Classics Droids cartoon, Ewoks movies and the Holiday Special

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by sith_rising, Oct 31, 2012.

1. sith_rising Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm wondering if they'll get proper releases (all 13 Droids episodes) and re-releases (the Ewoks Caravan/Battle DVD is quite valuable now), or even a remastered Holiday Special, now that Lucas won't be calling all Star Wars shots anymore.
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. DarthTalgus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    rdhight, markdeez33 and cdgodin like this.
  3. Nexumaster Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't forget the Ewoks cartoon (and we'll see if they will get a proper release in the future).
  4. sith_rising Force Ghost

star 4
    lol NOOOOO. Loved the Droids cartoon and even the Ewoks movies, but just couldn't get into the Ewoks cartoon. It felt so distant and un-Starwarsey. It was more like Smurfs lol.
  5. Nexumaster Force Ghost

star 4
    I still think it should get a release since it's still Star Wars, no matter the quality of it. You should think of others who might like it and would want it to get a proper release, you wouldn't be forced to buy it.
    cdgodin, Grievousdude and LawgSkrak like this.
  6. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope that thanks to Disney the Holiday special fades even more into oblivion!
  7. DM99 Jedi Master

star 3
    do you believe that chewie had a wife?

i dont. he was not married and han was is first and only love!!!
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Kez-Iban Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I hope the full seasons of Droids, Ewoks and the original Clone Wars will be available on DVD. I'm more hopeful that this will happen now with Disney. Disney has done a great job with their Walt Disney Treasures series, giving fans all of the cartoons of Mickey, Donald, Goofy, TV series and more. With commentary by Leonard Maltin as well as lots of behind the scenes material, it would be really nice to get the Star Wars stuff, including the Holiday Special, in a similar format.
  9. Darth_Martus Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I'd buy them all to have for the collection but I doubt I'd watch much of them :p

The Holiday Special at Xmas is the done thing though. Doesn't everybody?

I don't think the micro series will ever be released again. At least, not while the The Clone Wars is around.
  10. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    Would definitely like to see both the Droids & Ewoks cartoons cleaned up, remastered, and released on DVD (or Blu-ray, though since these cartoons are almost 30 years old I'm not sure if they would look that much better on Blu-ray). These are great cartoons, and they're not really available in any good home video format now (I'm not counting the execrable 2004 heavily edited & modified DVD releases).

Back in August it was announced that Lflm. was looking into/planning on making these shows available online at some point (it wasn't clear if this was for download or streaming?!). However, haven't heard anything since then so who knows if that is still going to happen.
    Last edited by Blur, Nov 4, 2012
  11. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    Just release the damn things already. What's the bloody hold up?
  12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    Forget DVD. How about bluray?
    TreborSabreon likes this.
  13. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    I'd be all for a proper, unaltered release of the Droids & Ewoks cartoons, don't know if the Ewok movies are worth more than a re-release (the DVD is 4:3). IIRC, a behind the scenes doco was shot for Caravan of Courage, but never saw the light of day.

The Holiday Special is a sticky issue. It's easy enough to get a bootleg online, but how many SW fans don't regret the fact that it exists after they've watched it?

There's also another SW gem that's gone unreleased in its full form - the mockumentary Return of the Ewok. It's got the Big Three in it, including Carrie Fisher in the slave girl outfit!!!
  14. Nexumaster Force Ghost

star 4
    Haven't Warwick Davis and Eric Walker (Wicket and Mace Towani) said that they are open to do an audio commentary if asked?; if that was so, commentaries should be a no-brainer.
    Last edited by Nexumaster, Nov 9, 2012
  15. Guy-Gone_Weird Force Ghost

star 2
    I'm absolutely behind re-releases of all of these, even the Holiday Special. Just get that...thing...out there finally. It's not going to kill Star Wars. It's like The Room. People will see it, laugh, be horrified, joke about it for a while, then people will move on. It deserves to be released, even if it's just a bonus feature tucked away with something else. And it would really be nice to get some kind of mini-doc or featurette that could finally set the story straight on how it came to be.

I'd love to get the proper TV versions of Droids and Ewoks. I've watched low-quality versions of Droids in order (including the Great Heep special) it was a lot of fun. I still hope someday we might see some animated bookend shorts or something that show how they were separated from Captain Antilles, and then how they were finally re-united before ANH. The Ewok Adventures would be a good candidate too, and would be a great place to have Return of the Ewok and the Caravan doc, and anything else we haven't seen yet. The second one is kind of underrated. Wilford Brimley deserves to be an action figure.

As for the Clone Wars Microseries, see my recent topic about my idea that they could rebrand it on the packaging as a loose tie-in to the current series.
  16. Kez-Iban Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Happy Life Day! The Holiday Special is 34 years old today!
    KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  17. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope Disney does a remake of the Holiday Special [face_laugh]
  18. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Mickey and C3P0's Christmas Carol.
  19. Kez-Iban Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Bringing up an old thread here, but I'm wondering if LFL/Disney has been doing anything with these. At the Star Wars Celebration last year the starwars.com panel was asking to see if there was interest in having the complete Droids and Ewoks available to watch on the official site. Since then there has been absolutely no news as to whether this is a go or not. Hopefully the article on the Star Wars blog about the Spanish Droids and Ewoks comics will jog their memory a bit about this project. If anyone from here is going to Celebration Europe, hopefully they can find out some information!
  20. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    See my post up above. Pretty much that.
  21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    I would buy the Droids episodes. But all the Ewok media? Nehhhh.
  22. Trebor Sabreon Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm happy to see this thread get a bit of new life. First, let me just start by saying that I'd love to see the Star Wars: Droids series released on blu ray. And soon. I mean, why not? I can't imagine the cost would be all that prohibitive, and it would be a goodwill gesture made by Disney to the fans, which wouldn't be likely to take much (if any) attention away from Episode VII.

But hey, as long as we're here, allow me, if you will, to tilt the discussion a bit. Any takers on the identity of the "stranger" who left his lightsaber in the speeder Tahll Joben was tasked with repairing?

We know from Thall's remarks that the stranger was a male, who "never came back to pick up his speeder." We also know that the show is set sometime during the year 15 BBY and Joben says the speeder was left in his care "a long time ago" (very 'Star Wars,' that). With this in mind, I think it's safe to say that 19 or 18 BBY could qualify, leaving the door open for Joben's meeting with the stranger having taken place early during the Great Jedi Purge. Oh, and we know that Joben hangs out in at least the Mid-Rim and Outer-Rim Territories.

So who was it? Jedi? If so, who? Bounty hunter or Emperor's Hand (or some other Imperial operative) who took down a Jedi? A scavenger who happened upon the lightsaber sometime after it's rightful owner was cut-down?

And why on earth would anyone just leave a speeder - a speeder containing a lightsaber, of all things - behind and never return? Did the presence of the weapon make the whole situation just too hot to ever revisit? Was the owner of the speeder arrested? Executed?

----------

Now, I know that we don't have any real way of knowing any of this, but it's something I've always wondered about and, for other old-school fans such as myself who grew up with this show, I thought it might be fun to speculate.

Final question: If anybody has a clearer version than I currently have to watch, is the blade of that saber more of a blue or green? On my (YT) copy, it's somewhere between the two, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say blue. Goofy, I know, but what the 'H' - it's fun and I'm curious.

Oh, and before I forget, if we ever do get a Live Action Show or stand-alone movie set during the 'Dark Times,' I'm casting my vote to include Thall Joben in some way, shape or form (even if I would fill in that bald section of his hairdo to match the other side - it's not 1984, anymore!). :)
  23. GunganSlayer Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I haven't previously bought any of the VHS/DVDs of Droids or Ewoks primarily because I wish they would just release the entire series, so if Disney ever gets around to putting them out, I'll definitely pick up my copy. Disney has done a decent job releasing several of their older animated series, so maybe their is hope.

I missed out on buying a copy of the Ewok movies when they were released on DVD, which I really regret because it's out of print and very expensive now. Still, they need to release these again in better quality, and provide a few a extras, like the Return of the Ewok short. A documentary explaining the reasoning why Lucasfilm created these films, and their entire production would be pretty cool, too.

These are definitely items that Disney has on the back-burner, and I doubt will see any of them anytime soon.
  24. CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I vote for a Holiday Special errr Special Edition. Keep all the Han/Chewie, Luke/R2, Leia/3PO, and Imperial scenes. Keep all the Art Carney scenes(since he interacts with the main characters and Imperials), maybe even keep the Bea Arthur Cantina scene(since we see a lot of familiar alien faces). And of course keep the cartoon.

But cut out all the other crap, the acrobatic aliens, Jefferson Starship, the VR sex thing that Itchy does in the living room in front of his family, on what's basically their Christmas day(crazy old people, sheesh). The cooking show can be entertaining, but I won't miss if cut. And trim down a lot of the Wookie whining scenes.

Put it in a set with the 2 Ewok movies, plus the Muppets SW episode, as well as the Sesame Street episodes that 3PO and R2 appear in.

For special features include the Donnie & Marie SW skit, any SW related segments from the 1977 Oscars, old SW toy commercials. The AFI tribute to GL.

I think that should about cover it(along with the Droids and Ewoks seasons sets), I'll be happy. :)
  25. Kez-Iban Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I have often wondered about Thall Joben's lightsaber too. I wonder why this has always been left a mystery and was never explained either in Droids or in anything since? It's strange that it was only seen in the first episode too, since it really could have come in handy later. I think the lightsaber is blue, but you're right, it's hard to tell. My guess is that the lightsaber must have deliberately been left in the speeder by a Jedi who was in hiding during the purge. If it was stolen, I don't see why it would have been left there, unless someone was trying to get revenge on Thall by framing him as having some connection to the Jedi, possibly as a sympathiser or a failed apprentice. I think the Jedi on the run scenario has to be the most likely though.
    Any ideas on who it could have been? Who survived that used a blue lightsaber besides Obi-Wan? It had to be a male too. Coleman Kjac may have been a survivor, but I don't know if the color of his lightsaber has ever been revealed. Could it have been the clone of Galen Marek? I think he had a blue lightsaber, but I'm not sure if the timeline would line up for him to be a candidate. Didn't Droids take place earlier?
    I think the ideal place to solve this mystery would be either in the Dark Times comic series or in a Purge comic. Hopefully someone who works at Darkhorse is aware of the Thall Joben lightsaber mystery and sees the potential for a story here!
    Another little Droids loose end that I would like to see resolved involves the activities of Jann Tosh's family during the Clone Wars. On the Kenner Droids action figure cards, Jann's bio said that he was orphaned during the Clone Wars. But what was the circumstances of his parents deaths? Were they just caught in the crossfire? Which side did they support? Were they just average citizens, or did they play a more important role in the war?
    Anyway, good discussion! Hopefully it will keep rolling!