main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Drive You Mild (L/M, massive AU -- {Updated March 4!} Complete.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    What a wonderfully long post! I did my happy little dance move when I saw there was an update[face_dancing]

I have to say that the first meeting proved to be very interesting. He got her atttention right from the start, and As Adi thought it seems that it will get her into some trouble in the future.

Mara? Holding her tongue?[face_laugh] I'm sure there will some slip ups. Also: he complemented her hair. That made me smile.

I liked how the wedding was simple and that Mara could wear her lightsaber. The dress seems gorgeous.

They kissed lightly, and his lips were warm and dry; it was not hard to put a pleasant look on her face.

I bet it was. :p

2. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! That was a long chapter. :D

Loved the first meeting and the wedding. :)

I'm really enjoying this story. :)

3. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Wow... wonderful update!!!

I really enjoyed their mental sparring as well as Luke showing off his reflexes. His abilities left me wondering just how powerful he is.

For some odd reason Emporer Skywalker seems like a mix between Paul Atreides and Darth Revan.

I'd have loved to seen a confrontation between Yoda or Obi and Luke.

Keep up the great work.

Hand

4. Senator_Leia73

Senator_Leia73 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Yea they finally got married! I wonder what will happen now that they are married and what kind of conflicts they are going to have.

I cant wait for more :D

5. The_Good_Twin

The_Good_Twin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, I always wondered how it would be if Luke was Emperor. And on top of that Mara is a Jedi!! That's so exciting! :D

Skywalker looked at her mildly. Did he ever do anything that wasn?t mild, for Force sake?- And now the question is: does Mara drive Luke mild or does Luke drive Mara mild??! I wonder... ;)

They kissed lightly, and his lips were warm and dry;it was not hard to put a pleasant look on her face. He had a similarly pleasant expression. - Awwww. [face_love]

Great story so far! :D

6. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Oh, I love long posts! [face_love]

Lord Vader had been a Sith Lord; Luke had merely the skills of one.

Very, very interesting... Excellent distinction.

I can't wait to see more L/M interaction: I'm interested in how their chemistry will have changed from the profic.

7. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I must be as blind as Lena. I can't believe I missed this when scanning thru the boards lately. But, this gave me the great opportunity to read all the current posts at once. And they were fantastic!! Loved the role reversals, and how Luke's nature as a Sith is so surprising, both to Mara and to us, the readers. "Sith-Lite" as someone called him!

Looking forward to more!!! :D :D :D

8. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    ::claps hands together::

This is getting exciting![/singsong]

I love the detail! More precioussss more!

:p

9. Jeditheskyisblue

Jeditheskyisblue Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    So it begins.

10. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Methinks readers have an undeservedly charitable opinion of dear Lukie. ;)

Smuggler_Shidakis: Your feelings serve you well, young Jedi. ;) Thank you. :D

Jesina_Dreis: One of things I really enjoyed doing with this story is giving lines double meanings that don't make sense until viewed in the proper context. ;) I'm glad Mara is still Mara, and Luke - well. [face_mischief] Glad you're liking, and thank you. :D

Jedi_BMK: Good, he's supposed to be intriguing. :p In a certain sense, much of this story is done from Mara's perspective, not Luke. Of course, to a certain degree Luke doesn't understand himself any better than we, the reader, do. [face_thinking]

I introduce their respective pasts pretty slowly. And yes, he unnerved Mara, but she returns the favor soon. ;) Thank you. @};-

Emmi: I wanted this story to be paced like a novel. It's tempting with these boards to fool with the pacing of a story so it fits better being read in sections. In this one, things are introduced in the beginning that aren't explained or thematically dealt with until at the end. Most telling, though, is that I take my time in set-up. I didn't rush this baby in the least, and I think it shows.

I like keeping you guessing about Luke. [face_batting] Thank you. :D

Elli: O:) Thanks, dearest. ;)

RedGold: :eek: The Annals are fun. :D It's no problem - I won't tell you anything about Leia, but I'm not changing canon like that. Characters that existed in canon exist/did exist here. I realize this is very AU, but how we got here is at least partially explained, even if not detail. ;) I didn't throw canon overboard in writing this story, I just changed it. [face_batting] Thank you. :D

JediArwen: LOL, nice to see you here. :D I always wanted to see Luke as Emperor, and then having Mara being a Jedi, and seeing that kind of conflict - well, it was just too much to resist. [face_mischief] Luke's allegiance hasn't been defined yet, yep, and no, I'm not going to confirm or deny any theories. ;) Though they are interesting to read. [face_dancing]

I'm glad you like the title, too. I'm quite fond of it. 8-} Thank you.

academygrad88: [face_laugh] Site Lite! I like that! I love Dark Luke. ;) Thank you! [face_coffee]

RebelMom: Luke had a very good tutor. ;) Very interesting point about Satan, too. I'm glad you like Mara - writing Mara trained as a Jedi from a younger age was sort of an interesting challenge, in deciding on how I wanted her to be - how much of the closed off, emotionally volatile Mara should still be there. :p

Luke is reasonable, and no, he has no intention of turning Mara, but that doesn't mean his intentions are good ones. He certainly still plans on using her, and what do you think he would do if she didn't follow the plan? [face_batting]

LaYa_: Welcome! And thank you for not lurking. :p And you like the title! [face_dancing] Thank you! @};-

Knight_Aragorn: You don't ever need to apologize for long posts. ;) I like that Luke is cool as Emperor. :D I always thought he would be. [face_mischief]

You think you know a lot about Luke. ;) The wedding ceremony is obviously important to the story, but thematically, it's not a big one - it was fun to write, though. :D LOL - you readers look for romantic tension more than Gabri did. :p Thanks for reading. [face_coffee]

StarFighter5: LOL! 8-} I'm glad you liked the post. The meeting was fun to write, though initially (when this story was only going to be 30 pages), I was surprised by how little happened. 8-} Yes, Mara managed to hold her tongue - how long that will last, I won't say. [face_mischief] The wedding scene is an interesting one to me, because I'm not quite sure why it turned out that way. [face_thinking] Thank you. @};-

Jedikma: Chapters vary in length from a page or two to twelve pages. Especially near the end, they're longer. :) Thank you! @};-

HandofSkywalker86: He's powerful

11. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    You realize that I'm going to spend several hours googling Paul Atreides and attempting to find every possible correlation between whoever that may be and this story, aye? ;) I'll type up my conspiracy theories and send 'em over for you to giggle at, don't fear ...

-- Elli, the high on oxygen version

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Ah yes, could Mara be a Chani??? And will Mara and Luke suffer the same sad fate as Paul and his love? I hope not! :(

13. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    What you don't know who Darth Revan is...noooo?!?

*Head explodes* :p

Seriously he's the protagonist of KOTOR and quite the military genius, manpulator, and warrior (picture a more charismatic Human Sithly Thrawn). Those are three traits that I think that Emp Skywalker has in spades. Plus both of them were attempting to safe guard the GFFA from an external threat.

I'm glad I wasn't just imagining the parallels between Muad'Dib and Luke. Kejal already bares a striking resemblance to Paul's mentors especially Hawat, and that should make the emperor's enemies tremble with fear.

I'm very interested to see Luke when he doen't have his nice guy facade in place.

Hand

14. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Elli: *giggles madly* :D It's not going to give you much, I don't think. [face_mischief] And the high on oxygen version? :eek:

VaderLVR64: [face_mischief] I loved Dune, but as the sequels went on, I cared for them progressively less. Does that reassure you? O:)

HandofSkywalker86: :eek: Oooh - he sounds like a very interesting character. Is that why ff.n has all these fanfics on him? :p

There are certain parallels, but put it this way: I'm mostly seeing that in hindsight. :p But a lot of the feel of this story is based on Dune. Dune has a feeling of very rich history, that a lot of backstory not necessarily explored went into the moments in the book - for me, it added this whole new level of myth. I wanted something similar for this story. :)

There's really no 'bad guy' Luke - just a less cooperative, more openly ruthless one. [face_mischief]

15. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    It's Tuesday. ;) Another long post, because the only other way to cut it, it'd be like - two, two and a half pages. :p

Feedback is always adored. :D

[i]Luke Skywalker was fourteen when he was first introduced to the galaxy. He was immediately introduced as both Emperor Vader?s son and heir; the difference in name is still not understood or discussed. It was immediately remarked that he appeared to be a solemn, serious child and early reports proved that assumption correct.

Plots and attempts at gaining favor in the young man?s eyes came to be very quickly; but Skywalker proved himself to be astute. His father also proved to be very protective. Skywalker did not attend school, but was tutored, and he rarely appeared in public until the last couple of years before his father?s death. Almost immediately after choosing to put himself in the public eye, he began to creep into the hearts of Imperial citizens everywhere. In Luke Skywalker they found someone both sympathetic and relatable ? unlike his armored father, or the secluded Palpatine.

--- Annals of the Empire, Vol. II.[/i]

When Luke let loose a strangled cry, his guards didn?t come running. They were well attuned to his sleeping patterns, and they knew any interruption would be unwelcome.

Luke?s room was nearly totally dark. With his excellent eyesight, when Luke opened his eyes, he could see faint outlines, smudges of color, and that was enough to orient him. The soothing golds and blues so reminiscent of his childhood immediately calmed him. He sat up, looking blankly at nothing, just breathing harshly. Sweat ran down his back, making detours along the raised marks.

Eventually, his breathing evened out. He had nightmares in cycles ? one every night for a week, and then nothing for at least three months. As such, he wasn?t surprised by having been awakened. His staff wouldn?t be surprised either ? he would be cranky for the next week. He had already noticed with some amusement them preparing for it.

He slipped out of bed, the silken sheets not clinging to his bare skin. They were smooth, almost sensual, and remained cool against his heated body. Luke sighed and pushed his dampened hair out of his face. He stepped forward to a sidetable pressed against the wall and got himself a glass of clear, cold water. It slid down his throat with a satisfying rush.

He moved slightly, glass still in hand, and turned a clock so it faced him. Early morning ? so early it was hardly past yesterday. He briefly debated going back to sleep, then gave up on the idea as being unrealistic.

After another gulp of water, he put the glass down. He then walked into the refresher, which was right next to the sidetable, across from his bed. He flicked the light on without any preparation, and immediately winced as his night vision was bombarded.

The marble floor, beige streaked with shots of blue, was cold against his bare feet, and Luke winced again. After giving his eyes a few moments to adjust, he opened them fully and looked in the huge, floor-length mirror.

His blue eyes were bloodshot. That would have to be dealt with before he left the room. A minor touch of the Force would be required, probably. His hair stuck up in several directions with no rhyme or reason, and darkened, sweaty clumps stuck to his nape and forehead.

He slipped off his sleep pants and stepped into the shower, turning on the water and finding the appropriate amount of heat. As hot as he had the water, it felt cool against his skin, the water running down his back in cooling waves, as if he were reliving the heated physical pain of his youth.

As calming as the shower was, some salt made its way down the drain.

When Luke left the shower, he was fully composed.

[hr]

Bail Organa did not like the idea of what he was about to do, but it nevertheless gave him some hope. The issue he was to bring to Emperor Skywalker was not one covered in the treaty. He had told his fellow Senators ? the Senators of the New Republic ? that he was inclined to believe Skywalker tr

16. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    The Vaderians seem to be causing trouble..

Luke is definetly up to something!

And are those two falling for each other? How cute.

Thanks for explaining Leia. This should get interesting... at least, I hope so!

17. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    The best thing about snow days is being able to sit at home and read all day. :D

I lovet his story so far. It's so nice to see them start to fall for each other. [face_love]

*goes back and reads post over and over again*

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I was enthralled from the first word of that chapter to the last! :D I'm a very happy reader right now. Luke as the Emperor is amazing, complex and very different, but the core of LUKE is still there. Mara is very much the Mara I remember from Canon, but thrust into a completely different situation! Interesting!

?Do you think you scare people?? Mara asked at last.

?Only the sensible ones,? Skywalker replied. Mara shot him a surprised look. ?Are you sensible?? he asked, looking directly into Mara?s eyes.

Mara didn?t flinch. She smiled. ?Guess not.?

Skywalker smiled. It was a considering smile ? a smile that showed intelligent pleasure. ?Good,? he said simply.

Loved this exchange! And the Noghri? Hooray!

19. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Hmmm...what could Luke be having nightmares about?

Looks like Leia will be entering the scene shortly. I wonder how long it will take Luke to realize who she is...if he doesn't know already. Never know what he could be hiding.

Luke's appears to be spreading disinformation through Mara. He has one big plan, that's for sure. I can't wait to see what it is. The question is whether he'll avoid revealing personal things like he did in this go around.

And Luke got the Noghri bodyguards. This is going to be a fun read, that's for sure. Keep up the good work.

20. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004

Eventually, his breathing evened out. He had nightmares in cycles ? one every night for a week, and then nothing for at least three months. As such, he wasn?t surprised by having been awakened. His staff wouldn?t be surprised either ? he would be cranky for the next week. He had already noticed with some amusement them preparing for it.

I thought that was amusing. He recognizes many of his own weaknesses. This story is amazing, I don't know what else to say about it. Except perhaps, MORE?

21. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Tuesday and Friday -- my new favorite days. :D

Loved the beginning, with the insights into Luke -- how he apparently had been beaten as a child, how he secretly cried in the shower after the nightmare. Also we find out where Leia is, that Alderaan is still there, and that few people know how Vader got hold of Luke.

The interaction of Luke and Mara was great; each surprising the other. And Luke's conversation with Kejal showed how Luke is certainly not soft, considering the Vaderians, and how far-reaching his calculating is, with how he has planned out what info he is telling Mara. I love this 'cool, calculating, but deep-down not-so-bad' version of Luke. =D=

22. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    and Luke - well.
    Liking the image I'm getting doesn't mean I like him...just that, well, I like the image...he strikes me as intelligent, devious, cunning...none of this whininess that pervades his character in a lot of the books.

Skywalker was making everything difficult ? he retained enough total control that doing anything he did not wish was nearly impossible to accomplish, and yet he gave enough freedom that people were willing to believe more would come. Moreover, he endeared his people to him.
    At this point, it seems like he has all of the Emperor's strengths and few of his failings

Only Bail, Yoda and Obi-Wan knew the truth
    Is Obi-Wan still alive?

And is Leia going to be trained as Luke was in ESB?

Mara folded her arms and shot Mauwel a dirty look with a sweet smile
    I really like how you're writing Mara...a Jedi with a distinct edge about her

Skywalker looked at her, expression still mild, and raised an eyebrow
    I get the feeling there's more to Mauwel than we see...
    And come on, Luke, did you really expect her not to ask any questions?

?Only the sensible ones,? Skywalker replied. Mara shot him a surprised look. ?Are you sensible?? he asked, looking directly into Mara?s eyes.

Mara didn?t flinch. She smiled. ?Guess not.?

I loved this exchange

We already got a warrant
    The Empire takes time to get a search warrant? Never would have thought

She puts me off balance, and I can?t figure out how she does it.
    Glad to see she's getting her feet back under her.

Jes

23. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Ah... so we know where Leia is. Where is Han, I wonder?

I absolutely love the Luke/Mara interactions. They keep surprising one another... and Luke's plotting and planning is awesome.

I also like the distinctions between Luke, Vader, and Palpy.

24. The_Good_Twin

The_Good_Twin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2003
    He had nightmares in cycles ? one every night for a week, and then nothing for at least three months. - Poor Luke. :(

?As Your Highness may or may not know, I have a daughter there which I have not seen for quite some time,? Bail said.

Skywalker?s eyes narrowed. ?Ah, yes. Leia Organa. One of the New Republic?s people,? he said casually.
    :eek: So, Leia is alive. Is she a Jedi, too?

?I want to see him,? Mara said, emphasizing each word, carefully bringing out each syllable. - Mara is in love [face_love], Mara is in love [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] .... 8-} :p

?But you are still troubled.?

?I told her something true, Kejal. Yes, this time I used it ? but next time?? Luke said fiercely
    - :eek: Oh Force, how could you tell something which is true, Luke?! [face_shame_on_you] 8-}

Perhaps she should be more carefully watched,? Kejal suggested.

Luke paused. ?Put two Noghri on her.?
    - I wonder when Mara will realize that she is being watched by the Noghris. [face_thinking] She won't be happy about it. [face_devil] Oh, but I like Noghris! :D

:D

25. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    =D= Great post!!

Your portrayal of Luke is fantastic. Of course, I have always liked the bad boys. ;)

I definitely prefered Luke in "Dark Empire"than his portrayal in the other novels. Maybe it was just the tight leather pants. ;)

Great job. I cannot wait for the next post. Thanks for giving us the posting schedule. This way I don't go crazy checking for updates all the time.

AG88

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.