main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Droids / Ewoks TV shows on DVD *confirmed*

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TiniTinyTony , Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Dreamer

Sith_Dreamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Well, I just got back from Wal-Mart and some other stores in the Day After Thanksgiving rush, and got All three DVDs of Ewoks, Droids, and the two Ewok movies. Only thing that sucks is, I have to wait till Christmas. Tell me how the transfer is. Wish there was a few more special features.

2. jedi26

jedi26 Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2004
    Hey guys I just got my copies of the Droids and Ewok
    Adventures DVD's as well and all I got to say I am
    impressed with the quality of each one of them the
    Ewok Adventures looks like they was just made instead
    of when I was kid and to the same goes for the Droids
    Cartoon DVD as well.I am glad Wal-Mart had these at a
    low price of $9,00 so I got a two for one specail I say
    get these while you can because after EP III ROTS comes
    out LucasFilm may put these classic star wars tales back
    in the LucasFilm Archives like Disney does there stuff so I have enjoyed my copies of these tele-movies already and there a whole heck of a lot better then My VHS copie of Battle For Endor that I recorded back when it was on ABC a lot so I say thumbs up to these classic star wars DVD's

3. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I got the ewok movies at walmart also. it was like 9 dlls. problem was they only had it in fullscreen. anyone seen the widescreen versions?

any added features?

the films look good and all, but they could have fixed the effects. whats up lucas?

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I don't think widescreen versions exist. Since they were made-for-TV, I'm pretty sure that 1.33:1 (4:3 - fullscreen) is the original aspect ratio.

5. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Here's another sad/geeky observation :p I believe this is the first time these movies have been referred to as Star Wars movies.

On the old releases, there wasn't a SW logo. On the back of Caravan of Courage it says "They helped crush the Imperial Forces in Return of he Jedi" and on the back of Battle for Endor it says "After taking on the infamous Darth Vador" (yes, the spelling is like that :p ). But other than these references there's nothing to say that they're part of the Star Wars timeline.

This has led to the general conclusion that the Ewoks movies aren't SW canon, but they are Ewok canon.

But now we've got an Ewoks DVD with a big fat SW logo on it. Now the movie itself still doesn't carry one of course, but it's still something we haven't had before.

So, the point of this rambling, does this make the Ewok movies SW canon? :-B

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

6. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Well, I remember that the Battle for Endor poster at video stores way back when, had a critic's blurb that said something like, "A worthy entry into the hollowed Star Wars Canon."

7. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Hmm, fair enough [face_thinking] I ain't seen that one!

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Did you guys notice that Jeremitt, Cindel's dad, got replaced by the principal from The Breakfast Club, :p for his brief role in Battle for Endor?

Also, what did you guys think about Cindel's entire family getting wiped out in the first ten minutes of Battle for Endor? :eek:

9. jedi26

jedi26 Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2004
    Hey guys I watched both Ewoks:Caravan of Courage and
    The Battle for Endor DVD yesterday and I was surprised
    that the quality of the films looked so good it looks
    like they was just made instead of when I was a kid and
    to seeing these movies again was a treat because I had
    not seen these two tele-movies since no telling when
    and also I noticed in the Battle For Endor movie that
    Noah metiond that him and his friend Sallik were tearing
    up the Galaxy when they crashed on Endor makes me wonder
    if he wasn't helping out in the Battle over Endor in
    Return Of the Jedi hmmmmmm.And Also I noticed that Lucas
    Film did not redo the SFX I guess they wanted to show
    how far SFX has come since the eightes I guess but anywho
    two great movies two fit in your star wars collection and
    to I must encourage Star Wars fans out there get these films while you can because LucasFilm may put these back
    in the Lucas Archives After SW EPISODE III ROTS comes out like Disney does there stuff.........

10. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    I saw the two movies at the theaters when they came out. they do exist on widescreen. they were shot with a regular film camera. it sucks that they didnt fix the effects and offered them in Widescreen. maybe later.

by the way, the films are wonderful and that little girl acted greatly methinks.

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Um, I didn't think they were released in theaters. I thought they were made-for-TV (or video) movies. :confused:

12. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    They were made for TV. However, Caravan was released in theaters in the UK. I'm not sure if it was shown in 1.33:1 or in a widescreen ratio, but if it was in widescreen, it would've had to have been matted. I'm not aware of any theatrical release for Battle for Endor.

13. meelWORM

meelWORM Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2002
    Oops! My four year old nephew loves everything Star Wars, so in anticipation of the new DVD's, I pulled out my old Ewok cartoon tapes and let him watch them. Well, now he doesn't want to watch the Ewok cartoon DVD at all because it doesn't have the E-e-e-ewok song!! Well, I guess I'll be keeping these tapes out of the closet for awhile longer :/

14. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    See? Even the kids get hosed this way. Great job, LFL. You've messed this up for every possible faction of the fanbase. :mad:

[/disgruntled fanboy]

15. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Well, I've purchased the combo pack for the droids/ewok cartoons and the Ewok movies. I've watched Caravan of Courage and part of the droids cartoons (man I forgot how cheesy those cartoons were. They're still entertaining though).

The Caravan of courage was really fun to watch but I have to admit that I am amazed at how many editing problems I saw in the movie. Here are a couple of examples; when Mace is climbing down from the cage that his parents are in you can see Wicket's older brother standing there with the other ewoks. However this same brother is the one that led the Gorax away just a couple minutes earlier. Maybe he was cloned during the clone wars? :p Another example was with Mace and when he got his hand bitten by the creature in the tree. When he gets bitten it is obvious that it was his right hand that was being attacked in the tree. Later on when Wicket's Mom tries to tend to Mace's injured hand, it is the left hand. ;)

Anyway, despite these little blooper shots that I noticed, I still love these films. :D They are definately worth purchasing if you are a Star Wars fan. Your collection wont be complete without them.

The biggest complaint I have is the lack of special features of any kind. These are just the straight up shows with nothing else added to appease the fanboys that love deleted scenes, additional information, interviews, and etc. That's a bummer but I guess it's better than nothing. The quality of the footage is definately improved though. When I compare the DVDs to my old VHS tapes, it's amazing how much nicer the DVDs look.

16. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    I'm totally with ya Vez. I just finished watching them (as they just arrived in the mail from Amazon today for me) and I'm quite happy to have them. While I think that not everyone will appreciate them, those of us who were fans of these movies before should definetely be encouraged to by them. For instance, I don't think that my roommate would like the movies very much as he isn't too much of even a Star Wars fan... so it'd be difficult for him to find any real fun in it. But my complaint also runs along the same lines with the lack of special features. I had hoped for something, anything at all even.

Truth be told, I've always had this inner desire to grow up and make the 3rd of these movies (since we in Star Wars just MUST have trilogies). If I had the resources, I'd go back and edit the two movies (to make CGI shots more modern, etc I suppose) and then I'd make number 3... when Cindel returns to Endor... could be like 'The Return of Charral'... she finds some way to get back in human form... *shrugs*

But anyways, I loved watching these movies again, total high of nostalgia.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>does this make the Ewok movies SW canon?<<

They're considered EU and exist at the same level of canon as the novels and comics, etc (c-canon). Despite Lucas's involvement, they are not g-canon.

18. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I always though the two films took place after Return of the Jedi. Yet in the EU cannon the films take place before ROTJ. It would seem odd for Wicket to learn to speak basic yet forget it when Princess Leia shows up. Despite what the EU say I consider these films to be post-ROTJ.

19. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I agree. It makes more sense for them to be post ROTJ.

20. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Anyone know which store rents this?

Blockbuster and Hollywood Video don't.

21. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I don't know. If Blockbuster doesn't have it, I don't know who would. Blockbuster is pretty much all we have in my area.

22. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I hate to buy it, not knowing I'll like it or not.

Besides it's $10 each, not cheap by any means.

It would help if you guys have some kind of clips onlines I can check out.

23. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    both of the films played in movie theaters internationally. for those who didnt have american television im old enough to rememeber watching the caravan of courage in south america at the time. there were indeed in widevision. I can recall it like it was yesterday.

the films are great. heartwarming and great for the holidays.

24. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I may have NO choice but to buy those.

Can't we petition Blockbuster to rent this?

Comon, let's sign some kind of petition.

25. Mc-Lan

Mc-Lan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2003
    Are there any plans to put the rest of the Ewoks/ Droids on dvb?

This post made possible by Mc-Lan :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.