main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Droids using the Force?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by JJGianunzio, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJGianunzio

JJGianunzio Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2001
    In one of the short stories from the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book, the one about 4 LOM and Zuckiss, 4 LOM is trying to develop an equation that would allow him to use the force. He is hanging out with Zuckiss because he is a Gand Findsman who uses "intuition" to determine the outcome of things. 4 LOM has studied him for a long while and found that his intuitions have a high degree of accuracy. At the end of the story, 4 LOM meditates and gets a vision of the future.

At first I thought that this story was really silly, I mean a force using droid? Droids are not living and so you might conclude that they would have no control over the force. But what if a droid who has not had a memory wipe for a very long time and who developed a personality acted so much like a living thing that it actually became one in the sense that its thought processes matched or could be adjusted to match those of a living being. Would it then be able to learn to use the force. I find the idea very interesting.

I think that I am going to put a force using droid in my next adventure and see what the players think of the idea.

What do you guys think?

2. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    I think all droids are an abomination and that they must all be destroyed!

GLORY TO YUN YUHHAZAN!!

J/K :p

I think that if you set up the story right it could go over very well. However, if you just throw it at the players, I think that some of them might find it a little odd.

3. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I am quite particular about following the established rules for the Star Wars Universe in my game, so I would never allow a Force sensative droid. However, If you and your group are more willing than i to take liberties, then go for it; having fun is what gaming is all about. It would still take a very good story to provide an explaination as to why this droid is the only one out of millions, maybe billions, that can feel and use the Force.

4. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    I agree there would need to be a significant reason for why this specific droid was able to feel the will of the force.

5. Jedi_Master_Lennier

Jedi_Master_Lennier Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
    It is possible that 4 Lom was not in touch with the Force, but was in fact using a complicated program to calculate a possible future. In my belief droids cannot learn to manipulate the Force.

6. JJGianunzio

Oct 19, 2001
    "In my belief, droids cannot learn to manipulate the force."

My reply to this is "why not?"

The force flows through everything and can be manipulated by those who have the ability to recognize it. The force is flowing through 4 Lom, perhaps he has just fund a way to exhert his will into it. I mean the force is flowing through all of him, even his circuit like brain, The force may be responding to the electrical signals sent through his brain just as it would respond to the signals in a humanoid brain. What it would really come down to is how close a droid's brain is to a humanoid's brain.

7. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    No, the real question at hand is what does the force recognize as "alive."

8. Jedi_Master_Lennier

Jedi_Master_Lennier Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
    Never thought I`d use this. Midi-chlorians are a microscopic life form that resides within all living cells. Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist and we would have no knowledge of the Force. Or in a slightly different slant where does it stop Jedi Master YT-1300.

The only point that matters though is he is the GM and what is in their game is up to them.

9. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Good point about the midi-chlorians.

10. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    I hated the idea of midis...in my SW campaigns there are no midis.

11. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I am not fond of them either, but they are canon.

12. JJGianunzio

Oct 19, 2001
    What if the droid had a neural net brain. That could account for the midi-chlorians in that neural nets are organic.

I know the force using droid is a long shot, but you have to mix it up every now and then to give players a good experience. Surprise is a good thing in an RPG. Who would ever suspect a droid using the force? It would even seem very strange to a force user. That is why I like the idea.

13. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Even better the force using droid: no one ever suspects that Ewok that has been the party mascot is the Sith Lord bent on galactic conquest. [face_devil]

14. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    LOL! THAT is a great idea!

If your so set on a force using droid, you could consider someone kidnapping one of your force using characters, have the kidnapper take them to a very high tech medical lab, filter their blood for all their midis, and inject the midis into a droid or into themselves...I think you get the idea [face_devil]

15. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Didn't Nichos Marr lose his ability in the Force once Cray put him in a robot body.

(yes I know this was one of the most retarded stories ever to exist, if Im not mistaking it was written by KJA which would explain why it is so retarded)

16. Dev_Jannz

Dev_Jannz Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2001
    Jedi_Xen,

The story of Cray and Nichos was in Children of the Jedi which was written by Barbara Hambly.

I personally like KJA better then BH.

17. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Back in the Adventure Journels there was a species that had to use a droid 'shell' to move about and interact with others. You could have one of them that is Force Sensistive and that would solve your problem.

18. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Interesting idea, Wylding. Next time I feel like being particularly evil...

19. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    My players love me...they know that anything goes when I'm running the campaign.

Glad I could be of help. I'm all for making gm's a little more evil!

20. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    My players claim they have never met a GM more evil and sadistic than me. I will throw any thing I can find at them.

21. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Well you could have the droid be partially made of biological tissues for certain parts of its make up. The droid then may be able to use the midiclorins in the living tissue to use the force. IF the living tissue is on the inside of the droid it is possible that no one would ever know about the tissue until they look inside.

22. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Wouldn't that be a cyborg, not a droid?

23. GreyJediAntarFodoh

GreyJediAntarFodoh Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2001
    That would be a cyborg, by definition...

When I think about Force sensitivity, I think about life... What is life, really? Is it something organic? Does it really have to be? Think about it this way... If you could construct a droid that was identical to a Human in every respect and every mental pathway but made with sinthetic materials, would it not think and feel like a person? Would it not really be alive? Life comes in many forms and I really think that if a droid was active long enough and didn't have any memory wipes AND was a complex enough design that it would and probably WOULD attain sentience and become a life form and therefore have the potential to be Force sensitive.

That's my thoughts...

24. FusionBlaster

FusionBlaster Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Oh just for your knowledge people fINGORFIN did not come up with the ewok sith lord, a mutual friends did. And fIN I don't think your the most Sadistic. At least not in Star Wars (Oh crap now my charater is gonna die)

Edit: Oh yes and Grey that actually makes sence to me. That might work to make a Droid able to feel the Force.

25. GreyJediAntarFodoh

GreyJediAntarFodoh Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2001
    I'm glad at least one person got my meaning. I was half expecting a bunch of "huh" replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.