main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Droidism

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by General_GrievousFan, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General_GrievousFan

General_GrievousFan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2004
    How come in bars and stuff the servers won't serve Droids? They are always saying something like "we don't serve your kind" or "get out of here" is it really that big of deal that a droid is getting a drink for its master. Pretty soon, there will be laws against Droidism(discriminating against droids) :-D

2. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    An interesting theory I read is that because droids don't drink, they aren't paying customers, and would just be taking up space in the bar that a being who ingests beverages could be occupying. Therefore, they aren't welcome in a bar.

3. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    That's the reason given in the book Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.
    It works as well as any other reason.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Maybe backlash from the Clone Wars. Droid armies, after all.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    They take up space in all of the cantinas.

I don't think it has anything to do with hating the droids.

-Seldon

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "We don't serve their kind"

Doesn't sound like the concern is about taking up space, and the bartender wasn't very pleasant about it, either.

7. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    this is pretty much the same deal as the deathsticks line. lucas wanted to tell a story, make it allegorical, and contain a moral lesson all at the same time.

8. Davin Felth

Davin Felth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 1999
    It could be any number of things. Largely, it probably started as a human fear of the machines. Later, it probably became more a feel that the machines were competitors, taking human jobs.

9. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Davin I don't agree with you at all on this one.
    The aliens/humans do not fear machines. If they did fear them then they would not create so many of them. As Fosh said this really has little to do with GFFA, and more to do with Lucas.

-Seldon

10. Jedi_Monk

Jedi_Monk Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2004
    That logic doesn't follow. Droids are manufactured by massive corporations, not by the little guy on the street. Obviously some of those little guys are resentful or fearful of droids in the GFFA.

11. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Actually I'm going to defend my logic a little bit.

Corporations make products. They make products which people want. They are not going to mass-produce things which people are afraid of. There is supply and demand. Basically lets say the majority of Americans are terribly afraid of soda cans. They will not buy soda because they are really afraid of those cans. Well if this is the case Coke/Pepsi are about to bottle more drinks in plastic. The compaines want to make the money, so they will not be mass-producing things which won't sell.

The movies/novels/comics/shows for SW never indicate that the average GFFA resident is terrified of droids. That is the evidence we have to look at.

-Seldon

12. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Taking up space is a good reason. " We dont serve their kind here " never sounded as bigoted as it should have if it were meant to be a racism allegory. And there is not too much beyond that Cantina scene that would suggest " Droidism " in the entire saga so far.

13. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Actually, there IS a bit more droidism in the movies...

Notice Han's displeasure upon meeting Threepio and Artoo for the first time.

He treats Threepio like garbage all through ESB (though that may just be because Threepio drives him nuts).

Owen's "All right, shut up." to Threepio in ANH.

The whole "Wookies pull droids arms off if they lose" scene.

Chewie roaring and scaring the little mouse robot on purpose.

As Artoo arrives at the bunker entrance in ROTJ to help open the door, Han yells "Come on! Come on!" pretty nastily.

Just observations...

14. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    The last poster stated that droids get no respect in the movies.

Well they are only metal and wires, I hardly think that 3P0 is going to be treated like a Galactic Senator.
    Droids don't get respect.
    They drive Han nuts, Owen only sees them as tools.

That does not mean the people are afraid of the droids, or that the cantina is a place for droid haters.

-Seldon

15. General_GrievousFan

Apr 10, 2004
    Maybe my term "droidism" will spread and catch on. mwahaha, let it spread throughout the land.......

16. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    When one is being prejudice against a droid that person is being a Droidist.
    The act of being prejudice against a droid is known as droidism.
    or could droidism be a robot's nationalism?
    difficult to answer that question is.

17. Jedi_Monk

Feb 13, 2004
    >Corporations make products. They make products which >people want. They are not going to mass-produce >things which people are afraid of. There is supply >and demand.
    Real world analogy: Corporations make guns; this is a product many people don't want; they mass-produce this product, which many people are afraid of. There is still supply and demand, however.

But maybe a more adapt analogy is between droids and computers. My grandma, without ever having owned a computer, hates them. We gave her one for Christmas, and she avoids it like the plague. Not only are there people like my grandmother who are intimidated by computers, but there are also people who fear computers taking their jobs, and even people who are afraid that computers will take over the world.

Guns and computers, however, don't talk back, and except when it seems like your CPU has deliberately turned against you, exhibit no sentience. Droids do have a certain level of sentience, but are discriminated against. Droids have been used to subjugate whole worlds in wars, they are strong enough to overwhelm most organic life forms, they take people's jobs... I think those are all reasons why somebody might be afraid of droids, and might be reasons why droids are generally treated as second-class. Hense, droidism.

18. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    In response to Jedi Monk.

Computers are something new. Your grandmother does not want one, because she did fine in her younger days without one. Many older people don't care for the new technology. It is something that they feel they don't need.

In GFFA, droids have been around for a very long time. These people have grown up with them, become dependant on them, grown to like them, grown to need them. There are not going to be a whole bunch of people like your grandmother that hate them, because they are nothing new. They have always been there. Your grandmother grew up with cars, she does not hate them she needs them. She is not going to say "I hate my car" No because she has grown to need it!

People fear guns, but there is still a huge demand for them.

So yes some people could fear droids, after all people fear everything. On day time TV you can see people running away from tin foil because it scares them. So there are bound to be folks that are afraid of droids (very few people) There could be some who don't care for droids but use them (Han Solo)

That however is not the reason the Cantina does not allow droids in. They are not allowed in because they would take up space and not contribute to the buisness. If I go to a resturant and I sit down, and I never order anything they are going to throw me out. I am not using their service and taking up space so they will want me out. They know already that droids won't drink or eat so they don't want them.

About your last argument, soldiers are in war, yet the majority of the people don't hate soldiers they are just doing what they are told, as are battle droids doing what is programmed within them.

Droids are treated like second class because they are second class. Who would consider a droid to be their equal?

-Seldon

19. Jedi_Monk

Feb 13, 2004
    >Droids are treated like second class because they are >second class. Who would consider a droid to be their >equal?
    I would say that this statement is the very essence of droidism. Droids aren't my equal>therefore why should they take my job>therefore I hate them for taking my job. A misplaced feeling of authority can very easily turn to hate. Droidism.

20. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    No
    There can be no such thing as droidism.
    Racism is when two groups of people are equals and one treats the other as an inferior race.

Droids are not equal to humans, therefore it is not discrimination when superior beings treat them as less than equal.

-Seldon

21. Admiral_Lobot

Admiral_Lobot Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2004
    Very well said.

22. General_GrievousFan

Apr 10, 2004
    I never said anything about there being Droidism when it comes to Droids being servers and "taking jobs" It was that no human or droid would serve a droid. NOTE, Human not serving Droid in ANH, and A droid not serving a droid in AOTC. So even droids won't serve droids. Damn that droidism.

23. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    The food is for the organic living creatures
    the resturants are for organic living creatures.

There is no droidism
    there is only common sense.

-Seldon

24. General_GrievousFan

Apr 10, 2004
    I guess common sense passed you up as well Seldom. :p, the droids are getting the drinks for their masters. How many companies nowadays allow people to buy stuff over the internet. Imagine how much more money the places would make if they allowed droids to get the drinks for their masters. You could even charge a "Droid pick up service" and people would still pay for it(relating it to delivering pizza)

25. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Who is seldom?

Okay in the AOTC ship, it was a ship of refugees. How many refugees bring server droids with them? This is a group of people leaving their homes, they could be in the lower class and be trying to find a better life. They are trying to find a place where they can get a better job and make more money. These are not the type of people that would have servant droids.
    Now yes in other areas of the galaxy I'm sure droids purchase things for their masters. However on the refugee ship, R2 is probably the only servant droid, so when R2 went to get the food the food droid did not know what to do.

In ANH, the droids would take up space. They would not be consuming any products so there is no need for them.

These two examples does not mean that droids are hated in the galaxy. There are plenty of examples where they are used.
    1. Droids serve the Trade Federation folks in many different ways.
    2. Moisture farmers use droids to work for them
    3. Dex's Diner uses droids to work for them
    4. The Jedi Temple uses droids to work for them (AOTC deleted scene)
    5. Jabba's palace uses droids to work for them
    6. Rebel Fighter pilots use droids to work for them
    7. The empire uses droids to work for them

Droids are not hated, they are used across the galaxy.
    There are two small examples where droids are not treated so well. As you can see I have explained that from my POV

Darth-SeldoN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.