main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Drive You Mild (L/M, massive AU -- {Updated March 4!} Complete.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I'm in a hurry, so...

Luke and Mara don't seem worried, but everyone else is. I like Kejal. He seems wise.

I can't wait for more.

2. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Being Emperor isn't all fun and games. It's a lot of work, too! I like seeing Luke doin' his job: it's interesting to see the differences between his methods and what I imagine Palpatine's would be in the same instance. Stunning the acolytes (twice even) and then posting guards, as opposed to just killing them. I think it's realistic that you've made his rule more...benevolent, to an extent.

This story (thus far, anyway) has a very calm, rational feel to it. Mara is quite serene, as befits a Jedi. Luke is, too, which is actually similar to profic Luke in a way, but with that whole "I'm a Sith Lord" edge to it. ;)

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Adi is wonderful! She brings warmth and humor and love to the mix. It will be interesting to see how Mara and Luke react to each other, if they will have that chemistry. [face_devil]

So the Dune thing wasn't my imagination? Good, I'd hate to feel silly. :p

Another amazing chapter, loving this story!

4. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    *ooohs* and *ahhhs*

I love how Luke and Mara are so certain... The acolytes amused me too. Definitely remind me of Dune.

The annals at the beginning are good, too.

5. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Gah. Things are afoot methinks!!

6. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, I really can't wait to see the first meeting between these two now. I can see them both trying to play it so cool. :p

I love this version of Luke-so in command and calculating. He's incredible!

More soon!

7. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Ooh, people think Vader's coming back from the dead? o_O *glances at her s/n* Maybe I should go an join the club, I wouldn't feel too out of place ...

I enjoyed the descriptions of their offices, just that little snippet of life. And "Get rid of it all" just seems like such a Vader statement. :p

Still wanting to know what happened to Han and Leia and why Luke seems so reasonable compared to the rest of the Sith. :p Because, you know, from what I'm reading he doesn't really sound all that evil at all.

Shall eagerly wait for more. :D

- Elli, the somewhat coherent version with a new sig line

8. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    LOL at the thought of Elli being part of the Vaderian acolyte group! [face_laugh] *huggles somewhat coherent Elli* [:D]

The thought of Luke calmly and busily disordering all his documents still makes me laugh every time I read that part. :D

?Let them stay there for an hour, then ask them to leave. If they don?t, stun them and drag them out,? Luke ordered briskly, instantly, not looking up from what he was reading ? or even pausing.

LOL! He's such a remarkably efficient Emperor. :p

?It?s not unreasonable,? Mara said softly.

?It?s insane,? Adi said in agreeable tone.

I love Adi saying that so agreeably. :D

It had been eleven years since he had given the Republic a major blow ? when it was then the Rebellion, at Corunlder. But no one had forgotten it, and no one could fail to note how well he ruled, how well he countered their every move, and how well he had kept them out of the Empire.

Skywalker was no longer a child, and he hardly been more than one at Corunlder. But the Republic had grown as well, and however he planned on making the Republic pay for the trade agreements and ceasing of hostilities, he wasn?t going to get away with it.

*bounces happily* :D :D :D

9. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    He was revered by many even after his death.
    That line is...chilling...

I love this! Absolutely amazing!

You left it off perfectly...and now I want more.

Jes

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Luke seems so calm for a Sith, but then I always think of Vader as the Sith example. The cults were funny and I do like that Luke isn't bloodthirsty. Luke and Mara's meeting should be very interesting.

11. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Wonderful, dearest. Luke is a creepier Sith than Vader. I always thought he would be, simply because Anakin, even though he had independence, was looking for a leader to follow.

"The problem is, that people don't always agree."

"Then they should be made to."

"By whom? Who's going to make them?" You?"

"No, of course not me. But someone. Someone wise."

Luke, on the other hand, has independence without looking for someone to guide him. He has Padmé's tendency to take control of any situation. That, combined with Anakin's temper and Force-strength, doesn't make for another Vader--it makes for another Palpatine.

Marvelous characterization, dearest. I can't wait for more!

12. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    DarthIshtar: Thank you. ;) I wanted to show them both kind of - dealing with what was to come. :)

HandofSkywalker86: You keep asking questions I can't answer. ;) O:) And sparring match? Who says they'll have one? [face_batting] And thanks - I'm glad it's getting better and better. :D

Mira_Jade: Thank you. :D And it's never too soon. ;)

academygrad88: Thank you. :D

Jedi_BMK: LOL! :p :D I think it's understandable their friends/advisors are so worried. It's not unjustified. ;) And thank you. :D

StarFighter5: Which is funny, because really, they have the most to worry about. I'm glad you like Kejal - I like him, too. :D Thank you!

Leia: I actually really enjoyed writing Luke at his job. :eek: I've always wondered what kind of ruler Luke would make, and this is my take on the situation. I do think there would be a lot of work involved - Luke would want to do things right (whatever he may think that is ;) ). As far as stunning the acolytes as opposed to killing them, that's not necessarily compassion on his part - but rather being more aware of what just killing them would do to his image.

It's interesting you say that it has that kind of feeling - I hadn't ever thought about it that way before. But you're right - in a sense, both of these characters are calmer and more in control than they're canon selves. Thanks for reading! :D

VaderLVR64: Thank you. :D Adi was a fun character to play with. Not much is really known about her, so I just did whatever I wanted with her character. :p Luke and Mara's interactions will be intense, I think I can say that much. [face_mischief] Thank you! :D

Smuggler_Shidakis: *laughs* Thank you. :D The Annals were fun to do. ;)

Mirax-Jade: [face_mischief] Indeed.

kayladie97: LOL, good reading of the situation. :p I loved writing Luke in this story - Luke is intelligent, and I think this, given the circumstances, is a reasonable way he would have turned out. :D Thank you!

Elli: LMAO. [face_laugh] You'd feel a little out of place. [face_mischief] I won't say anything more. O:) For the first half of the story, I start out every scene with description. Description isn't something I often do, so it was a neat exercise.

There's a reason why Luke acts like he does. You just haven't gotten far enough into the story to see it yet. :p Thank you, dearest. [face_love]

Gabri: What can I say? That's just the mental image I got from the idea. :p And yes, Luke is very efficient. ;)

*huggles*

Jesina_Dreis: [face_blush] Thank you. :D And consider how much we admire (okay, maybe 'respect' is a better word) Vader - why wouldn't the GFFA feel the same way? :)

RebelMom: I think a calm Sith is a smart Sith. Losing your temper helps you lose - controlled rage is the way to go, but who can sustain that for a long period of time? And yes, their meeting will be interesting. [face_mischief]

Emmi: Oooh. I like that you think he's a creepier Sith. [face_dancing] I think you're right about Anakin/Vader, though I hadn't thought of it that way before. I think he wanted someone who lead him, that he could agree with - that would give him what he wanted, not necessarily what he needed.

Luke, on the other hand, has independence without looking for someone to guide him. He has Padmé's tendency to take control of any situation. That, combined with Anakin's temper and Force-strength, doesn't make for another Vader--it makes for another Palpatine.

Very true. ;) Which is why I think he'd make such a capable, scary Emperor. And he isn't going to make Palpy's mistakes, either. O:) Thank you, dearest! [:D]

13. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    That, combined with Anakin's temper and Force-strength, doesn't make for another Vader--it makes for another Palpatine.
    Emilie...I'm going to be looking at him like that from now on.
    That idea chills me as well!

Jes

14. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Jesina_Dreis: [face_devil] [face_devil]

Next post - a nice long one. ;) Feedback is, as always, appreciated. @};- I hope everyone enjoys. :) *waves at lurkers, too*

[i]Social customs changed very little during the transition of power from the Old Republic to the Empire and during the Empire?s rule. Culture changes over time, and while upheaval might speed the process along and influence the way that change goes, it still takes time ? and usually, a new generation.

--- Annals of the Empire, Vol. I.[/i]

For the first time in thirty years, a Jedi stepped on Coruscant with the Empire?s full knowledge and permission. Mara Jade breathed deeply as she walked down the ramp of the Republic vessel ? not because the air of Coruscant was anything special, but because it was [i]Coruscant[/i]. From space, it had glittered like a multi-faceted, metallic jewel. There were even patterns to the way the lights shone, subtle curves suggested by the placing of buildings.

While the vessel she had arrived on was one of the Republic?s military vessels, Mara was not in her uniform. Instead she wore a dark green dress that served to emphasize her femininity. Adi had helped her in its choosing, as the Emperor?s servants had asked her to wear something besides her uniform, at least for the initial meeting on Coruscant, when the Empire would get their first look at her. After a brief spat with Adi, though, Mara kept her red hair tightly braided. The break was quickly mended when Adi mentioned how she had never expected to be in this position ? virtually that of a mother watching her daughter marry.

Adi had found Mara as a young teenager living on a Mid-Rim world in the Empire. She was Force-sensitive, and the local police were catching onto the fact because she was instinctively and foolishly using her powers. Just in little ways, but the detectives who investigated Mara?s petty crimes were quite astute. When Adi found her, she realized the girl was in danger, and took her to the Rebellion and as her apprentice. That was how Mara found herself in the Rebellion ? and how she found herself destroying a battle moon with a hastily formed squadron. Mara was a decent pilot, but it was the Force ? and her training and knowledge of it ? that allowed her to make the crucial shot that destroyed the Death Star.

Ironic that that act would eventually lead her here ? as someone suitable as a consort for an Emperor.

While they were marrying ? and would be husband and wife ? the terms of the marriage had been carefully spelled out. Mara would not be Empress, though she would have a title of nobility, and any attempt at succeeding the Emperor would be illegal and punishable by death. To Mara?s relief, the only thing it said about children was that any children born of the marriage would be considered Skywalker?s alone ? but it also implicitly stated that children were not required of the union. It also stated that if she had a child by someone else, it would be considered illegitimate, not Skywalker?s child; punishment for contaminating the line of succession was not stated. Dissolution of the treaty would also mean divorce, though it did not say what would happen if vice versa occurred. It appeared Skywalker wanted to keep his options open, but most everything of great import was there.

As Mara had said, it wasn?t a bad contract.

But [i]being[/i] here . . . Mara shivered and resolutely walked the rest of the way to the Imperial Palace platform. Even the platform, she noted, was elaborately and stunningly made. Roughly circular, everything was in curves sharply defined.

To say there was a crowd around the area was an understatement. Below the platform, Mara would see thousands of people. Coruscant being what it was, there wasn?t much surface room for walking around, and so even more people crowded on nearby platforms. She even saw people smashed up against windows in apartment buildings. She had no idea how many people there were, but certainly in the tens of thousands present ? and Force knew how many w

15. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004

He looked quite casual, not at all formal ? or evil, for that matter.

[face_laugh]

I sense a lot of verbal sparring in the future between Luke and Mara.

I loved their meeting!

Wonderful.

16. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Chastising herself for her lack of proper calm
    Yeah, that sounds like Mara...

?I like the simplicity.?
    I thought that was a perfect thing for the first words between them

Mara knew her reputation for a temper ? and considering the Empire probably had a few spies in the Republic, he probably did too. ?I understand,? she said simply, repressing the urge to shoot off a few sarcastic comments about Imperial dignitaries.
    Yup...she's still Mara.
    I'm sure she could make a few sarcastic comments about the dignitaries on her side as well

?You have known me for nearly twenty years; am I my father?s heir in all ways??
    I sincerely hope not...a good observation from Luke, though. I like the image I'm getting of him from this.

She and Adi were quite bemused by that, and asked if Mara was actually permitted to wear the lightsaber during the ceremony. They were even more bemused at the affirmative they received.
    That's very interesting to note...

Great post!!!

Jes

17. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Very interesting. This Luke doesn't really seem to be evil, just... [face_thinking] What's the word I'm looking for? I don't know, but I find him rather intriguing. Looking to some big picture know one sees but him.

I also find it interesting how unnerved he made Mara, since we know that doesn't happen often. Interesting glimpse into her past in this chapter, as well as Luke's. Can't wait to see where you go next with this.

18. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Wonderful, wonderful! I love the pacing of this story. Not too fast, not too slow. I'm beginning to wonder about Luke. Something "more common"? Maybe he had a crush on her from the start, eh?

And I'm not even convinced that's really, truly on the Dark Side. You're good a keeping us guessing, that's for sure. I can't wait until the next post!

Emmi

19. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    "Snuggle in public"? *laugh* What a Mara thing to say. :p

Intriguing. [face_thinking] Looking forward to more, as always, and off to PM you with random nothingness. :D

20. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    As some who has a degree in History, I really like the way you put the Annals and how you wrote them. Wonderful touch that I'm enjoying!

I do have one question, and I'm sorry if you've answered it already, I just haven't had time to read anything other then your actual posts... but where is Leia or does she not exist in this AU?

21. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    Hey, Obaona! :)

I missed this story!!!!!!!!!! When I check and see three chapters... :eek: Sometimes I am blind...

Anyway it's a great story! I loved the plot twist, the reversal of the roles Luke/Empire Mara/Rebelion-destroying-DeathStar and the arranged marriage has great pontencial for romance! ;) Although I am not very sure about Luke's darkness, more like grey seems to me, but I'll have to wait and see where you lead it...

Luke's feeling has to do with the Vong? You probably not going to tell me...

And what happened to Leia and Han? Or they don't exist there?

I loved L/M first meeting! He like her (her hair!!! ;) ) and she is curious! I think he won the first bet! Made a woman curious... :D

I can't wait for more! Please post soon.

And loved the cover art and the title!

22. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow! This story is fantastic! I have read some Dark Luke stories, but I like how you are doing this. It is like Sith Lite.

I anxiously await an update. :D

AG88

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    It was said that while Vader was away fighting Palpatine?s war, it was this man who raised Luke Skywalker. That alone was reason for Mara to be wary. Ah, Luke had a good tutor for running the universe.
    He looked quite casual, not at all formal ? or evil, for that matter. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Satan was a beautiful angel before his fall.
    ?Can we skip the banal niceties?? Mara shot back. There's the Mara we all know and love.
    Mara knew her reputation for a temper ? and considering the Empire probably had a few spies in the Republic, he probably did too. ?I understand,? she said simply, repressing the urge to shoot off a few sarcastic comments about Imperial dignitaries. But it would be so fun for her to do it. ;)
    Skywalker smiled. Mara found herself surprised by it ? it was simple, light, no complications in his expression of amusement. She had expected something more sinister. He's certainly not what she expected.
    ?Was that a compliment? We?re not friends, we?re having an arranged marriage,? Mara said acidly.

Skywalker?s amused expression faded, and Mara felt a stab of ? something. ?Not friends, perhaps, but allies, I would hope.?
    Maybe Luke wants more.
    Allies? They were enemies forced into a difficult situation. ?You are an odd man,? Mara replied, letting her hand drop as her confusion only increased. An odd Sith Lord. I immediately thought about Padme's comment to Anakin. Luke is certainly not your average Sith.
    ?We must be allies if this is to work, Kejal,? Luke said quietly. ?I do not think I?ll be able to play a game with her. I?ll have to bring her to my side, at least partially.?

Kejal paused, struggling to find the appropriate words. ?My lord, I do not doubt you, but ??

?I have no intention of turning her,? Luke said, truly amused now by the misconception. ?You have known me for nearly twenty years; am I my father?s heir in all ways??
    Luke certainly knows the value of compromise and team work. It is nice to know he isn't planning on "corrupting" her.
    Lord Vader had been a Sith Lord; Luke had merely the skills of one. Kejal knew the difference, as he had first seen it during the very last few years of Vader?s life. But it was even more emphasized in Luke. that explains alot about Luke.
    Kejal nodded. ?If I may ask, my lord, what did Lady Jade think of you??

Luke looked at Kejal in surprise, and then turned contemplative. ?I think I unnerved her,? he said decisively.
    Yeah, I think he did.
    ?It?s all right, Master. I don?t trust him, or what he says. But he?s a puzzle . . . and I won?t have much else to do for six months but figure him out.? that ought to be fun.
    [/i]They kissed lightly, and his lips were warm and dry; it was not hard to put a pleasant look on her face. He had a similarly pleasant expression.[/i] At least they aren't disgusted with each other.

It was nice getting more background on the two.

24. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    I love this story, obaona :D I usually lurk on your stories (that are mostly vignettes). I'm glad to see that this is a looong story :D

I loved the cover art and (especially) the title. [face_love] :)

Can't wait for more ;)

25. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Apologies in advance for the long post!

The story is getting very interesting already...

Liked the comaprison between their offices in the second post - says a lot about their respective personalities.

The meeting between Luke and Mara was very, very interesting indeed. Luke is so... cool as Emperor. Just... cool. :p I agree, he would make a great Emperor.

?You better not be saying we have to snuggle in public,? Mara said with a snort.

[face_laugh] Oh, this is soo Mara.

He laughed. If Mara had been surprised by his smile, she was immediately caught by his laugh. Why did she have the feeling it was a laugh without pretenses? He made a slight movement with his wrist, and Mara lost her grip as if she was trying to hold water. ?You have lovely hair,? Skywalker said at last.

?Was that a compliment? We?re not friends, we?re having an arranged marriage,? Mara said acidly.

Skywalker?s amused expression faded, and Mara felt a stab of ? something. ?Not friends, perhaps, but allies, I would hope.?

[face_thinking] Oooh, now this was very interesting.

Lord Vader had been a Sith Lord; Luke had merely the skills of one.

This tells us a lot about Luke...

Wonderful wedding ceremony, also. Loved the kiss.

They kissed lightly, and his lips were warm and dry; it was not hard to put a pleasant look on her face. He had a similarly pleasant expression.

Come on guys, admit it... you both liked it. ;) Incredible job, obaona! I love the way you're doing the characters, and the interplay between them. Can't wait for the next post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.