Beyond Drive You Mild (L/M, massive AU -- {Updated March 4!} Complete.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. JediTristan Jedi Master

star 3
    O yeah.

That's fine, we lit majors tend to start conspiring and giggling in snarky voices...you don't wanna go there.

Being an American writer is definitely no shame, it's just that we are so cliched its not even funny (the whole 'great American novel' thing.). I, for one, don't appreciate it.

I also am a big anglophile, so American literature doesn't really appeal to me anyway.

George Lucas loves London, why can't I?

-Tris

EDIT: just because I love being an anglophile does NOT mean I get to randomly capitalize it. Bad littite! Bad!
  2. Marawannabe Force Ghost

star 4
    Sorry oba, I am also an American, born in Oklahoma, bred in Texas, bound for New York as soon as I graduate from college. ;) I think you are a very talented writer, and I hope that you keep at it for many years to come, it is obvious that you are quite passionate about it, something which is wonderful and sometimes sorely lacking in "professional" literature.

As for Henry James, he was an American author in the... 1700's if I'm not mistaken. He wrote the short story "Daisy Miller" and "The Turn of the Screw"... I know Daisy for sure, I think he wrote the latter also, could be wrong, I shall need to check for you. If you haven't studied him in highschool, don't worry. If you take American Lit in college you'll hear plenty about him then. ;)
  3. Master_Kiona Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh wow! I just finished this story, and it was wonderful!! I love the way the characters were protrayed. Simply wonderful! Keep up the good work! :)
  4. JediKlea Jedi Master

star 3
    Stupendous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    JediTristan: Er, okay. :p Great American novel? I guess I find that kind of silly. It should just be good, period. :p :p

Marawannabe: Thank you. ;) I am passionate about my writing, but I don't take it too seriously. (I hate it when people take art too seriously. I love art and writing, and it's great, but sometimes I think the enjoyment factor gets lost when it's taken too seriously. :p )

Should I be scared of American Lit? :eek:

Master_Kiona: Thank you. :D I'm glad you liked it, and hopefully I can keep up the good work! :p

JediKlea: And huge thanks. @};-
  6. Gabri_Jade VIP

VIP
    star 5
    I wanted to let you know that this story has been featured in the Review Challenge, dearest. :D It'll always be one of my very favorites. [:D]
  7. Stargazer-19 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I know it's kinda late, but I just found this story and I had to tell you how great I think it is! I really like all of your stories and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!
  8. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    Gabri: Thanks, dearest. [:D] I know it is. :p

Stargazer-19: Not late at all. ;) I'm late with replies, though. 8-} I'm glad you liked this :D , and I hope you enjoy whatever it is I do next. ;) [:D] Thank you. @};-
  9. Killik_Twilight Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked your story, too - I lurked for a while, gave in and read all of the posts in order, and now I'm replying.

Very good! I loved this 'fic!

KT
  10. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    Killik_Twilight: LOL, that's funny. :p And thank you. :D I'm glad you liked it. ;) @};-
  11. ari_stormset Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi! Lurked the whole thread through, but that's 'cause I didn't start reading until AFTER the whole dang thing was posted!
    Gorgeous story...it spoke more of the recovery of an abuse victim than much else,to me. Luke was an amazingly dynamic person, and it makes me wish I coudl write that well... I get good ideas, but lack that kind of finesse.
    Loved the "Annals of the Empire" excerpts, but I have to wonder--when was it written, that there's a "Volume I," which implies a "Volume II, III, etc."? And I DO have to regret the lack of "Solo-ness" in the story--Han's my second favorite character.
    You guys were so mean to Jacen in the earlier discussions!!! You made him out to be some kind of Star Wars-era hippie, for goodness' sake!!! he went through a lot; compartively, you could say that if Jacen's a hippie, Luke's a manipulative little crinzlit.
    And...(sniffles)...I like him. ~_^ ;P

Peace~ Ari-san.

Also responding to an earlier thread of discussion... The NJO was paced well, I thought. Most wars are fought with some kind of plan, but when the legislative branch of government grows out of proportion or forgets its origins, the whole thing gets screwed up.
    I'm unsure what to think of the Jedi Council...it definitely was displaying the symptoms of decay; close-mindedness, no matter how it's born, will eventually lead to death. (This is sort of what Jacen's whole point was.)
    Historically, an empire, run by one man, effectively accomplishes the goals of the ruler best--but then you have the whole problem with, "what's that man's goal?" You have this running counterpoint to the fact that a man is ONLY a man, and only human regardless of what kind of strength he has, and you lose the stability that originally spawned the empire, and it collapses.

^-^ That line about falling reminded me of a Josh Groban song. hee.
  12. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    ari_stormset: *stretches fingers* [face_mischief]

Hehe, I know how that goes - finding stories much later. ;) And yes, I suppose it does. That part of the story was very important to me, but I didn't want to emphasize it directly, just the effect it had on Luke's life and behavior. (If you look for it, there are a lot of instances where it does.)

And hey. ;) I have no idea how I wrote this story. 8-}

The number of Annals is not actually random - if you look, there are I, II, III, and at the end, V. (That one is actually a mistake, and should be IV.) The way I see it, Annal I covers the first ten years of the Empire (and therefore of Luke's life), II the next ten years, and so on. So the last one should be IV because the Vong attack when Luke is in his forties. :p Make sense? ;) I never really explain it, but I did figure that out before hand.

Jacen - eh, personal taste. [face_mischief] I think he might be fun to write - just to write him the way I think he should be, I suppose (ever the motive of a fanfic writer).

I can understand, with the NJO, that things do get messed up that way - but when it comes to what battles to cover, which ones to just mention, that's the direct choice of the writer, and that's why I think the pacing is not so great. (I could have covered all sorts of meaningless things in this story, that happen and are 'important', but it's a matter of choosing what scenes are going to be the most effective when.) It just wasn't organized enough from the beginning, with so many authors contributing. IMHO, of course. :p

Fortunately for the Empire Luke's goal is a good one. [face_mischief] And fortunately, he's planned ahead for his own death. (Though not necessarily his own mistakes [face_mischief] bad Lukie.)

Anywho. :p Glad you enjoyed. :D
  13. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Oooh, obaona, I was a lurker, but now I must speak. :) :p

Simply a fantastic masterpiece! :D
  14. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    Idrelle_Miocovani: Another one? :eek: :p Doesn't it feel all nice and bright and spacious out here? [face_mischief] :p Thank you. :D I'm glad you think so! @};-
  15. JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master

star 3
    Had to drop in one more time to tell you how much I LOVED this story still!!!! Still going to have to ask you for a round two. I am tired of all the Jacen, Jaina, etc. stories. You are the best!!!!
  16. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    JEDIFLYSWATTER: Hehe, thank you. [face_blush] [:D] Sequel - not out of the question [face_mischief] , but I have other priorities right now, including medical concerns. ;)

And I agree, there just ain't enough L/M fics in the world. :p
  17. Saber-of-Light Jedi Master

star 4
    'Allo, Oba! I'm in the process of reading (and I'm liking what I'm reading, very much), and I caught this typo in your January 21 post:

The defendants ? the Vaderians who had tried to bomb the Palace ? sat huddled together miserably. Their leaders were gone, mysteriously dead, and they would soon be convicted and executed. For all of that, though, they shot the military panel looks of distaste and defiance.

I'm not sure if this board lets you edit your posts anymore after 90 minutes- I've been gone for a while, and the workings are unfamiliar to me- but hee, for future reference anyway.

And now, to continue reading!
  18. Saber-of-Light Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah- couldn't resist this remark: The 'Annals of the Empire' excerpts appearing at the beginning of each post remind me of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

"The Guide has this to say on Luke Skywalker..."
  19. Saber-of-Light Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah. Aha. I am done reading.

Asljfhslkgjhal utter brilliance. It's flooring, really.

-waves L/M flag cheerily-
  20. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    Saber-of-Light: I can edit posts forever! :p But I'm not really concerned about typos. Originally as I went along I corrected typos when I found them, but after a while I just didn't have time. :p So my Word doc of this story is corrected (and the Archive submission), but just not here.

Most people found the Annals reminded them of Dune - you just had to be different, didn't you? [face_mischief] :p Actually, that's interesting you think that, because the Annals aren't just a commentary on Luke. ;) Sometimes they'll also echo things that happen in the story, rather than just being an info-dump, too. :p

I'm glad you liked the story. Thank you. :D
  21. Jaded_Girl Jedi Master

star 4
    *kicks thread up in time for the Summer Fanfic Nominations...* [face_mischief]

:D GO OBA!!! *waves little flags* [face_peace]

This is such a fantastic story, Oba! I still go off about it sometimes... especially when I'm trying to convince my brother to take the time to read it. (He's been drastically seduced by Darth RealLife... [face_frustrated] ) Still, I continue to categorize this story as "utterly amazing". Occasionally spinning sequel scenarios in my head still keep me pleasantly occupied during slow work hours. And what's even better, I think of it whenever I look at the jacket of my "The Memory of Trees" Enya CD! ^_^
  22. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    Jaded_Girl: *giggles* :p Thank you. :D

And thank you again. [face_blush] I'm happy that you like it so much, that you've been able to reread it and enjoy it. :D That it be good for a reread was important to me, because I love rereading, myself. :p Ah yes, the cover art ... what can I say? I needed a throne, and that ended up working. :p [:D] Pity about your brother, though. [face_mischief]

[:D]

23. WynssaStarflare Jedi Master

star 4
    I just wanted to delurk real quick to tell you what a wonderful story this is. While you were writing this, I would eagerly anticipate the updating of this story Sorry that I didn't delurk last week like I was supposed to, but I didn't see this thread. Anyway great job. :d
    --Wynssa
  24. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    WynssaStarflare: Awww. *hugs delurker* Thank you! :D I'm glad you delurked, no matter the week that you did so. ;) [:D] I'm really glad you liked the story. :D
  25. obaona Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd like to say thank you to whomever nominated this story in the Awards. @};- It is very much appreciated - and flattering, o'course. [:D]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.