main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Drive You Mild (L/M, massive AU -- {Updated March 4!} Complete.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks for clicking. [face_batting]

Title: Drive You Mild
    Summary: How do two powerful, individualistic people who were formerly enemies unite? Emperor Luke Skywalker, meet Jedi Knight Mara Jade.
    Genre(s): Romance, political intrigue, drama.
    Author's Note: Cover art. Many thanks to Gabri for encouraging, thwacking, and threatening to chain me to my computer throughout the writing of this fic, as well as getting me to write it in the first place. The original idea of 'how does arranged marriage work, anyway?' really spawned out of control, but your glorious feedback kept me going. :p You then topped it off by beta'ing the whole thing in less than a week. [:D] You seriously rock, and this fic would not exist without you. ;) The title - well. :p Drive You Mild is the title it started off with, and I can't imagine calling it anything else.

I spent a year writing this story, and I personally consider it to be my masterpiece - the absolute best fanfiction I have ever written. It's long, complex, but, I hope, worth it. :) It's epic on a personal scale. ;) Since I wrote the story before posting, updates should be fairly regular (unless I find plot holes in the meantime :p ). I hope you enjoy, and here's the first post. :)

Oh! One last thing. :p This is my 100 fanfiction. ;)

Feedback is, as always and for eternity, adored. :D

The heavy cloak blocked everything out; it was dark, and all that could be heard was the high whistle of the fierce wind ? and all that could be felt was the warmth of the cloak and the harshness of the sand.

[hr]

[i]At the Battle of Corunlder the Rebellion suffered a massive, debilitating defeat.

It is imperative to understand the political landscape that caused such a battle to happen in the first place; in hindsight, the Rebellion?s success was not likely and it was a bad tactical move. However, Emperor Vader had just died and his son, Luke Skywalker, was young and untested at only nineteen years of age. It seemed a ripe time to deal the Empire a substantial blow by destroying one of their major shipyards.

The new, young Emperor had anticipated such a tactic, however, and with the advice of his military advisors and his own brilliance, the major blow became a major defeat. Surprise was lost, and the anticipated chaos of succession never occurred. In the first true act of his reign, Emperor Skywalker proved his ability to end the war his father had fought, and the war the first Emperor had propagated.

--- Annals of the Empire, Vol. III.[/i]

The place was incongruously known as the Porch, but when one looked at it, it could hardly even be called a room. The ceilings extended a dozen meters in height, with converging arches. The windows were visible as such only by thin, decorative lines spun through them. It was decorated in a lush red, and all of the furnishings were older than the occupants.

?My lord ??

?My decision is final,? Luke Skywalker said bluntly. He wasn?t even facing the man behind him ? he was staring out at the Imperial Gardens. They surrounded the Imperial Palace on Coruscant, muffling the hustle and bustle of the city-planet. They had every plant imaginable, procured from all corners of the galaxy and perfectly attended. This particular view had a sparkle of blue and violet plants set among dark green, lush leaves overlooking a pond with an unusually natural appearance.

Luke heard the sigh. ?Very well,? Luke said dryly, ?if it makes you feel better, present your arguments,? he said with a casual hand wave, meeting the dark brown eyes of his advisor.

His advisor was an older man, well into his sixties. Kejal Mauwel had a distinguished appearance ? white hair shorn short and a gravely chiseled face with dark eyes. Before Luke he had served Darth Vader, Luke?s father, and had done his job well; so well that when Palpatine was dethroned and executed, he took the place of Palpatine?s old majordomo. Besides his duties in that position, he ha

2. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I personally consider it to be my masterpiece - the absolute best fanfiction I have ever written.

Amen to that. :D

Absolutely thrilled to see this on the boards, oba. I heart it so. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

3. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Very cool...quite the untraditional AU

I hope you plan on putting some more background into this about how all of it happened. The background story looks like it will be just as interesting.

*adds to favorites*

Waiting for more!

Jes

4. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Oh, it's soo good!! I can't wait for more! *hop*

Mara Jade- calm jedi? serene? accepting an arranged marriage? what? This is going to be realllyy interesting!! Since she was raised differently in this fic, will she still have the same fire and ice kind of passion? I'm sooo intrigued!!

Great job!

5. RannOrgana

RannOrgana Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2004
    I LIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep going this is interesting

Just a quick question is Luke a Lightsider or a darksider? from the way he's keeping his birth name i'm assuming he's a lightsider.

Also where's Leia?

Rann Organa

6. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Oh... this looks interesting...

I think I'll stick around and see what happens...

7. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    It looks very interesting. The backstory is probably going to be even moreso. Lookin' forward to new chapters.

Hand

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    obaona, you know i love ya to pieces, right?

Let's see what I like about this story:

The advisor. Creative character, nice type to offset Luke because he seems kinda like a shadow of what Luke used to be.

Luke. He retains a lot of his character, but has a chilling edge to him slightly. I'm dying to see what exactly his real motivations for picking Ms. Jade are.

Mara/Mace. YAY! You got my two favorite Jedi to come together and they seem to complement each other nicely.

9. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Intriguing. I'm already hooked. More please. I can't wait to find out how all of this Emperor Skywalker, Jedi Knight Jade stuff came about and where you're going with this. My head is spinning with possibilities.

And it took a year to write. :eek: It must be good if you were willing to spend that much time on it.

10. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    LMAO Your thoughts on arranged marriages spawned out of control just like my obsession with "illicit" relationships and Jedi. Funny how that works. ;)

So far this is fascinating. Luke is a Sith Lord and Mara a Jedi--trained by Adi Gallia. She seems much more stoic so far, which makes me wonder if there is somewhat role reversal of the two characters. That is to say Mara will be more like Luke as we know him and Luke more like Mara.

Can't wait to see where you take this story. :D

Oh, I loved the cover art. :)

11. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    This is what I read at SJRS. I remember that this post really got my attention. Can't wait for more!

12. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    OMG, this story is going to be so cool.

What a major plot twist. After writeing 100 stories, how can you still come up with ideas like this?

13. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Woohoo! I'm so glad this is finally going, oba-girl! I'm in for the long run, no doubt! Been waiting for this one forever...

14. RannOrgana

Oct 2, 2004
    SJRS??????

does anyone have a link to that?

Rann Organa

15. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Yay another oba fic! And it's your 100th! Congrats!!

I cannot wait for more.

So...er...more. soon.

16. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Oh, wow.

This looks awesome. I love the role reversal with Mara as the Rebel hero and Luke as the bad guy.

I particularly enjoyed this:
    ?My feather is dead, Kejal,?

17. RannOrgana

Oct 2, 2004
    i was wondering if anyone alse would pick up on that.

"My feather is dead"!!!!!!!!

hahahahaha that's the funniest thing i've ever seen on these boards.

Rann Organa

18. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    Well...I'm thinking that the nameless evil, or whatever the exact phrasing, is the 'vong. And, where, exactly, are the Chiss in all this? Militaristic government says some interesting things... Leia and Han are either dead or running around somewhere...

And I like the title. Very cute.

Elena

19. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Cool, you've written more to that teaser. This looks very interesting and totally different. Can't wait to see the backstory to how things turned out this way.

20. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    I clicked on this earlier today, but before I even got past the title, I realized I didn't have enough time to read it. I was utterly delighted to come back and discover this is not just a vignette! [face_dancing] Although you do some of the best vignettes, there's nothing quite like the anticipation of a new post to a longer story. ;)

I'm very interested to see what differences in character the AU upbringings have wrought. *is patiently waiting for more*

21. green_eyes

green_eyes Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 20, 2004
    I usually Lurk on your stories, but since I have managed to get in on the first post, I will make an effort to give feedback as you move along.
    This is a very intriging story idea. I can't wait to see how it plays out.
    Luke the Emperor and Mara the Jedi hero; and an arranged marriage, promises to be very exciting.

*green_eyes*

22. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    *hearts oba and hearts story and hearts this beginning* :* [:D] [face_love]

You know how much I love my evil!Lukie. [face_blush] And I really want to see more ... so I'll be keeping an eye on you!!

*is sorry she can't do the coherent response thing right now, but thinks it would be at least polite to leave a response so she isn't totally lurking* [face_blush]

=D= @};- [face_good_luck]

23. Jeditheskyisblue

Jeditheskyisblue Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Just find this and I'm hooked can't wait for more. Is Leia in this story as Luke's twin sister?

24. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Gabri_Jade: [:D] First post! :p :D

Jesina_Dreis: The background of the story is explored through the Annals and how it effects current events. ;) But yeah, the background would be a story in and of itself. :p I plan on updating soon. ;) Thanks for reading. :D

AvenKiel: Luke and Mara have different backgrounds here, so they will act differently - but Gabri says that it's a reasonable characterization, and thus, it is so. 8-} But yeah, Mara will still have some of the same personality characteristics. Thank you, and I hope you like the next post, too. :D

RannOrgana: Tsk tsk, I can't answer questions like that! ;) You have to read the story. I'll say this: the characters are the same, the situations are different. The rest you'll have to wait for. [face_batting] Thank you. :)

RedGold: Hope to see you next time. ;)

HandofSkywalker86: Well, the backstory is just that - the backstory. There's plenty happening in the present. :p Thank you. :D

DarthIshtar: Aww! [:D] Interesting that you comment on Kejal - he's a secondary character, but he is rather important and he's always there. [face_thinking] I'm glad Luke retains a lot of his character, but with a chilling edge - that's what I was going for. :D And surely you know I can't answer that! :p Unfortunately Mace isn't in the story a whole lot - he makes appearances, but not many. Of course, Mara plays a huge role. [face_batting] Thank you! @};-

Jedi_BMK: You don't exactly find out quickly - this wasn't written to be split into posts (or with chapters, beyond the division of the Annals), so . . . yeah. :p I'm glad you like so far. :D Thank you.

Yes, a whole year. I actually managed to work it out that I finished it exactly a year from when I started it. :cool: I put a lot of effort into this one.

Jedikma: Yes. :eek: There is somewhat of a role reversal, but I hope their characters nevertheless remain very them in the process. I wouldn't say that I'm having Luke act like Mara or vice versa, but rather that their circumstances make them act differently.

Thanks. @};- I like the cover art, too. ;) I hope you like where I take it!

StarFighter5: That was the teaser, but yes. ;) Thanks!

Mira_Jade: [face_blush] Thanks! And I really have no idea. This was something that germinated in my head for quite a while before I wrote it down. ;)

EmilieDarklighter: LOL, I hope it's worth the wait. It's really about the interaction of Luke and Mara, when you get down to the core of it. :D Thanks! [:D]

RannOrgana: o_O I only posted a teaser over there - actually I posted this post. You aren't trying to cheat, are you? :eek:

Mirax-Jade: Thanks! @};- I imagine I'll be posting tomorrow sometime.

Smuggler_Shidakis: Thank you. I thought it would be fun to play with, and boy it was! [face_mischief] And what? I have no idea what you're talking about. O:)

RannOrgana: Hmm? [face_innocent] And there are plenty of *coughpurposelycough* funny stories out there. [face_batting]

Elena: I'm not saying anything, though you may continue with your theories. [face_mischief] H/L dead or running around? Perhaps. O:) LOL, the title I came up when the story was still fairly short. 8-} Thank you.

RebelMom: Thank you. @};- It's certainly like nothing I have ever written before, and Gabri, at least, loves it. :p

Leia: Aye, I know! Especially when you know the story is finished, so you aren't going to be left hanging - definitely my worst fear with reading excellent, but longer stories. :p I do write many vignettes, and this was actually supposed to only be about 30 pages - ahem, it's more like five times that. 8-}

I hope you like how I handled the characters, given their very different circumstances. :) Thank you! [face_coffee]

green_eyes: Isn't de-lurking a nice feeling? [face_mischief] Thank you. And yes, we

25. RannOrgana

Oct 2, 2004
    Please, please just give me the link i am NOT trying to cheat but if theres more posted there of course i'll read it.

please linky for SJRS

thank you

Rann Organa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.