main
side
curve
  1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels (or any show vs any other show) bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.
  2. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Classics Droids cartoon, Ewoks movies and the Holiday Special

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by sith_rising, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 5

Jul 31, 2014
    Umwak's nephew looks like a normal kid.

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Well, it's 2017 and we still don't have the Ewoks/Droids cartoons on DVD/Blu-ray (in their entirety). Very disappointing. I would have been satisfied if Lflm./Disney had, at the least, cleaned the prints up & released them to streaming only - that would have been far better than nothing. As it stands, however, I doubt we'll ever get these released at this point.

However, I hope I'm wrong.

revan772 likes this.
  3. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I have a feeling we won't be getting them either, but like you, I hope I'm wrong. LFL under Disney doesn't seem to have much interest in Star Wars productions that were made before the Disney acquisition.

4. starocean90

starocean90 Force Ghost star 7

Feb 19, 2014
    Abe Vessor@whatscanon 7h7 hours ago
    @pablohidalgo Serious question-Are the Ewok movies canon? I actually really enjoyed those when I was younger and still do today.
    Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgo 6h6 hours ago
    @whatscanon If someone really wanted to overwrite them, I don't think there'd be a huge fight. But I can't imagine anyone doing that.

I always considered them canon even though they aren't officially especially given that Lucasfilm was never going to do anything with the Ewoks that would actually make those movies obsolete.

Master Kinard and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Host, PT Interview Thread star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    interesting.

revan772 and Master Kinard like this.
  6. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I will continue to consider them canonical until they are explicitly overwritten.

(By the way, did anyone else notice that Pablo was reading a book with the name 'Wicket Goes Fishing' in one of the Rebels Recon videos and called it research? I wonder what he meant by that).

7. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    Has anyone ever heard a good explanation from someone at Lucasfilm like Pablo as to why we are not seeing any of the classic Star Wars TV shows on DVD, streaming, etc.? I have asked him and Matt Martin more than once and the only kind of answers that they seem to give is that it's someone else's decision or that a lot has changed since they were considering putting the episodes on starwars.com years ago. Every answer that I have ever seen offers 0% hope and no real explanation as to why not.

8. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    They're not canon. For that reason, you can find full Clone Wars episodes on YT and Disney won't take it down.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Soliloquist of SWTV star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Canon's got nothing to do with it. It's more about user interest and complex copyright laws than anything else. And unfortunately there's not a whole lot to be gained by LFL by releasing these old shows on newer formats, so it's either at the bottom of the to-do list or on the "we can't even realistically do this" list.

10. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    That's exactly what I have been thinking. I wish Lucasfilm could just come right out and say this though so we can stop hoping. I'm curious though, what do you think the copyright issues may be? I have always guessed that there are some, but have never heard anything definitive from Lucasfilm.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Soliloquist of SWTV star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's more speculative on my part. I know copyright and distribution issues can hamstring shows and movies. Could depend on the original broadcasters of the shows not wanting to work with LFL or Disney, or vice versa.

12. starocean90

starocean90 Force Ghost star 7

Feb 19, 2014
    but the original broadcasters for the 2 Ewoks movies, the Droids and Ewok animated series are ABC. Supposedly both animated show were co-produced by Nelvana.

anyways concerning Droids and Ewok animated show all the episodes can be found on youtube and online.

13. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    While bootleg and online versions of both series exist, I'd still love an official release. You'd think Disney would milk the SW universe for all its worth. There must be enough people that grew up with these shows and a new generation of parents that would show these to their kids to make a profit...

When it comes to copyright, I thought the only issue was the theme music, as I vaguely recall that being mentioned many years ago when the DVDs with combined episodes were released.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    No one gives a **** about those, that's the problem, i think.

15. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    I would love an official release as well. I have seen decent copies of all the Droids episodes, but many of the Ewoks episodes that you can find, as well as the Holiday Special still look pretty rough. I think it would be nice if Lucasfilm could preserve their own history though, rather than leaving it to people who still have old VHS recordings from the 80's. I do think that there are enough serious Star Wars collectors out there that really would want to own official, good quality copies of every Star Wars TV show. I admit that it probably wouldn't be massively profitable for Disney to do this, as it would mostly appeal to die-hard Star Wars collectors and some who have not seen these shows before and are curious. It would be fan service. Would it be less profitable than than releasing sets of other 80's TV shows and cartoons? I don't know. Overall, I'm guessing that the main reasons that Disney/Lucasfilm has not released official sets is possibly because of rights issues, not wanting to promote a product that was not made by Disney, and the lack of substantial profit. If they wanted to, Disney could probably recruit film students and Star Wars fans who have the talent to restore something like the Holiday Special for free to be distributed at a future Star Wars Celebration, but I doubt this will ever happen.

Blur, Valency Jane and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2015
    I saw the White Witch on youtube yesterday. Was better than I thought it would be. Really liked the art design of stuff. Since it was made in a time closer to the OT, the designs of the tech and characters (those wierd half mohawks the bikers have) have, in retrospect, a really neat retro look to them. Though they do it to a small extent, I wish they would make the characters on Rebels look a bit more like they were designed in the 70s and 80s.

17. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    It would be great to see some of those 80s punk elements in Rebels - they could even include the characters directly from Droids, like Jann Tosh, and explain how he ended up with a lightsaber.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Host, PT Interview Thread star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    If they were going to milk it for all it's worth they would release Detours which literally no one has seen and is sitting somewhere in Lucasfilm.

darkspine10 and Kez-Iban like this.
  19. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    Does anyone know if the entire Ewoks series was ever released on VHS? As far as I know, all of Droids was except for Coby and the Starhunters. Has anyone here collected the VHS versions?

20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 5

Jul 31, 2014
    A couple of episodes were never on any VHS, as far as I know. Three Lessons, Prow Beaten, Party Ewok, perhaps a couple of others.

21. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Glad the Ewoks/Droids cartoons still have fans these days - nice to know, especially since both series are 32 years old (this year), and have been all-but-forgotten by many/most SW fans.

Great question! I wonder if music copyright issues are why we haven't seen a comprehensive home video release of both series?! I know that Droids & Ewoks minimal DVD releases came out back in 2004 - each DVD contained 2-3 episodes sloppily edited into one "mini movie". And, the theme music (and soundtrack in each movie) was changed from the original '80's versions.

Here's a clip of the great original opening theme song to Droids - the song is "Trouble Again", by Stewart Copeland; SC had been the drummer for "The Police" one of my all-time favorite rock/pop groups of the early '80's; the song definitely has an '80's synth pop/rock "vibe":

The above reminds me - not only does the picture & color need to be remastered for the Droids/Ewoks series, but the sound needs a lot of remastering as well.

I do remember that circa August 2012, Lflm. did announce that they would have both Ewoks/Droids available for streaming on their website - tentatively planned for Fall 2012. However, that Fall the announcement was made that Disney was buying Lflm., and also the SE was announced as well. So, I'm guessing the work that would be involved to remaster & officially stream two obscure '80's SW cartoons got lost in the shuffle....

Valency Jane and Kez-Iban like this.
  22. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    I haven't had a VCR or any VHS tapes since 1996, when my player broke; I never replaced this - since I always felt the VHS format was sub-par. Neither Droids or Ewoks series ever got a comprehensive VHS release - i.e., some of the episodes were released, but not all of them. Here's an informative link:

http://www.rebelscum.com/droids-ewoks.asp

I feel the VHS format is antiquated these days. I know players still exist, but I don't think any companies are producing new VHS tapes - not that I'm aware of, at least....unlike Vinyl records, which have experienced a resurgence in popularity...

23. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    Thanks for sharing the Droids intro Blur! It sure brings back the nostalgic feelings of watching Droids in the mid 80's. Both Droids and Ewoks really are a great time capsule of what it was to be kid and a Star Wars fan in the post Return of the Jedi 1980's - something that the younger generations will never get to experience or fully understand.

Blur and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

Absolutely! I'm in my 40's, and was a young teen when Droids/Ewoks made it's debut in Fall 1985. It was nice that SW was still "alive" to some extent, even though the last film (ROTJ) had come out two years beforehand. Other than these cartoons & the two Ewok made-for-TV movies (1984 & 1985), there wasn't a lot of other new material coming out. (I remember talking to a friend several years later (a fellow SW fan) who claimed that, unfortunately, SW was 'dead' by the late '80's).

Those cartoons were also a nice complement to the 1985 "Power of the Force" toys that came out that year. There was an "Ewok Battle Wagon" toy that was also in one of the episodes, and the "A Wing Fighter" came out in "Droids" packaging, since it was both in ROTJ & Droids. There was also an interesting line of Droids & Ewoks figures.

25. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    My idea is we see Thall Joben, Jord Dusat and Kea Moll as Rebel couriers. They work as a speeder race team that works the race circuit to move information and material to route to the Alliance. You have those 3, the Sand Sloth freighter as their base, the White Witch race speeder, and use the Chopper concept art of a domed later C model (C2, C3??) astro droid with all original parts.

Trebor Sabreon and Ewok Poet like this.