main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Droid Voices: Evolution over the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by theN00_Jedi, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    I know everyone's been talking quite a bit about how "horrible" the droid voices/sounds/languages were, and how out of place they were in the trilogy as a whole...

...but I think it's the opposite, they were perfect, continuity wise,
    in the OT none of the work-horse droids were as elegant or well spoken as the trade federation droids in PT, who were probably more of a cross between a protocol droid and a security guard, converted for battle just like their ships were,

by the end of the PT, yes their voices sounded odd, distorted, echoey, and some of greivous' personal droids weren't even speaking english/basic/in sentences,

but what people are missing is how perfect a match for the OT style droids,

just take the scene in the sandcrawler in ANH and listen to the sounds the droids are making,
    listen to the other protocol droids, the ones that weren't C3po,
    listen to the spider droids in ROTJ,
    the silver protocol droid in ESB who bumps into 3po in cloud city,
    or the droid who first tells R2 and 3po what their new jobs will be after they surrendered to jabba, the one who looks like he was made from battle droid spare parts,

now tell me those voices aren't a good match continuity wise

IMO the evolution of the droid voices over the course of the PT, while it is a little hard to listen to, is a perfect fit for the universe, besides it makes sense too, when you're losing a war, what's more important, the quality of your droids' voice synthesizer, or the fact that you can pump out 2 or 3 thousand more per minute if you're willing to settle for 'imperfect' voices

2. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    good point. i never thought of that. IT does make sense though.

3. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Once I heard that first "Roger Roger" I knew that this trilogy wasn't going to be anywhere near the same as the beloved originals.

4. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    lol. good point. however. i still think thenoo_jedi has a good point.

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I love "Roger, roger". It's classic!

Yes it is
    /LM

6. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    It's called levity. In a trilogy where the hero murders women, children, and other Jedi, chokes his pregnant wife, attacks his best friend, and swears fealty to the Dark Lord of the Sith, it is a good thing. GL is not infantilizing SW, insulting anyone's intelligence, raping childhoods, or losing the ability to make good films. He is intentionally lightening the mood in parts of the PT to compensate for the darker tone; otherwise, the films may be dreary, and overly somber. This isn't Monster, this is Star Wars.

I gotta agree with Lars Muul, roger roger cracked me up the first time I heard it, and continues to do so today.

"Check it out, corporal. We'll Cover you."
    "Roger Roger."

That's good stuff. :)

7. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    *bumpity bump bump, bump bump*

8. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    You make a good point ,theN00_Jedi .
    I've never really thought about it like that.

And I too like Roger Roger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.