main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Drive You Mild (L/M, massive AU -- {Updated March 4!} Complete.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I wonder how long they will play cat and mouse.

2. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Hmm so Leia is alive... [face_thinking] Interesting that it seems that Luke doesn't know that she is his sister... However... [face_thinking] I bet he knows !

I loved the interaction between Mara and Luke [face_love] Very well done! :D

3. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Great post.

Once again you had me spellbound. I liked the way Mara was able to get a little info out of Luke then, his devious plotting afterwards. Methinks Luke's dreams are going to be very important later on 'cause "Jedi don't dream".

I wonder if those scars are battle scars or hints of the masochism of the Sith.

Luke seems to have the strengths of the previous Emperor's with much different faults.

Luke has Noghri's hanging around, I wonder if he has any Blue skinned aliens or scoundrels hanging aroung?

Hand

4. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Sheets that stay cool? I'd pay a trillion dollars for some of those in the middle of summer! :p

Mara folded her arms and shot Mauwel a dirty look with a sweet smile.

LOL, only Mara could pull that off. *tries to do it and fails miserably* 8-}

I like that you've used the Noghri. It's a nice touch that somehow makes the story that much more believable. :) Also, I love the way you reveal information about the characters and the AU storyline. You have to pay attention to catch it all.

So Luke is playing Mara...he should be very careful. When she finds out, she is going to be so mad. ;)

Nice post, obaona. And yay for posting schedules! [face_dancing]

5. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Absolutely intriguing, oba.

Are you sure you can't post more often? [face_praying] :D

6. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    *snort* Okay, I'll be the sane Vaderian who gets off-planet by disguising herself as ... I dunno, a giant green hamster off to give a birthday party on Alderaan. o_O And yes, I am perfectly aware of how contradictory that single sentence is. [:D]

Interesting look into Luke's dreams, his personal life. Seems as if all is not quite as it seems with the galaxy's favorite Emperor. ;) And stars, if there's one flavor I like more than evil!Luke, it's tormented!Luke ... this should be rather entertaining. :*

Other question would be whether or not Luke had taken an apprentice, with the two-Sith-rule thing. [face_thinking] That'd be rather interesting.

By the stars, I'd almost forgotten about Obi-Wan, with my focus on the younger OT characters -- is he alive, then?? *shall need to pay attention, she supposes* And though we know where Leia is, where's Han ... eh, we'll find out sooner or later, with this story in your capable hands. ;)

Sorry this is kinda short, but Physics final tomorrow. [face_blush] Off to PM you with random nothingness again ...

7. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Oh, I looovvee Noghri, they are just so awesome!! It's cute how Luke and Mara irritate each other. IS this going to be one of those "Gone With The Wind- slap you in the face and kiss you" types of fics? Cause if it is, I love it!

8. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    But a lot of the feel of this story is based on Dune. Dune has a feeling of very rich history, that a lot of backstory not necessarily explored went into the moments in the book - for me, it added this whole new level of myth. I wanted something similar for this story.

[face_dancing] ...I love Dune. :D And Luke was reminding me a little of Paul Atreides as well. He's got that same odd kind of menace that Paul-as-Emperor had -- not necessarily making him a bad person, but you can sense that there is a kind of danger around him, that he's willing to be ruthless if that's what is necessary.

Luke's backhistory is really intriguing... I'm guessing that he spent his childhood on Tatooine, given the decor of his rooms, but... how'd he end up with the Empire? And then there's the nightmares, and this line in particular: As hot as he had the water, it felt cool against his skin, the water running down his back in cooling waves, as if he were reliving the heated physical pain of his youth.

[face_thinking] Now that's very interesting. Physical pain, lingering emotional trauma... could he have been a slave or something similar? :D Randomly spouting theories here.

The section with Mara was interesting.

?I want to see him,? Mara said, emphasizing each word, carefully bringing out each syllable. Mauwel did not look impressed. In fact, Mara was gaining the feeling he didn?t like her.

I have a bad feeling about this guy. He seems to be the type who will plot and dabble if he doesn't like the way things are going... Not good.

?I do not believe fear is as effective a tool as many in the Empire thought,? he said calmly.

He's a smart boy... :) And very smooth, the way he dropped Sefer into the conversation, prodding Mara in the direction he wanted her to go... The exchange about Vader was interesting also. That Luke revealed more than he meant to... :p Mara's getting to him already, and he can't understand why!

*deep breath* Checks length of reply guiltily... Excellent job, very intriguing, can't wait for more! :D

9. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    RedGold: Of course he's up to something! ;) And cute? :eek: Thank you, and I hope you continue enjoying. :)

Mira_Jade: Don't you love that? :D Of course, I live in a desert :p . I'm surprised people think they're starting to fall for each other. They're both interested, but mostly in a 'know thy enemy' sort of way. ;) Thank you. [face_blush]

VaderLVR64: [face_blush] Thank you. :D You're right, Luke is very complex, more so in this story than I generally go into, but I'm glad there's still something Luke about him, and Mara, too ;) . Their conversations only get more heated - I was rereading this part, and thinking, boy, they both seem pretty unconfrontational here. :p

Jedi_BMK: I give hints. ;) And you're making assumptions. [face_disapproval] [face_batting] It's true enough, though, that you don't really know how much he knows. Yep, spreading disinformation - very efficiently, too. I wrote the Noghri in because I always liked them, and I think Vader would utilize them a lot. [face_thinking] Thank you. :D

AnakinsHeir: Yes, he does. Interesting, no, that so does his staff? ;) Thank you! [face_blush]

Jedi-2B: *giggles* :p I remember writing that scene - it came very easily, like scenes do sometimes. Of course, it connects to other things in the story, too. And I think you learn something about this universe just about every section.

That first scene between the two of them was fun to write. ;) And yes, I wanted to show that Luke can very ruthless when he feels it's necessary. He's not unnecessarily cruel, but I wouldn't really call him compassionate - not the way a Jedi is, at any rate. I'm glad you like him. :D Thank you! @};-

Jesina_Dreis: I don't like some of the ways he's been written in the EU. But I was talking with someone about him in ANH recently, and she pointed out he's really not whiny - he's just young, constantly trying to prove himself and argue with Han. This Luke never really had the chance to be like that, not fully. And Luke has learned from Palpatine's failures, I'd say. ;)

I answered the question about Obi-Wan already - I'll give you a hint. Look at the wedding scene more carefully. Leia? [face_mischief]

Luke probably didn't expect his own reactions, more than hers. As far as the search warrant - what have we seen? ;) Luke makes certain of his position before going all out. Besides, do you think it'd be hard? :p Mara - well, she's very Mara, and Mara doesn't back down. [face_mischief] Thank you!

Smuggler_Shidakis: In a certain sense, the Emperors have progressed from one to the next - Palpatine, to Vader, to Luke. :) This story is very focused on Luke and Mara, so you'll be seeing a lot more of their interactions. ;) Thank you! :D

The_Good_Twin: Makes you wonder if it would ever occur to the Jedi that Luke would have a such weakness. [face_thoughtful] Leia is alive, yes - a Jedi? I don't know, do you suppose Bail would know if she was? [face_batting]

LOL, Mara is in love! [face_laugh] Considering that Mara is in the middle of the Empire, I don't think she'd be surprised at being watched. :p Thanks for reading! [:D]

academygrad88: LOL! I love Dark!Lukie as well, I must admit. And the tight leather pants rocked. [face_mischief] LOL, that's a lot of the reason I decided to have a schedule. It lets us both know when there will be a post. ;) Thank you! [face_coffee]

StarFighter5: Have I mentioned how long this story is yet? O:)

LaYa_: [face_shhh] Perhaps. ;) Thank you, glad you're enjoying. :D

HandofSkywalker86: Thanks. [face_blush] Mara is very persistent, and she think she goes after Luke in a way that he doesn't really anticipate, which is why she catches him off-guard. That and other things. ;) Jedi don't dream, that's true, but Luke isn't a Jedi. O:) And where would Luke get battle scars? [face_batting] And I'm [face_shhh] on everything else. Thanks for reading.

Leia: I know! :_| I live in the desert *sigh*. I always liked the Nog

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Wow - this moved fast! All caught up now. I'm enjoying it muchly! :)

I'm a big Vader/Luke fan and I love Luke's memories and thoughts about his father.

And, of course, the L/M-ness:

"Do you think you scare people?? Mara asked at last.

?Only the sensible ones,? Skywalker replied. Mara shot him a surprised look. ?Are you sensible?? he asked, looking directly into Mara?s eyes.

Mara didn?t flinch. She smiled. ?Guess not.?

Perfect! :D

11. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    Hm! Interesting, dear! [face_thinking]

You give us hint after hint and leave us wondering...

Why and what about has Luke nightmares? And why nightmares in cycles???

At least Skywalker had given no indication he knew Leia was his sister.

So Leia is Luke's sister, but they never met on the Death Star, as Luke was with Vader? And when shall we see Han?

And so it passes. Life goes on, and we go with it, as we must, as we cannot fail to do. We must not drown in our sorrows. Let us hope that we may experience the fullness of the future by leaving the past behind.

--- Luke Skywalker at Darth Vader?s funeral, excerpt: Annals of the Empire, Vol. III.

Another interesting hint, dear! Is this a comparison to Anakin fail to accept the same thing, the reason for his downfall? Perhaps Luke is not so dark! Especialy combining with:

?Did you love your father?? Mara asked suddenly.

Skywalker jerked, startled eyes turning to her. ?Yes,? he said finally. ?I did.?

And this:

Skywalker?s voice became nearly inaudible. ?He was hardly a Sith at the end,? he murmured.

Not so dark at all! ;)

?When they find Kearek, she?ll recommend they step up their own weapons program while using the trade routes of the treaty.?

It seems Luke wants the Rebels to armed better...
    Probably getting the galaxy ready for the Vong... [face_thinking]

I loved L/M interaction and hope to see more... They seem to falling for each other... [face_love]

12. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Oh, I remember my other question! :p It was this: since couples aren't considered married on Earth until after they've actually consummated the marriage, does this apply to our heroes as well? Not asking just because I'm Elli, but also just plain wondering; they don't seem very warm, for people who've shared a bed. *shrug*

Two-Sith thing - well, yeah, there can only be two, but what I have said about Luke so far? Does he appear like a full-blown Sith? Is he power-hungry? Could he ever trust an apprentice?

No he doesn't seem like he would, but I'm operating on a 'don't jump to conclusions' basis right now. [face_thinking] And the learning from Palpatine's example thing, I suppose, would come in handy in dealing with that situation, aye? :p Apprentices that kill you are bad ...

As I said to someone else, I answered the Obi-Wan thing - see the wedding section, and look closely. And yes, you'll find out sooner or later. Thanks, dearest.

So upset with myself that I didn't catch that the first time. o_O

See ya, oba!

13. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    since couples aren't considered married on Earth until after they've actually consummated the marriage, does this apply to our heroes as well? Not asking just because I'm Elli, but also just plain wondering; they don't seem very warm, for people who've shared a bed. *shrug*

Good question, Vader_Incarnate. I was wondering the same thing. You didn't give us any indication as to what Luke's expectations were in the bedroom. I know the contract mentioned that he was not requiring an heir to be born, but that leads us to assume that Luke did expect some type of interaction with his wife of an intimate nature.

I know, I know...this is not the Adultfanfiction forum. [face_blush] :p

AG88

14. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Ack!

I almost went into a detailed analysis about pre-modern/pre-industrial marriage contracts and how they would pertain to the situation!

*shakes head*

I know... I'm a sad person...

15. Leia

Aug 8, 1998
    LOL, RedGold, I would actually kinda like to read that. ;)

16. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Well, first off, I was thinking about the difference between pre and modern age.

vader_incarnate only said "on Earth". So first we have to figure out what era this Empire and New Repulic would fall into.

You have the pre-modern with your concepts of emperorship, arranged marriages between governments (kingdoms), throw backs to the Old Republic and not to mention the pre-reformation style Jedi.

But, you also have modern concepts with technology, banishment of slavery and racial issues, woman's rights and an actual government in the New Republic.

It is important to mention the fact that in the contract Luke makes allowances that Mara could have another "snuggle-bunny" just no children of such union would not be legitimate. This both smacks of pre-modern heiring issues as well as modern realism and enlightenment.

Anyway,

The reason it's important to figure out what style of culture the Empire, or more importantly, Luke, have, is that there is a major difference between pre and modern age marriage.

In pre you do have the arranged marriages. It's a little muddy as to whether or not there would be a consumation if this is the case for the circumstances of Luke and Mara's wedding. I will discuss that later if we decide that this does fall into a pre-modern culture.

If it's modern, then you could almost say for sure there was no "consumation". In the modern era it's all about a little thing called "love" and the idea of the marriage is actually loosing its favor. It's simply a "formality". Therefor Luke, even if he is Sith(ish), wouldn't force anything on Mara and Mara would feel no need to fullfill that aspect since it's not culturally engrained in her to do so.

The more I read what I just wrote the more I think this might center around "woman's rights". Now, I'm not a feminist, but in reality woman in the pre-modern age thought it was their duty to fullfill their side of the contract and produce said heir (well, that's what the culture told them to do). If Mara is running the New Republic military then obviously there is no "glass ceiling" and women have full rights. This is very modern.

And if it's modern, then no consumation.

I hope this made some sense, it's 11:30pm here and I graduated with my degree in History almost two years ago and have done nothing with it since.

Yes, I am a sad person.

17. Leia

Aug 8, 1998
    That was interesting, RedGold. Thanks! :D

Also, I remembered this:

?He touched your hair?? Adi asked, eyes narrowing.

?Yes,? Mara said with a smile directed at Adi. ?He said I have beautiful hair. Not to worry, Master ? he also assured me he has no intention of forcing a relationship, though we must carry on some semblance of one for the public.?

?Nevertheless . . . be wary of his attentions,? Adi said with a frown.

?I will,? Mara assured her. ?Though I doubt wariness will do much good if changes his mind, save for the fact that I might not be so surprised.?

So, I'd definitely say no consummation.

18. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    :eek:

oba, this is incredible so far. I remember you talking about this story last year, and I saw when you had a teeny bit on the SJRS, but I never dreamed that it would be this . . . this . . .

*passes out*

;)

Definitely love the Dune vibes, too. I love the feeling of ancient history mixed with modern times. And arranged marriages have always captured my fancy.

I like the inclusion of excerpts from the "Annals of the Empire" at the beginning of each part, because it slowly builds on the backstory for the reader without dragging down the narrative with info vomits. :p

And I love both Dark!Luke and Tormented!Luke. :D *huggles Luke* Conflicted characters are certainly your specialty, aren't they? It's so intriguing how you've slowly introduced hints into his character and HOW he came to be in the Empire, and I can't wait to see what you do with him yet.

Mara is an interesting enigma too, so far. She's so controlled and . . . well, Jedi-ish, but you throw in those dashes of her sarcasm and passion which keep her sounding like the true Mara.

And majordomo/flunky . . . can't remember his name . . . 8-} I have an inkling that no good will come of him. Noghri = yay! [face_dancing] Vaderians = v. humourous. I had the mental image of Elli running around in a cape the whole time. [face_batting] Leia, Bail, Obi, Adi, Yoda . . .

You have me hooked, dear Mumsicle. I can't wait until the next post. :*

19. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    You don't like Kejal? He's not harmless, certainly, but he's always been obedient to Luke so far, has he not?

It's not that I don't like him so much as I don't like the way he seemed to be trying to keep Mara away from Luke...:mad: And yes, he's obedient, but he doesn't seem to enthused over the whole marriage thing... I'm probably just paranoid. :p

And you're very perceptive, in seeing that about Luke's bedroom. (Yes, I'm willing to admit that much.)

Hmm... [face_thinking] *Goes away to ponder on this* :p

20. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    FRIDAY IS TAKING FOREVER TO GET HERE!!!! I WANT AN UPDATE!!!!

;)

By the way, I don?t give a rat?s behind about pre-modern or pre-reformation arranged marriages, I want to see some ROMANCE!!! In the title is says L/M, massive AU -- political intrigue, romance, drama

Ok, I see political intrigue and drama...but where is the romance?!?!?! I want this relationship consummated!! :p

Just kidding. The tension is killing me. Won?t Friday get here!!!!

Okay, I am sorry?I need to go back to the Luke, Mara, the Force and Sex in the Expanded Universe thread before I get in trouble here.

Good job!!

AG88

21. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't like some of the ways he's been written in the EU. But I was talking with someone about him in ANH recently, and she pointed out he's really not whiny - he's just young, constantly trying to prove himself and argue with Han.
    Yeah...it's the EU I have a problem with. I always got annoyed at people who called him whiny in ANH. He was what...eighteen?...never been off Tatooine in his life...what do you want from him? Really?

And Luke has learned from Palpatine's failures, I'd say.
    You illustrate that very well.

I answered the question about Obi-Wan already - I'll give you a hint. Look at the wedding scene more carefully.
    [face_blush] Missed that... *sigh*

~Jes~

22. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    academygrad88: By the way, I don?t give a rat?s behind about pre-modern or pre-reformation arranged marriages, I want to see some ROMANCE!!! In the title is says L/M, massive AU -- political intrigue, romance, drama

Ah, but there are so very many different kinds of romance. A Harlequin paperback may be a romance novel, but Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is also considered a romance. You see the vast ground that particular genre covers. [face_batting]

oba: LOL - you readers look for romantic tension more than Gabri did.

No joke. :eek: And believe me, I was looking. [face_thinking]

Elli: I'm operating on a 'don't jump to conclusions' basis right now.

That is quite a wise move, I assure you. O:)

23. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Gabri_Jade: Ah, but there are so very many different kinds of romance. A Harlequin paperback may be a romance novel, but Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is also considered a romance. You see the vast ground that particular genre covers.

Yeah, I know. Sorry, I was just getting a little impatient. Well at least this AU Luke married Mara far quicker than EU Luke. Heck, it took EU Luke over 10 years plus he needed the Force to kick him in that direction with their little Force Bonding before he finally acted!! :p

AG88

24. Odd-Thomas

Odd-Thomas Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    I just found this and I must say I was simply blown away! Fantastic! Rich and complex, I know I'll be coming back for more of this story!

25. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    AG88: Yeah, I know. Sorry, I was just getting a little impatient.

*laughs* At least you guys are getting this story with two posts a week, you know. I got fed bits and pieces over a year's time, and there was definitely no set schedule to it. Oba will attest to how impatient I occasionally got over that year. :p

Well at least this AU Luke married Mara far quicker than EU Luke. Heck, it took EU Luke over 10 years plus he needed the Force to kick him in that direction with their little Force Bonding before he finally acted!!

True. But EU Luke married Mara out of love, not practicality. [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.