

20. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Tim and Tracy, Thanks SO much for a great night. That is ONE COOL MOVIE SCREEN!! I will forevermore laugh in the face of the braggers of their big screen tvs!

HA HA HA! (That's for the braggers!)

It was fun to hang out with everyone and see them all again!!

See ya soon!
    Kev

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    It ain't no big screen....

...It's a BIG OL' SCREEN!

Nothing beats seeing the Star Wars movies like the way they were meant to be seen!

I wanna watch Empire, y'all!

Oh.. I had a guy come to my door trying to sell educational toys and tools. The dude interrupted his presentation to ask about the "thing" in the back yard. I told him it was a frame for a movie screen. He said that he kinda wondered if maybe we were circus people or something, and had a trapeze set in our back yard.

22. DarthToddy

Jan 22, 2004
    TIM!!!

Should have told him it was your set-up to hang door-to-door salesman and jehovah witnesses!!! The neighborhood likes to hang them in fives, that's why there are five pullies!!!

LINE OF THE NIGHT!!!! "That's no moon....that's 'TIM'S SCREEN' "!!!!

John :D

23. DarthToddy

Jan 22, 2004
    Anyone have any pics from the night yet?!!?

John

24. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I've got a few still in my camera- I still have to make the leap into the 21st century and go fully digital. I took a few that morning with my cheapy dgital, but now I can't find it! Tim, did I leave it at your place?

I do have shots from the last two get togethers at Rhonda's. I'll try and get them to Tim for future posting.

25. DarthMule

Jun 6, 2003
    Lin, I think your camera is in a bag of SpiderMan stuff on my front door.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.