Droidekas?! I thought he said...Droid Picards!!!

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by YodasClass, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodasClass Jedi Knight

When I first saw The Phantom Menace, and those strange looking alien dudes who sent those droids after Obi Wan and Qui Gon to finish them off said, "Send the Droidekas!", as Qui Gon was slicing thru the door with his lightsaber, I swore I thought he said "Droid Picards"!!! Lol. As in Captain Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek The Next Generation!!!

What did you all think he said when you first heard him say that? It wasn't until repeated viewings and checking in with TheForce.net did I know he said Droidekas.
  2. Skywalker_1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Droidekas was what I always heard but, I was paying incredibly close to everything the first time I saw Episode 1
  3. Cometgreen Jedi Master

star 4
    I did too, and I still do hear that when he says it, but if you listen, you can tell that he says "Droidekas." He just accenuates the "de".

Cometgreen
  4. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    The first time I saw it I heard "droid deckers". I didn't quite know what that meant, but that's what it sounded like.

I d'know...like deck fighters, only droids instead of ships. I guess...

What the frell does "droideka" mean, anyway? The "droid" part I get, but the rest...
  5. Punisher Jedi Master

star 4
    Droid De Cars!

Although it would have been pretty funny to see Patrick Stewart as Locutus in a ball rolling down the hallway! :D
  6. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think in the shooting script for The Phantom Menace, Nute Gunray says, "Destroy droids," and also Qui-Gon shouts, "Gas!" rather than, "Dioxis!" in the opening moments of the film. However, during the redubbing for the dialogue (I know that's the wrong term, but I can't remember the proper one!) George decided to change it to Droidekas, as he felt it sounded more Star Warsie, and it's the same reason for dioxis. Hope that helps! :)
  7. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Heh heh. I heard "droid deckers" the first coupla times too.

'Droidekas' and 'dioxis' are nice words though. Just makes the world a little more non-Earthy.

Also, if Qui-Gon said "Gas", we'd have to sit through about twelve threads about some unfunny edit-together of "Gas" and then the eopie fart.

It'd be almost as funny as Star Wars Kid. [face_plain]

Rick McCallum loves you!
  8. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    [face_laugh]

I thought he did too.

LOL!

The things we think of.

There's quite alot of subliminal Star Trek stuff going on with the TF in TPM.

You have the above and also the trade FEDERATION.

The NEIMOYdians, as in Leonard Neimoy.

Where's the Shatnerians?

The Bonesians?

The Sulududuus?
  9. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the name Quandrinario (sp?) Too cool!

Sorry, a bit off topic.:)

10. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Droid Picards???

"Make it so, Number One!"

"Roger, roger!"

Oh well, it's similar to the time when I thought 'lightsaber' was 'live savers' [face_laugh]
  11. Matthew_Wolverine Force Ghost

star 4
    Droid De Cars!

That's what I heard.

Although it would have been pretty funny to see Patrick Stewart as Locutus in a ball rolling down the hallway!

lol
  12. Darth_Bog Jedi Master

star 4
    Seriously now, could you actually SEE "Droid Picards" firing earl grey tea at their targets? :D

Droidekas is the DUMBEST thing going in TPM...why he came up with that name I'll never understand.

Could you imagine calling a Star Destroyer a "Stardekas"??? Survey says: zzzzzzzzzz!!!
  13. burrie Jedi Master

star 4
    Could you imagine calling a Star Destroyer a "Stardekas"??? Survey says: zzzzzzzzzz!!!
    Well, if the Star Destroyers had been called Stardekas in 1977, then yes, I suppose I could imagine hearing myself say that, and laugh at the suggestion that they should be called Star Destroyers.
  14. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I could never understand what the hell Panaka said when he actually said "It looks pretty bad."

I always thought it was something like "Let's revamp."

Or some nonsense....
  15. Qui-GonDoug Jedi Knight

star 1
    I thought he said droidy cars until I finally read the word
  16. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
  17. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Droid Picards? That would have been some scary stuff indeed.

"You have committed an act of aggression against the Trade Federation, if you do not withdraw immediately I will pump your ass full of blaster bolts" :p
  18. Darth-Dispicable Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought it was Droid Decons for the longest time. Silly me. 8-}

Either way they are the coolest droids yet. :cool:
  19. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
    Droid Pickards, huh?

Well, I guess that would be a way to drag in the die hard Trekkies. [face_mischief]
  20. Hatter Jedi Master

star 4
    I was always wondering why the hell he was referring to them as Droidekas, since the only name they had gone by until then was Destroyer Droids...
  21. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I guess that's what he likes to call them...
  22. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    Forget Droidekas, I want to talk about the word "dioxis". Is it supposed to be a real word or it is a Lucasism?

I looked up the word "dioxis" in 3 different dictionaries and couldn't find it. I did find the word "dioxin" which is toxic chemical. I wonder if Qui-Gon was supposed to say "dioxins" instead of "dioxis". Any GL quotes concerning this little word? Thanks.
  23. Punisher Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it was just supposed to be "Gas!" (I think the comic adaptaion has "gas" and it was written before certain cuts/changes were made), and Lucas changed it to "Dioxis" in order to have it sound more Star Warsy or something.

I can see fanboys raving about how he should have kept "Gas" though and how cool it would be as a foreshadow for the farting Eopie later in the film. ;)
  24. KosmicKnine Jedi Master

star 4
    I only recently started thinking that Qui-Gon could have been naming the gas entering the room when he said "dioxis." Previously, though, for some reason, I always thought that Qui-Gon was instructing Obi-Wan to use some breath-holding Jedi technique named "dioxis."

I'm odd; I know.

[face_plain]
  25. SobiFan Jedi Knight

star 3
    [face_laugh] I thought he said 'droid de cars' too :D droidekas... who thought that up, anyways?! :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.